End Of The Strike And Future Plans

alex28

Well a Strike is not always about winning or not, it's about principles, it's about defending your rights and your believes.

Not only that. One of the first objectives on every strike is to put an issue in the spotlight. And certainly in this case the strike has been a success. Now everybody knows how dependant of Addic7ed is the subtitles community. And everybody in subtitulos.es knows that they have to address better any issue that arises between their site and Addic7ed.

salu2

JulesWindu
"Don't you just love the pitter-patter of tiny feet in huge combat boots? ... ... ... SHUT UP!"
Mal Reynolds (Firefly)

Astonished that someone considers himself a "customer" and complained. This kind of person probably has no clue what it takes to produce good subs and perhaps does not remember when we had to wait much longer to get last night's tv show subs. Now they are ready by the time I get up the next morning (USA time). That is a huge convenience and I can tell you that I sure appreciate it even if some ingrates don't. There are givers and there are takers. Thanks, Addic7ed team (the real A team) and all the volunteer sub uploaders, for giving us so much.

Just a small reminder of how many people are dependent on Addic7ed.com for subtitles. Keep up the great work.

I wasn't affected by this event since I was on the road at a conference and had no time to d/l subtitles. I am now back and glad to have missed this.

Again, keep up the good work. Addic7ed.com is, by far, the best source for quality sub-titles!

Hello! I don't know what it's going on, I'm just a tv series addict but this "Some said "the customer is the king". I remind you you're not our customers and we owe nothing to anyone." got my attention.
I agree with you. You are not obliged to do this but you do it anyway. So.. thanks a lot & keep up the good work!!

I am grateful about the work that is being done here.
All of my posts have been about this so called strike and how futile it is to try and control the information on the internet.

Ok you made your point already and 0 or 1 people agree with you. Hammering what you think on us won't change nothing. So,

stoppostingv.jpg
  • Like 1

Man, are we still on this ? It can go on for days and days....
Can we move forward please ?
Main news here is that Addicted is back in business !
End of the story !

• Like 1

Hi all. First of all, I wish to thank Addic7ed for ending the strike so that the hearing impaired community can benefit from this. Second of all, those of you who have criticised this strike in any way or other should feel rather ashamed. This website is a free website. No one as far as I know have demanded any monies from the common users. It is the hard work of all the people who have contributed to this website (that includes ME although I have only uploaded a few) that makes this one of THE most popular destinations that people go to for their subtitles. If people continue to criticise this, they should refrain themselves from using this website. Perhaps the other websites can serve them better with sub-standard subtitles. From this "crisis", we now know who our allies are.

Once again, thank you honeybunny, Alex28, elderman, chamallow, rafaelupd, n17t01, etc just to name a few! Three cheers for them! hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray! :)

• Like 1

thank God it ended finally. you know what, addcit7ed is the best always!!!! without it, I felt like i am lost.coz i am using it to learn english and other languages better. thanks to your hard work, I got imporvement. Maybe someday my level becomes native tongue level, i will help out the subtitle. At last, Keep on doing what you do , guys.

Hi everyone on the Addic7ed team.

Im a user from Belgium and I must tell you how greatfull I am for your work!
you make the subs available for us so fast, Its impressive!!
The strike was a terrible thing for me so I started to read about it and I can tell you I totally agree!
you deserve the credit for the hard work you do! and even if you can't control who copy and paste your subs,
you are right to be upset about some people using your work and giving credit to themselves.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you your users are on your side!!

Thank you a lot for what you do! without you I would miss a lot of info in my favorites TV shows!
Hope my english is not too bad (cause I usually speak french)
keep up to good work! and thank your for being back!

• Like 1

I would like to thank the admins for the ending of the strike. I think it was only their choice to make a strike or to take any measure they wanted about subtitulos.es practices... They chose to denounce it with a strike and with all the things they make for us, who I am to complain about it ?

Obviously, it could be more or less useful, i think it has been useful to some extend, but I'm fairly happy because now i understand more about subtitulos.es, a website i visited every now and then but that after all of this I'm not visiting it more because it seems that the admin there allows something that i don't like. People here spend a lot of time working in subtitles and i don't think anyone is entitled to steal his job. My hopes are that a lot more of people think as me and subtitulos.es is forced to ban the users that makes this, but what I think really is that a person that has a website with so many visitors should exhibit some respect to a website like the one he has.

To finish this mail, just a friendly remainder to alex, bunny and all the folks that make this website great... You should be proud about this website, no other website nor any user opinion should avoid this. Keep doing this great job and you could count with the gratitude of a lot of people.

