Subtitle Edit (open source subtitle editor)

Nikse

Hm, it mostly works here if I ad "Mm-Mmmm" to the "Interjections list"... do you have some examples where it's not working?

I will post.

Latest SE 3.2 alpha can now do this (I hope): http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip (exe only)
(or if you compile it your self, get latest svn: http://code.google.c...source/checkout)

It works !!!
Now, SE is perfect. For me. :)
Thanks Nik, you've made a great software.

Summer is getting closer :)

Hmmm, some plans here, because I've already booked my vacation :D ?

doc

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have a feature request, but not sure if it's feasable. I would like to dual load 2 subtitles at once, and by just The click of a button replace the sentences in one subtitle with the sentences in the other... That way you could have a synced subtitle in english for instance, and replace the sentences with another language... It is only The sentences which would be replaced, The program should not mess with timings... This could be a real timesaver in getting shows translated to already synced releases :-)

GeirDM

@geirdm Space Cowboy!

I would like to dual load 2 subtitles at once, and by just The click of a button replace the sentences in one subtitle with the sentences in the other...

That way you could have a synced subtitle in english for instance, and replace the sentences with another language...

It is only The sentences which would be replaced, The program should not mess with timings...

This could be a real timesaver in getting shows translated to already synced releases :-)

GeirDM

That means those two subtitles must have the same number of lines !

SE has translate option, who open something like 2 subtitles at once :)

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

I know about the translate option... :) but that's really not what I want. And about same number of line, not be a problem for me since english and Norwegian have the same number in about 99 percent of the cases... But there could also be some kind of function to make uneven numbers work :) as I said I don't know if this would be doable but I could sure rack up translated synced subtitles with something like this...

@geirdm Space Cowboy!

I know about the translate option... :) but that's really not what I want. And about same number of line, not be a problem for me since english and Norwegian have the same number in about 99 percent of the cases... But there could also be some kind of function to make uneven numbers work :) as I said I don't know if this would be doable but I could sure rack up translated synced subtitles with something like this...

Hi Geir!

Have you tried File -> Import time codes?

Other thing: You are a mac user, right?
I know that libvlc (video player) runs on Mac and that it works with C#, so it should be possible to make a mac version of SE. Do you know C#?
I've made a small test version here: http://www.nikse.dk/semact.7z.zip (rename so it ends with .7z and extract with 7-zip)
It requires Mono (http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html) to run - must be run with "mono SubtitleEdit.exe" I think.

Hi Geir!

Have you tried File -> Import time codes?

Other thing: You are a mac user, right?
I know that libvlc (video player) runs on Mac and that it works with C#, so it should be possible to make a mac version of SE. Do you know C#?
I've made a small test version here: http://www.nikse.dk/semact.7z.zip (rename so it ends with .7z and extract with 7-zip)
It requires Mono (http://www.go-mono.c...s/download.html) to run - must be run with "mono SubtitleEdit.exe" I think.

Hi :) No I haven't tried the Import time codes option... Will try that out :) I am a newbie mac user, and the only laptop I have is a MacBook so I will definately try your mac program! That way I can maybe sync, correct and translate even when I'm on vacation this summer! Yay! :D

@geirdm Space Cowboy!

Hi :) No I haven't tried the Import time codes option... Will try that out :) I am a newbie mac user, and the only laptop I have is a MacBook so I will definately try your mac program! That way I can maybe sync, correct and translate even when I'm on vacation this summer! Yay! :D

I don't have a mac, so I cannot test it, and therefore it probably won't work (current version in source control should work on Linux with a few tweaks*)!
But it should be possible to make it work on mac...

*linux tweaks: mplayer2 is needed in the se folder and tesseract3 + hunspell need to be installed
Edit: Download link for Linux test version: http://www.nikse.dk/SE32PreLinux.7z.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! i'm too lazy to rtfm, so i ask here :P
is there any way to get video preview without damn vlc player? like subtitle workshop can?

Hi! i'm too lazy to rtfm, so i ask here :P
is there any way to get video preview without damn vlc player? like subtitle workshop can?

Yes, you can use DirectShow (which is default, see Options -> Settings -> Video player) - you'll need something like ffdshow tryouts: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/files/SVN%20builds%20by%20clsid/generic%20builds/
(hacked codec packs like k-lite might result in problems)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Nikse! Many thanks for your great editor.

May I do some requests / bug-reports? I'd rather post here than in comments to versions on the site. Sorry for my bad English.

