I need a method, a routine

amateur

Hello,

I've been using subtitles from addic7ed for a long time, but I had never imagined I would find a job working on subtitles myself.

I'm suppossed to proofread and edit the English subtitles for a Mexican Spanish soap opera.

I'm given a raw version of the subtitles (.srt) and asked to rearrange the lines (provided mostly as one-liners) and fix the sync problems, in-time and out-time, gaps between subtitle events, caps, etc.

I've been using subtitle edit, but it takes forever to correct every 45' episode (I spent 12 hours for the last episode, I kid you not).

So I need a method, a pattern to speed up my workflow, or else I'm afraid I will lose that job; I'm assigned two to three episodes per day.

Somebody recommend VisualSubSync, but other than the shortcuts, I can't see any adventage over Subtitle Edit.

Could somebody point out the best discipline to optimize my task.

Thank you.

Thanks 2secondes,

I've got it! And I'm trying it and have read the tutorials already, but don't see its benefits over subtitle edit.

Could you show in which way it tops other subtitling software?

It's easier and faster to sync with a "graphical" approach, in my opinion. And it's more accurate.
Plus, VSS's "check error" is the best friend of any syncer.

So you will do better work, faster. 

I also work with SE. I have no idea what the quality is of the raw version, I work as follows.

1. Download .srt + video and start / extract up the wave form

2. Make first round with Tools-Bridge Gap in durations: I use 24 milliseconds. This space will be placed between lines under this duration.

3. Fix common errors. The duration times and CPS are set in the Options-Settings (I use 1200-6000 and 23 CPS)

4. Watch the whole show with the raw subs first, you know what to expect

5. Start again and start spotting. Use F11 and F12 to start stop the lines. You can change your own short cuts in Options-Settings

6 For you reaction speed on the short cuts you probably will bring all lines little earlier on screen. How much this is depends per person. I have 200 millisecond response time. I use Synchronization - Adjust all line and type in desired adjustment.

7. Merge lines where needed, clean up.

8. Spell check (you can make your own dictionary)

Done.

As with everything, you have to learn and practice. For a 45 minute show I need (after watching the show) around 3 hours to make a nice .srt.

Good luck!

P.S. There is another way, you can use. The file is in Dutch but shows the drill.Send me by PM your email and I forward it by GE.TT or WeTransfer.

Edited by BorisVictor