How To Do Subtitles Right - I Need Some Sights And Tips

krzysiekx

Hello fellas,

I am Chris and I'm 19 years old boy from  Poland. I've been learning English for a long time now, almost my whole life. My parents were kind enough to sign me into various courses and after-school activities, since kindergarten. It turned out to be a great idea because as we found out I have some kind of talent to English. Of course I'm not keen on admitting it, I'm not that kind of guy.

Recently I'm rather unpleasant with how I spend my free time, so I got a splendid idea to translate some videos, movies into English and Polish. It turned out to be great hobby. I'm striving for more knowledge about it and I want to get my first big translation done soon! But that's the part when you, folks, come in. I found myself two great programs that can help me with making subtitles - Subtitle Workshop and Aegisub. Both are kinda essential making it a bit easier for a beginner like me. I tried to translate some music, American Dad episodes but I lack fundamental knowledge.

My questions are:

If I translate I should do it in English first and then change it to Polish?

I should do it in f.e. Word for the first time or get into Workshop out of the bat?

Should I try to put it on perfect timing at first or just put it nearby to fix it when I got 100% things translated?

Should I sync it while translating?

Is it okay to use other, already sync subtitles to translate them into Polish or we don't do that?

You sync using some other software or in Workshop?

What I should pay attention to the most at the start of my journey?

Does Subtitle Workshop/ Aegi support .srt format? 

Any tips, tricks and guidelines would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Edited by krzysiekx
  • Like 1

Hi, krzysiekx.

Welcome, and thank you for your interest.

Rather than going through your list, I would advise you to first visit the FAQ/Tutorials subforum.

I recommend, especially, topic and one too.

You'll find the answer to most of your questions there.

Happy reading!

Cheers, Alice.

• Like 1

The chickens are revolting!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Rather than launch a new thread, I'll post here.

I'm redoing some TV subs (not on Addic7ed), fixing syntax, chopping lengths, adding credits to original subber ...

The series has a Japanese title (not characters), which differs from the English translation.

I think there are ten episodes.

What title should I upload it as?

Japanese or English?

HK.gif