Why butcher pre-inserted subs?

ArnieM

I just finished the last two episodes of "The Last Ship" 

The coder, louvette, drives me crazy with her posting of  "speaking Greek" placed directly over the translated subs inserted by the production company. So, by blocking same, one never knows what is being said, exactly..We KNOW they are speaking Greek...they are on a Greek warship.  The actors damn sure are not speaking Turkish.

I thought there was a rule about NOT doing that...???

Hi, I imagine you're using the hearing impaired subtitle. By default, those versions are for people who can't hear the audio. So those indications are necessary to know which language characters are speaking. Just because you can hear he's speaking Greek, doesn't mean everyone can. And those lines need to exist for translations as well. So if you don't like indications, grab the non hearing impaired versions.

• Like 2

--

Got questions? Read our FAQ. Wanna support me? Check my Tipee.

I have been to this site off and on a long time and this is the first I have heard of multiple subtitles choices being avaiable.  Esp. since there doesn't seem to be any readily apparent menu choices about same on the main page.  So, how does one make said choice between the two?

FWIW, I am only partially deaf. I miss every 3rd or 4th word normally and most words when actors are spouting their lines like machine guns. And the deafness gets worse by the month. Then again I am old so it is bound to do so.

Still, all in all, to overwrite the had coded subs makes following the dialog difficult.

You have my e-mail addy. Pls. send me a message at your convenience so that I can reply directly and it is not about this topic.

There have been hearing impaired and non hearing impaired subtitles for years.

There's an ear logo next to the HI ones.

None near the regular ones.

Hope this helps.

--

Got questions? Read our FAQ. Wanna support me? Check my Tipee.

And if you want to be 100% sure, also look at the number of sequences for each file. Because mistakes can happen, sometimes we forget to tick the "Hearing Impaired" box (or we tick it for both files), so it would seem that it's the same file twice.

The one with the most sequences is always the HI one. ;) 

And all this time all I did was grab the topmost file thinking it had to be the latest and greatest/most current. Never gave a thought to the symbols on the side. Heck, most times they were never noticed.

Thanks for the reply.