1. Undocked windows (video/waveform/controls) have no controls for iconize/restore/zoom (only button to close), though all these functions are available via taskbar menu.
2. Undocked windows (video/waveform/controls) have the same titles. Can you add some title prefixes or different icons to differ them in the taskbar?
3. If I undock video/waveform/controls, then iconize any of them, then close the program, then open it, iconized window hides out of display bounds. Only some windows manager may restore it.
4. May the program restore these things after close-reopen: list view column widths, option to centre the cursor in the waveform, amounts of small/big jumps in the create/adjust controls fields?
5. May the list view maintain column widths after iconize/restore the main window and while I change the width of the docked video-player?
6. May you add some control/shortcut for undocked video-player to resize it according to video resolution (to scale video-frame to 1:1)?
7. May you add some control/shortcut for docking/undocking video/waveform/controls: very useful for quick workflow change according to various needs.
8. Please, please, add the option (control/shortcut) to select what is shown on the video and waveform in translate mode — original or translation. It is very useful for some translation steps.

Windows XP SP3, SE 32 (alpha).

Sorry. Many thanks again.

Hello Nikse! Many thanks for your great editor.

May I do some requests / bug-reports? I'd rather post here than in comments to versions on the site. Sorry for my bad English.

1. Undocked windows (video/waveform/controls) have no controls for iconize/restore/zoom (only button to close), though all these functions are available via taskbar menu.
2. Undocked windows (video/waveform/controls) have the same titles. Can you add some title prefixes or different icons to differ them in the taskbar?
3. If I undock video/waveform/controls, then iconize any of them, then close the program, then open it, iconized window hides out of display bounds. Only some windows manager may restore it.
4. May the program restore these things after close-reopen: list view column widths, option to centre the cursor in the waveform, amounts of small/big jumps in the create/adjust controls fields?
5. May the list view maintain column widths after iconize/restore the main window and while I change the width of the docked video-player?
6. May you add some control/shortcut for undocked video-player to resize it according to video resolution (to scale video-frame to 1:1)?
7. May you add some control/shortcut for docking/undocking video/waveform/controls: very useful for quick workflow change according to various needs.
8. Please, please, add the option (control/shortcut) to select what is shown on the video and waveform in translate mode — original or translation. It is very useful for some translation steps.

Windows XP SP3, SE 32 (alpha).

Sorry. Many thanks again.

Hi vmb!

That's a long list :)

1) It's how tool windows behave...
2) OK, fixed in latest 3.2 pre
3) Cannot re-create this
4) OK, last two options should be remembered in 3.2 pre
5,6,7) Don't know yet...
8) Just switch original/current - you can enable edit of both via Options -> Settings -> General:Allow edit of original subtitle

Latest SE 3.2 pre: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip (only exe)

What about a Russian language file? Google Russian included with 3.2 pre in "Languages" folder.
http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/Help#translate

2 Nikse

1. It's a pity.
2. Thank you!
3. Well... These are my steps with screenshots:

I undock video/waveform/controls, then iconize video player:

3b99cb89.png

594f0af0.png

then close the program, then open it and try to restore:

530bce8c.png

but iconized window hides out of display bounds (in the windows manager you can see negative coordinates above red line):

e775680a.png

4. Thank you!
5,6,7. I will hope :)

8. Well, let me describe my problems. Suppose I have an Original.srt. I can't open it at first as original, so I create new subtitle, open video file and save new file as Translate.srt. Still I can't open Original.srt. Well, I create a new line in some position just for possibility to open Original.srt. Then I delete a first dummy line. Oops! The first not-dummy line of Original.srt is deleted, but the first dummy line isn't deleted, it just takes the time of deleted original line! Well, I close the program. I create a new Translate.srt, paste the first line from Original.srt in it , then open Translate.srt and Original.srt, swap them in order to show the Original.srt on video player for translation process and then I must enter a translate in column of original text! Such a mess... In Subtitle Workshop, I could open Original.srt, toggle translation mode, toggle what is shown on video and start to translate (unless both option aren't saved from previous session — if so, I only open another Original.srt and start to translate). Isn't it much simpler? I do love your editor, it is much better then old Subtitle Workshop, but in translation process, it is still so difficult for me...

As for Russian translation of GUI, I'll do my best and will post the edited version here. It's a pity I can't view a context of some entries, so the version will need some improvements in future.

Thx for the explanations!

