Give Me Some Chuckles.

spyderspyder

Hi, all.

I'm running short on comedy, and I'm open to suggestions.

Among my favourites (current and dead) are:

The Big Bang Theory
The Office
The Office (US)
Rescue Me
Extras
Lead Balloon
Outnumbered
Hyperdrive
Red Dwarf
Not Going Out
The Sopranos
Better Off Ted (Oh how I miss Portia!)
Nurse Jackie
IT Crowd
Lab Rats

That should give an idea of taste and preference, so if anyone empathises with this list, I welcome suggestions.

Cheers,
s.

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.

I'm not watching any of those series because I miss the old school comedies. Like Married with children. biggrin.gif

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

I forgot Big Bang - that should have been top of my list!

s.

Ps: It is now...

United%20Kingdom.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Try
Corner Gas
Testees
My name is Earl
Andy Barker, P.I.

If you like those (or not), let me know and I'll recommend some more... :) based on the results.

Personally, I love all of those, none of them is like the other, but each is great in it's own way.

Enjoy, mate!

Thank you for the suggestions...

I'll let you know.

At the moment, things are pretty good with Big Bang, Whites and Reggie Perrin - and The Office still manages to raise a smile as it limps along its vague direction.

Also, I'm surprised to find that 30 Rock and The Middle appear to have some value - I'll see how they progress.

The problem is that I find most sitcom humour to be largely non-humourous, especially from the US, being largely puerile and shallow, and increasingly relying on the distasteful or taboo more than wit for its raison d'etre.
My sense of humour may be skewed somewhat - I don't think that many other people see The Sopranos as a successful comedy soap... Ditto, Dexter (the adventures of a mentally challenged boy scout with a bag of grown up toys).

Hey-ho.

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the suggestions...

I'll let you know.

At the moment, things are pretty good with Big Bang, Whites and Reggie Perrin - and The Office still manages to raise a smile as it limps along its vague direction.

Also, I'm surprised to find that 30 Rock and The Middle appear to have some value - I'll see how they progress.

The problem is that I find most sitcom humour to be largely non-humourous, especially from the US, being largely puerile and shallow, and increasingly relying on the distasteful or taboo more than wit for its raison d'etre.
My sense of humour may be skewed somewhat - I don't think that many other people see The Sopranos as a successful comedy soap... Ditto, Dexter (the adventures of a mentally challenged boy scout with a bag of grown up toys).

Hey-ho.

s.

totally skewed lol, no offense but Dexter & The Sopranos as comedies ? cmon... i agree the asian guy in dexter is "underexploited" & that the Sopranos made me smile inbetween morbid fascination & social analysis, but if u need real laughs.. there is Father Ted (an old brit serie cowritten by the guy who now does IT crowd) ... Malcolm (best ever us "family" show) ... also let me underline Better off ted & Modern family ... i almost forgot "Louie" very funny sort of "solo-seinfeld" style recent comedy, the spy-anime "Archer" , the ricky gervais show & "an idiot abroad" as u seem to like ricky gervais (who guest stars in Louie btw, etc...

Uberlime.

No offence taken, of course.

I just wrote a very clever and witty response about Dexter being the ultimate all-American hero, emerged from the occult role of many past TV series...

And The Sopranos being a comedy soap, in which nothing actually happened, but having the structure of a classical tragedy (in which nothing actually happens, of course, beyond the inevitable) while also being reminiscent of early cartoons wherein the characters compensated for their restricted-code communication disabilities by resorting to extreme violence....

Then I accidentally closed the browser page without posting or saving it, so t'is lost forever.

Never mind - I read it, and enjoyed it.

For the rest of the TV comedy line-up: I stopped laughing at sheer silliness or ill-mannered behaviour, and ceased to be moved to sniggers by sexual or lavatorial blatency when I was around 8 years old. Which doesn't leave much.

Cheers,
s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Hehe, i too enjoy reading my own posts prolly more than any1 else, maybe cuz i write in a foreign language, more prolly cuz i'm the one that can best understand myself... anyway, i recommend you Itchy&Scratchy the movie , u should like it :P

More seriously i understand u bein a bit frustrated of wasting som wit & such, but not saying anything about my suggestions is so not cool:/ i guess u alrdy know it all .. nevermind then :/

I'll try a last one anyway, what about "How not to live your life" ? ok it's a bit sexually xplicit & childish along the first season, but i found the next ones to b a tad better, with some "humour noir" dat made me smile, also Sons of anarchy got this Soprano vibe goin' during the 2 last seasons... ever watched Shameless otherwise ? it has its moments