Technical help required

citizenfaguo

Hi,

I am right now translating subtitles for a DanishTV series (from English to French).

In the video version I use, less than 10% of the dialogs in another language (English, Swedish) are originally translated through hardcoded subs, in Danish.

So that my French subs are "mingled" with the HC subs and therefore difficult to read.

My question is: is there a way to create (through HTML, I think) a background to my French subs, so that they mask the underlying HC subs?

I don't want to modify the video file (ie blurring the HC subs).

Thanks for your help.

Citizenfaguo.

FWIW. After some googling, it appears that it can't be done in a .srt file.

The .srt file has to be converted first to Advanced Substation Alpha (.ass) format, where this can be easily done with a program like Subttile Edit, for instance.

Citizenfaguo.

FWIW. After some googling, it appears that it can't be done in a .srt file.

The .srt file has to be converted first to Advanced Substation Alpha (.ass) format, where this can be easily done with a program like Subttile Edit, for instance.

Citizenfaguo.

​Exactly, it can't be done on .srt.

You can do it on .ass for your own use but you won't be able to share them on site, it only supports .srt files.

• 1 month later...

It would be easier to leave this up to the viewer.  If playing the file on computer, good media players like MPC-HC and VLC allow you to set the color and font (and whether background is transparent or not)  for added subtitles. 

I find setting them to yellow, in a bolder font, makes them easy to read over the top of white hard-coded subs, even over-lapping HC with transparent background.

• Like 1