3) Ah, you mean 'Minimize'! OK, should be fixed here: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip

8) So you translate into an empty subtitle?
I always make Google do a rough translate first, and then modify the rough translation.

I'm not really sure how to solve this!
Could a File -> 'Make new translation from subtitle' or list view right click -> 'Make new translation from current subtitle' solve this?
(would have to be edited in the 'original' column I guess)

2 Nikse

3) Sory :) Thank you, fixed!

8) Yes, I am used to translate from scratch to avoid the influence of shady constructions of machine translation. I hope File -> 'Make new translation from subtitle' or list view right click -> 'Make new translation from current subtitle' will solve this. However I doubt that some unconformity between "original/translation" column titling and a real matter of entries (original/translation) is desired. Therefore I so much wanted the option of what is shown on the video/waveform, to avoid the swaping and the unconformity.

2 Nikse

3) Sory :) Thank you, fixed!

8) Yes, I am used to translate from scratch to avoid the influence of shady constructions of machine translation. I hope File -> 'Make new translation from subtitle' or list view right click -> 'Make new translation from current subtitle' will solve this. However I doubt that some unconformity between "original/translation" column titling and a real matter of entries (original/translation) is desired. Therefore I so much wanted the option of what is shown on the video/waveform, to avoid the swaping and the unconformity.

Nice 3 is fixed :)

About 8 - I've made the list view context menu solution where you can show current or original in previews. Let me know how it works and/or if I missed something ;)
http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip (exe only, overwrite existing SubtitleEdit.exe)

2 Nikse

That's it! Just great, thank you very much.

...if I missed something...

1. After creating the new empty translation and selecting of "Show original..." the option "Select current subtitle while playing" doesn't work (current line in the list is not selected).
2. And the field to edit the original text does not appear (that may be still needed).

3b1deffa.png

3. If I use the new "Make new empty translation" thing, after closing/reopening, SE opens only the translation (doesn't restore the original subtitles file and the double mode).
4. May be the menu entry of "Make new empty translation" should disappear/be deactivated in the double (translation) mode.

5. Many thanks for docking/undocking shortcut. However shouldn't we bind both functions to one shortcut? These are mutually exclusive functions and they can work as a toggle pair.

Thank you again for your time, patience and work. Please excuse my annoyance.

1. After creating the new empty translation and selecting of "Show original..." the option "Select current subtitle while playing" doesn't work (current line in the list is not selected).
2. And the field to edit the original text does not appear (that may be still needed).
3. If I use the new "Make new empty translation" thing, after closing/reopening, SE opens only the translation (doesn't restore the original subtitles file and the double mode).
4. May be the menu entry of "Make new empty translation" should disappear/be deactivated in the double (translation) mode.
5. Many thanks for docking/undocking shortcut. However shouldn't we bind both functions to one shortcut? These are mutually exclusive functions and they can work as a toggle pair.

Nice catches - should be fixed here: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip
Also, the menu items are now moved to the "Tools" menu... the list view context menu is already rather large.

Thank you again for your time, patience and work. Please excuse my annoyance.

He, np :)
Also, it's nice that you do test your requests (it IS annoying when people don't do that)

2 Nikse
Nice fixes) Only a few things...

1. Shortcut for dock/undock isn't saved in settings for me and doesn't work yet.
2. If SE restores the number of selected line after reopening, could it also restore the position in the video and waveform according to this line?

I try to edit the Russian translation, but Google have managed to mistake in almost each line and I must rewrite the major portion of text . May be after this weekend I will send you the corrected translation.

1. Shortcut for dock/undock isn't saved in settings for me and doesn't work yet.
2. If SE restores the number of selected line after reopening, could it also restore the position in the video and waveform according to this line?

Should be fixed here: http://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit.zip

I try to edit the Russian translation, but Google have managed to mistake in almost each line and I must rewrite the major portion of text . May be after this weekend I will send you the corrected translation.

Nice. Yes, Google translate still has room for improvement ;)

2 Nikse
1. Yeah, shortcut is OK now.
2. Still doesn't restore for me. It's funny: just after update, the position was restored, but after next reopenings the video and waveform are still at the start, though selected lines are restored.

3. Just a small issue: if I undock the windows and close SE, it restores coordinates and size of undicked windows. However if I dock the windows, close SE, open it and try to undock again, the windows have the default coordinates and size again (crowded in the left up corner). Could SE remember my coordinates and size of undocked windows forever?