Subtitle Edit (open source subtitle editor)

Nikse

It works fine on Vista/Win7. All fonts I've tested on Vista/Win7 are Unicode fonts :)
The subtitle above works fine on WinXP - with a Unicode font! You can change font in MPC-HC in Play -> Subtitles -> Style. Perhaps MPC-HC has some auto jump to a Unicode font, when opening utf-16 (Unicode) files!?

It's still quite a mystery to me, cos as I've said, it doesn't always happen and I have already tried different font styles... with no luck :(
The only thing that works... so far, is the UTF-8 -> save as Unicode -> save as UTF-8 "trick".

Thx for your suggestions and for all your help :)

It's not the years in the life, but the life in the years dQVXh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've just read a post about - what else - a subtitle request for a show. And a very helpful user answer back to that requst, posting some files in attachement. Nothing unusual until here.
But, those files are in .xml format, so, it is need to convert them to .srt.
I've flooded Google with searches about some converting .xml to .srt software, and guess what?
The very first of searching returns was about a very nice software, named Subtitle Edit, version 2.8 and some other numbers!
I've said in my mind: "Silly doc, you had proper software under your nose and you don't know about that".:)

I've started SE latest version that I have, but surprise!
There is just options like Open files , Reopen, Import file as.., Import file from, but nothing about convert .xml to .srt.

So, in my good carping way, am I wrong with something, meaning SE know to convert but I don't how, or, this lastest version doesn't have such an option?
Or, such a converting option is not so common and doesn't worth to work on it?
I'm just asking.
And also carping.
:D
doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Hi there,

I've just read a post about - what else - a subtitle request for a show. And a very helpful user answer back to that requst, posting some files in attachement. Nothing unusual until here.
But, those files are in .xml format, so, it is need to convert them to .srt.
I've flooded Google with searches about some converting .xml to .srt software, and guess what?
The very first of searching returns was about a very nice software, named Subtitle Edit, version 2.8 and some other numbers!
I've said in my mind: "Silly doc, you had proper software under your nose and you don't know about that".:)

I've started SE latest version that I have, but surprise!
There is just options like Open files , Reopen, Import file as.., Import file from, but nothing about convert .xml to .srt.

So, in my good carping way, am I wrong with something, meaning SE know to convert but I don't how, or, this lastest version doesn't have such an option?
Or, such a converting option is not so common and doesn't worth to work on it?
I'm just asking.
And also carping.
:D
doc.

Hi Doc!

SE converts by using the "Save as..." in the "File" menu - or changing format in the format dropdownlist in the toolbar.

XML is a "definition" format, so there are endless possibilities for creating different xml subtitle formats (SE already supports about 3 different xml formats) - and I've just added the ABC iView xml format: http://www.nikse.dk/se/subtitleEdit.rar

SE converts by using the "Save as..." in the "File" menu - or changing format in the format dropdownlist in the toolbar.

Hi Nik,

I was sure that I'm doing something wrong, or I'm not doing at all :) .

I was trying to open that .xml file as any other file, but on open options are just usuall subtitles extensions.
The only way that I could open a .xml file was Import as plain text.
Any other try was unsuccesfull.
Thank you for the tip.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Yes, that should include xml... ;)

That should, but look here:

2d8i8sy.jpg

and when I tried to open that .xml file:

2yzmm9c.jpg
I don't want to bother you with silly questions, I'm just trying to understand what is wrong and where is wrong, if I need to make some extra settings and where.
Thank you.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

and when I tried to open that .xml file:

2yzmm9c.jpg
I don't want to bother you with silly questions, I'm just trying to understand what is wrong and where is wrong, if I need to make some extra settings and where.