• Like 3

You have no idea how grateful I am for all your work. For some who said most users don't care where their sub comes from, well, they are only partially right because yes, ppl do care because when you get a sub from some place else, you see a significant different in speed and quality. Anyway, I am so glad the strike is over and we can get back to normal. :D

Ansset (a subtitulos.es user) said 98(?)% of the subtitles you use are from other places (probably 2% are stolen..but hey, who's counting?) and not Addic7ed.

The ironic thing is of course that dialog in a movie or a TV show is copyrighted, so by writing it down you are violating their copyright - ie, stealing their intellectual property. And I bet you are not going to accept that but make up an excuse, like those Spanish guys did for what they do - human nature after all ;)

You proved your point, and you all were excellent yesterday.
Some one said that users ( i can't say customers because we don't pay for it) don't care where their sub comes from, I can say that is not true. Practice thought me to always look for addic7ed.com subs, and not only me but my friends too.
Keep the great job, all the best from Italy and Serbia.
You're the best.

• Like 1

The ironic thing is of course that dialog in a movie or a TV show is copyrighted, so by writing it down you are violating their copyright - ie, stealing their intellectual property. And I bet you are not going to accept that but make up an excuse, like those Spanish guys did for what they do - human nature after all ;)

Copyright is a set of exclusive rights granted by the law of a jurisdiction to the author or creator of an original work, including the right to copy, distribute and adapt the work. Exceptions and limitations to these rights strive to balance the public interest in the wide distribution of the material produced and to encourage creativity. Exceptions include fair dealing and fair use, and such use does not require the permission of the copyright owner. All other uses require permission and copyright owners can license or permanently transfer or assign their exclusive rights to others.

Fair use, a limitation and exception to the exclusive right granted by copyright law to the author of a creative work, is a doctrine in United States copyright law that allows limited use of copyrighted material without requiring permission from the rights holders. Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship. It provides for the legal, non-licensed citation or incorporation of copyrighted material in another author's work under a four-factor balancing test.

I'd quote the balancing test but it's rather long with tons of paragraphs and examples, so I'll break it down into the basics. Since the in no way shape or form claim the subtitles to be a script of their own work, it does qualify for fair use. Under the balancing test it asks questions such as, Does the reproduction take anything away from the original source, is the author (in this case the author of the script used for the show) losing monetary value.

The subtitles enhance the viewing experience for those that are unable to understand or hear the show, so it adds value to the experience which in fact helps the show since the show gains more fans and viewers.

Granted for the most part these shows are downloaded and viewed somewhat unethically, but that is for the television networks to complain about as they are the ones losing ad revenue, not the show, it's writers, creators and actors/actresses.

For many these shows would never be seen in some cases due to locale.

Under the copyright is a part about moral rights. This is where the work on creating these subtitles fall into from an Addic7ed standpoint.

"Some jurisdictions also recognize moral rights of creators, such as the right to be credited for the work. Even if an artist has assigned his or her rights to a work to a third party, he or she still maintains the moral rights to the work."

This is all Addic7ed asked, was that Gabriel moderate his website to ensure that the work done by Addic7ed was properly credited. A very reasonable request considering, most all of their content was due to the quick and accurate work done by Addic7ed.
  • Like 1

I need to say thanks too. I am a spanish tv series watcher, and i really felt offended for wat subtitulos.es did. I never download subtitles from subtitulos.es, one thing is true, it is a mediocre site, and the only thing they do is to steal and make bad translated / missing lines subtitles. I always prefer watchin english subtitles than using bad neutral spanish (that is not the same as spanish native languaje and unfortunately almost all the admins on subtitulos.es are not spanish) subtitles. So, thx admins for the end of the strike, and as a note, i need to say some other spanish subtitle sites (and others non spanish of course) are already angry for the stupidity of subtitulos.es, but im glad Addic7ed (the best as far as i know) is still on the road -.-

• Like 1

I am a great fan for France. I know What a job it is to do what you do everyday because my son used to help a french site.
I must say I was horrify yesterday reading all the post. especially those who claimed you had to deliver THEIR subtitles and arguing you had no right to stop doing it wathever your reason where. unbelievable.
My english is too bad to motivate my support .
I just want to say :
a big thank you is all what you deserve and be sure your work made during your free time enjoy my free time.

I accept that (read my previous posts here and there). How can i say we own the subtitles when we actually don't? We didn't make the text / the transcript. It's not ours.
This all thing was about them stealing our work. We worked to correct the text and to synchronize the timings. That can take from 30 minutes to 2 (or more) hours... for a single file.
  • Like 1

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.