[Updated] Server Not Found / Website Not Working For Some Users

alex28

Some of our users can't access Addic7ed.com, but can access the forum (this one) hosted on the same server.

Judging by this, it's most likely a DNS problem. After checking the domain and settings i found nothing... so i assume:

• Your ISP has to update the DNS records.
  • Your ISP filtered Addic7ed
  • Your ISP has some technical problems and somehow Addic7ed.com ain't working
  • Bunnies took over the world

Since users from more than 1 country reported this.. i don't really think it's an ISP problem.
In case you can't access it, it would be a GOOD idea to ask your ISP about it.

Meanwhile, there's a small fix you can do.
Change your DNS the ISP gives you.. use Google DNS.

Here's a tutorial on how to use Google DNS on your computer (Windows,Linux,OS X): Google DNS Tutorial

Using this should not affect your browsing on other websites or download speeds... in some cases it might even speed it up.

So, spread the word and talk to your ISP in case you cannot access Addic7ed.com

Feel free to reply to this topic.

UPDATE

Copy Pasta from Facebook:

I talked to my ISP and after 30 min they realized that their DNS records werent updated, so all the sudden they didn't have www.addic7ed.com in their records. They recommended me to use Goodle DNS :) And now it works perfectly!
(Jimmie Leimola)

So.. might not be a filter after all. Edited by alex28
bunnies took over the world.

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

Hello there. I live in Greece and lots of addic7ed users are Greek, so I want to mention that most Greek ISPs use Cached-DNS. I suppose this problem is caused by Cached-DNS too.

Forthnet, HellasOnLine, OnTelecoms, Vodafone and OTE-Connex is confirmed that they do use Cached-DNS.

By the way, it is good that the first thought was that the URL was filtered massively by ISPs! Movie industry bastards will do just about anything to get things their way...

Edited by Rm4g3dD0v

OH well... always think at the worst.

So i assume you can't visit addic7ed.
Did Google DNS help? I'm sorry to hear about the Greek community not being able to visit Addic7ed (i like Greece actually :P)

I thought at a temporary solution.. might put it live soon.
Anyhow, thanks for your feedback.

Hello. I live in Russia, so the most of our ISPs (mine, in particular) are using Cached DNS too. And there isn't the first time with access problems caused by this. I was really upset with addic7ed.com problem. And your temporary decision with Google DNS is not working for us as the users are not allowed to use other DNS addresses except for fixed ones or pointed by DHCP. But today there was a strange thing. During all the day I was able to access addic7ed.com just for 10 minutes or so, it happened for 3-5 times. But the rest of the time I couldn't access it. Was it caused by your actions? I remember you told about another temporary solution, so, it worked?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to resumption of addic7ed.com)

Hi! I don't know if this is of any help for other users, but since I got the "server not found" message while trying to access Addic7ed, and not having idea of whota google dns is, I tried to access the site with anonymose and worked. Easy peasy. So for anyone trying to visit Addict7ed, maybe this is the easiest way.

• Like 1

@Juststranger: Sorry to hear that.. you should be able to bypass the DHCP tho :) Check the tutorial i posted. No, i did nothing yet since i have an exam in a few hours and i got pretty busy. Will start doing something tonight.

@redkoros: DNS translates names (domain names) to IP addresses. Sometimes all this Name -> IP is cached by your internet provider and updated from time to time.
Google DNS allows you to use the DNS service from Google and not from your ISP. So basically, you get internet from your provider.. but you resolve websites from Google. Many times Google proved better than most of the ISPs, improving the browsing speed.
Visit this link if you want to learn how to use it: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

(pretty easy to setup actually, no need to install anything)

To alex28: Unfortunately, it seemes I can't bypass it since the connection isn't working with Google DNS IP addresses set. Though for other users who can set Google DNS it should work because it surely can resolve addic7ed.com. Take your time with exams and good luck. By the way, that random 10-minute-connections to addic7ed continue to happen, such a strange thing. Lucky me, I was managed to download all the necessary subtitles today.

• Like 1

Quite by chance, those who have connection problems, are they using connection through a proxy?

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Quite by chance, those who have connection problems, are they using connection through a proxy?

No, not all of them. For some users it works to stop using proxy, but some of us don't use it but still have connection problems.

That's strange and odd too.
I checked my connection settings, to me everything is on "automatic" and I have no problem accesing addic7ed.com
I'm asking you next all of curiosity (in fact, to better understand the problem, I hope you understand), to a time, acces to addic7ed.com was normally, then the problems started, right? Has not made changes to your firewall settings, did not update your browser or something like that.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

I'm really interested in what has caused such a problem covering different ISPs at the same time. Isn't it connected with addic7ed; did you change something or add something new?

Personally I can't change my ISP DNS settings, but inside my local network I can change DNS for Google ones for other computers. and it works!

I tested my ISP DNS addresses whether they can resolve addic7ed com. I did (for Linux):

dig @78.29.2.21 addic7ed.com
dig @78.29.2.22 addic7ed.com

78.29.2.21 and 78.29.2.22 are our DNS addresses (fixed ones). For Windows the command will be:

nslookup -debug addic7ed.com <DNS address>

And I got following:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> @78.29.2.22 addic7ed.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I've got no answer. Hence, my ISP's DNS can't resolve addic7ed.com. That's the problem. I think something caused a bad DNS entry cashing for some ISPs, they just need to flush it. But still don't know what caused it. Just want to understand.

Personally I can't change my ISP DNS settings, but inside my local network I can change DNS for Google ones for other computers. and it works!

I don't understand that!
Are you internet provider for another users?

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

No, I can't be called an ISP, but I have a small local network at home, one computer connected to the other one, so, we are sharing one Internet connection. So there are 2 different connections on the main computer: the connection with ISP and connection with another computer. I can't change ISP's settings, but I can change settings of the other connection. I understand, that's impossible, but it works for it. On the main computer I can't access addic7ed, on the other I can. It doesn't make any sense, but still.
There can be another explanation. As I've already reported, I can access addic7ed only randomly for several minutes. I don't get it.

[...]one computer connected to the other one, so, we are sharing one Internet connection. So there are 2 different connections on the main computer[...]

There are same OS on both computers? What I understand from an earlier post, you have LINUX as OS, at least, on one computer.

Or, on main computer you have LINUX as OS and also Windows for a sharing conection with a second computer. And you can acces addic7ed.com from your computer with Windows as OS, right?

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

No, not that. Windows in on the main computer (it's my friend's), and the second computer (mine) has Linux, and I can access addic7ed.com only using the second one. That's kinda weird, don't you think?

[...] to a time, acces to addic7ed.com was normally, then the problems started [...]

You don't answered yet to this question, and i think is important to have a entire image of your trouble.
My guess (at this time) is about some Windows settings.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

My answer is "yes". May be, you're right about Windows settings, but I didn't change any of them, and just one day I woke up, and the problems started. Meanwhile, I really appreciate your help, but today is a great day:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> @78.29.2.21 addic7ed.com
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 11012
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;addic7ed.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
addic7ed.com. 2981 IN A 94.23.219.7

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
addic7ed.com. 2981 IN NS ns52.domaincontrol.com.
addic7ed.com. 2981 IN NS ns51.domaincontrol.com.

;; Query time: 17 msec
;; SERVER: 78.29.2.21#53(78.29.2.21)
;; WHEN: Wed Jun 23 11:56:26 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 98

Actually, after a week my ISP finally fixes it! Thanks everyone for your help and for wasting your time to make it work :)