What's with the title

Hoseinfm

Hi everyone! I recently joined Addic7ed.com. I'm both interpreter and translator from English to Farsi and vise versa but I still couldn't find out what the title of this site means(no mean to me) Can someone elaborate on this for me. The way it pronounces and what does it mean?! 

Sincerely, Hossein

HI @Hoseinfm,

"Addic7ed" is pronounced like the adjective "addicted" (/əˈdɪktɪd/). Truth be told, there's no far-fetched meaning to it but the feeling that the site and its exercice in translation convey to most members: an addiction to translating subs. If you stay long enough, I guess you'll get the gist of it, so beware!

As for the "7" in "Addic7ed", it is a little nod to the days when leetspeak was still prevailing among websites participating in activities considered "underground" by mainstream institutions. Leetspeak is an alternative alphabet using some characters to replace others in ways that play on the similarity of their glyphs via reflection or other resemblance (e.g.: "E" becomes "3", "A" becomes "4", and "T" becomes "7": "4ddic73d")."Leet," or "1337," is a short form of "elite," commonly used by video gamers or white hat hackers to suggest that they are skilled. That's about it.

I might have missed other stuff, though. @alex28?

As for "Sub-Talk," it's self-explanatory, a website talking about subtitles.

Cheers and welcome!

PS: Congrats to your compatriot, Asghar Farhadi!

• Like 8