It's exactly right - SE does not know this format (well, you don't need to send me an email, as *latest* version can read/write this format: http://www.nikse.dk/se/Subtitleedit.rar )

SE 3.1 out - with many bug-fixes/improvements and some new features too :)

Some of the changes are:
New: Collaboration via the internet ("Networking", also has chat)
New: Auto-backup (never, every minute, every 5th minute, or every 15th minute - thx swedelandster)
New: Video player/controls/wave form can now be un-docked (e.g. for ppl for multiple monitors)
New: Spell check via Word (Options -> Settings:General -> Spell checker)
New: Edit original subtitle (Options -> Settings:General:Allow edit of original subtitle - thx for testing Luis)
New: Wave form control can adjust play rate (slow, normal, fast, and very fast - vlc player only)
New: Ability to remember the last selected line when re-opening subtitles (thx Frederic)
New: Now remembers video file and original subtitle (thx Luis)
New: Support for the subtitle format "Quicktime text" (two variations) + Scenarist + Adobe Encore
New: Added "Chars/sec" info to textbox in main window (thx Kerensky)
New: Options to choose font color and background color (for list view/text-boxes)
New: Can now import VobSub subtitles embedded in Matroska (.mkv) files (thx mosu for mkv info + thx hawk for testing)
New: Wave form position can be locked at center via new 'Center' button (thx Krystian)
New: Can insert (a whole) subtitle after a line in the list view via context menu
New: Auto-suggest line splitting with button while typing (thx Dr. Jackson)
New: Auto-wrap text while typing (option, thx swedelandster)
New: Video menu will now have a "Choose audio track" if more than one audio track exists (only when using VLC as video player)
New: Bulgarian translation (thx Ivo Ivanov)
Improved: Main window: Video player will now automatically move up beside subtitle if waveform is displayed + some resizing of controls allowed via splitters
Improved: Context menu for subtitle textbox now has italic, bold, underline, font name, and color
Improved: Updated NHunspell (spell check component) to latest version (0.9.6)
Improved: Synchronization Show earlier/later changed a bit, also added a shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+A)
Improved: Added a few buttons to 'Multiple replace' which is now re-sizable (thx sialivi)
Improved: Moved video controls below subtitle preview (which now displays italic)
Improved: Fix common ocr errors improved (thx aMvEL, sialivi, Alberto)
Improved: Remove text for HI can now also remove interjections (thx Dr. Jackson)
Improved: Start/display time changes are now undo-able (thx Luis)
Improved: Subtitle preview on video player now more precise (thx hawk) + uses font from Settings + bold (thx Leszek)
Improved: "Point sync" can now also sync using only one sync point (thx tttoan)
Improved: VLC media player - mouse click now toggles play/pause
Fixed: Wave form: Fixed unprecise (out of sync) wave form data for some sample rates
Fixed: Crash with wave form track bar (thx Christian)
Fixed: A minor bug in initialization of waveform (thx Frederic)
Fixed: Several bugs regarding 'large fonts' / higher dpi (thx Radbert)
Fixed: Memory leak in VobSub SubPicture class (thx Almogzt)
Fixed: A bug that froze vlc after playing to end of video
Fixed: Missing line break in Sony Dvd Architect w line numbers (thx Rosa)
Fixed: A minor bug in Visual Sync, if end scene was after video length (thx tsieberg)
Fixed: OCR Fix Engine: Lines after "..." will no longer be changed to start with uppercase
Fixed: Bug in reading of SSA files (',' was removed) - thx Péter
Fixed: Line breaking bug in mpl format - thx Przemek
Fixed: Shortcuts for adjust commands Ctrl+Space/Shift+Space/F9/F10

http://code.google.com/p/subtitleedit/downloads/list

• Like 1

Nice and thanks Nik.

But, be ready, I have something to you ! :)

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Hi doc!

I would've been disappointed if you had not found a bug ;)

He, he,he, this time you are wrong, is not about a bug, I will send you an email with what I want to talk with you.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Hi, is there any way that the program also recognize and write down the "..."
at the end of a sentence with OCR via Tesseract? For example:

Original:
- I don't know what...
- It's okay.

After OCR:
- I don't know what
- It's okay.

The program always deletes the "..." at the end.
I couldn't find an option to disable this. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

Hi, is there any way that the program also recognize and write down the "..."
at the end of a sentence with OCR via Tesseract? For example:

Original:
- I don't know what...
- It's okay.

After OCR:
- I don't know what
- It's okay.

The program always deletes the "..." at the end.
I couldn't find an option to disable this. I hope you can help me. Thank you.

