Requesting Subs, An Afterthought

GeirDM

I write this on behalf of myself, as a member of the Addic7ed Team. It should be understood that I speak for myself before you read this. I am not an "official" Addic7ed spokesperson :)
It's funny. Since joining the Addic7ed Team, and spending lots of time getting the subtitles out, I've kind of had an epiphany. When I was merely a user of Addic7ed, a leecher... I often sat hitting F5 to see if the new subtitles from the shows I watch, was out on the site. And in many cases I was impatient as hell, wanting those subtitles so I could enjoy the show with my wife. But funnily enough, I was never one to push my impatience to the maintainers, moderators, translators, syncers or correctors of Addic7ed.

Having spent much time myself dabbling with getting subtitles, correcting subtitles for my own use I understood that this is often tedious work. It takes time. Especially so if you're aiming for perfection in the subtitles... And that pretty much sums up Addic7ed. After joining the team, I see the dedication, the time and effort that everyone on this team puts into each and every sub, to get it as close to perfection as possible. And I would like to share this experience with you, the users of this site, in the hopes that you will see why it takes as much time as it does getting those subs out.

When you're sitting in front of your PC eagerly awaiting subtitles for your show, before you hit the keyboard requesting, (and I'm talking about the newest subtitles here) ask yourself why it's not on the site yet. It's not because we like to sit on them, portion them out during the day... It's because fantastic hard work is being done on them, and constantly requesting just puts us off that work for a second or two. The motto is " When it's done " for a reason. We want you to have an exceptional experience right away when you watch your show. Not be distracted by errors, and flaws in the subtitle taking your mind off the show your watching, and putting it on the flawed subtitle because of sloppy work. Now we don't always get it right, (I speak of my own work saying so) but rest assured it's not because of lack of trying or wanting for the subtitles to be perfect for you. And we work constantly to get better. Now we wouldn't be here without you guys, so I don't mean you shouldn't request ever, but wait before requesting the newest subtitles, because they are probably being worked on right as you think about them. Hope you can understand guys, you are fantastic users following a fantastic site. Stick with us! It will only get better!

GeirDM

• Like 6

@geirdm Space Cowboy!

Nice words man, very nice words, many, many thanks.
Indeed, :) it is not easy to make an accurate subtitle file, with a proper syncronisation, without any grammar mistakes, without any missing lines, but, all those people involved in that work are trying to provide the most accurate subtitles, the fastest released subtitles and the best ever subtitles.

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

• 1 month later...

Really good post GeirDM, all you said was true (in my opinion)
Make subtitles is not that easy, we spend so much (daily) time to do them for you. I think you people don't realize that but, we do not are robots :lol:
If you could say "thank you" to the uploader/syncer when you download one of our subtitles, we'll enjoy it. It doesn't take time to say thanks, but we would be grateful :)

Mlmlte.

Nothing but a good time / Everything's relative.