You can try to rename your "Dictionaries/eng_OCRFixReplaceList.xml" to see if it helps... if not, then you probably need to train Tesseract: http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/wiki/TrainingTesseract3
I've not tried myself. It looks a bit complicated - but also interesting.

Latest version looks great, Nikse! :D
Thank you and everyone else that helped with bug fixes, improvements and newly added features :)

Great work, guys! sWyK4.gif

Just a quick question:

In the previous version when you chose "show selected lines earlier/later", a window opened in which all the selected lines you wanted to time-edit appeared.
Now, only a small window opens with just the timecode in it. You have to move it a bit to the right so you can see the edits you'll be doing and scroll up to where the selection starts.

It's no biggy, I'm sure I'll get used to it... soon ^_^
I was just wondering if it's somewhere else in SE as an option and I've missed it, or if it's replaced by the one I described above.

Just a quick question:

In the previous version when you chose "show selected lines earlier/later", a window opened in which all the selected lines you wanted to time-edit appeared.
Now, only a small window opens with just the timecode in it. You have to move it a bit to the right so you can see the edits you'll be doing and scroll up to where the selection starts.

It's no biggy, I'm sure I'll get used to it... soon ^_^
I was just wondering if it's somewhere else in SE as an option and I've missed it, or if it's replaced by the one I described above.

The new Show earlier/later tool window was made due to multiple user requests (from ex-SW users I think - I've gotten this email a few times: "Hi, where's the delay tool?"). It's a tool window, so ppl can work in the main window without closing it.
Yes, it's a replacement.

The window position should be improved here:
http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip (exe only)

>...scroll up to where the selection starts
SE should not do this automatically, right?

By the way, in which format do you addicted guys/gals receive transcripts in? Could it be possible to see one of those files?

It's a tool window, so ppl can work in the main window without closing it.
Yes, it's a replacement.

Thx for the clarifications, Nikse :)

EDIT=> I sent you a PM including a transcript.

So, :D , here I am again. :)

What is all about.

I've said about remove interjections option and it's done.
But :P , I've noticed some errors.
I mean, it seems some of that words that I'm thinking that are interjections, are in same time in user dictionary, and because of that, sometimes remove option are not working well.
More of that, I've seen something like:
"Mm-Mmmm!" but after remove option I get back :) "M!"

Of course I've tried to add those words to what it seem like an interjection dictionary, but it doesn't work, even if I made another try to remove them (using remove interjection option again and again).
It seem it is necessary a true interjection dictionary, like "en_US.dic" or "name_etc.dic", I hope you understand what I meant.

Another one.:)

I've said about that split button and how split option to work, and it's done.
But :P , I have another ... let's say "ideea".:)
There are some transcripts that are, hmmm..., a mess, empty lines, wrong timing because of that, and so on (who tried to sync, for example, American Idol or Saturday Night Live or MythBuster will know what is all about).
So :) , is it possible that that split button from edit field can split a line from PROMPT position? (Split FROM WHERE prompt is?)

Many, many thanks Nik

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT=> I sent you a PM including a transcript.

Thx! I'm just trying to add sync by pressing a key at text ending...

So, :D , here I am again. :)

Indeed you are!

Sorry for the slow answer!

I've said about remove interjections option and it's done.
But :P , I've noticed some errors.
I mean, it seems some of that words that I'm thinking that are interjections, are in same time in user dictionary, and because of that, sometimes remove option are not working well.
More of that, I've seen something like:
"Mm-Mmmm!" but after remove option I get back :) "M!"

Hm, it mostly works here if I ad "Mm-Mmmm" to the "Interjections list"... do you have some examples where it's not working?

I've said about that split button and how split option to work, and it's done.
But :P , I have another ... let's say "ideea".:)
There are some transcripts that are, hmmm..., a mess, empty lines, wrong timing because of that, and so on (who tried to sync, for example, American Idol or Saturday Night Live or MythBuster will know what is all about).
So :) , is it possible that that split button from edit field can split a line from PROMPT position? (Split FROM WHERE prompt is?)

Latest SE 3.2 alpha can now do this (I hope): http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip (exe only)
(or if you compile it your self, get latest svn: http://code.google.com/p/subtitleedit/source/checkout)

Summer is getting closer :)
  • Like 1