Request: English subtitles for The A Word season 2

Shiokata

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate if someone could upload the english subtitles for The A Word season 2. It started on november 7th and there are only French subtitles available.
Thank you very much!

That's absolutely fine, kinglouisxx! I can work with them that way. I'm only asking 'cause English isn't my first language and there are some things I can't really figure out by myself when translating them to Brazilian Portuguese just by hearing.

Super thanks!!

I will gladly join the queue of "The A Word" viewers interested in English subs. It makes me wonder though what the criteria are in order to schedule a show or not. Would an admin care to elaborate? Thanks!

• Like 1

The team doesn't do UK shows, always has been that way, unless a syncer really wants to do a show.

Most of them are done by user bien-mignon-mais. You can ask him why he doesn't do that one. Maybe because user benaddicted handled season 1. And maybe he'll gladly do it from now on.

Anyways, raw subs are linked above, so anyone willing to help is free to use them and make the necessary corrections then upload on the site afterwards.

Thanks for your reply. I know about BMM doing most UK shows.
What kind of corrections do you need? Synchronization and blatant spelling errors? I downloaded the raw sub you linked, thank you very much BTW, and had a quick look with the ORGANiC release of The A Word S02E01. To me, they are already spot on! Besides, beggars can't be choosers...

Having said that, if I see a blatant error while watching the show, I will correct that and later upload the sub if that's OK with y'all.

• Like 1

What kind of corrections do you need?

Sync adjustments if some are needed, fix sentences that are displayed on 3 lines and put them on 2, fix/break lines that are over 40 char. if possible and add dialogue dashes mostly. But sure, if you spot spelling mistakes you're welcome to correct them :)

• Like 1

I am afraid I should have kept my big mouth shut... That is, I was under the impression that only minor corrections of blatant errors would be sufficient. As it is, I simply do not have the time to devote to multiple viewings of a show in order to establish where speaker dashes should be inserted, etc. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

My question remains though: why is it all so important? I mean, with episode 1 there were two or three instances where on my media player subs were shown in three lines. This lasted all of a second or so and in my humble opinion does not at all cause any unpleasant viewing experience. I guess the point I am trying to make here is that these raw subs (most likely these are "originals" from the BBC anyway) are good enough for me. As I said before, beggars can't be choosers...

@Potetgull

In this case, you're the beggar, and Addic7ed the chooser as they choose to either let you upload the sub or not.

They follow a strict rule to create subs up to their standard, spend lots of time for that, and they like to keep their platform like that; thousands of other users come, inspect and correct many subtitles wrongly uploaded by other oblivious users. If that doesn't matter to you or if you consider this a waste of time, there's not much else to say.

It's one thing to be satisfied with an approximative subtitle, it's a personal matter after all, but it's another thing to come and admit it publicly on a forum dedicated to perfecting the art of subtitling with thousands of amateurs discussing various topics such as "how to place a dialogue dash," "line break rules," "should a space follow an ellipsis if the later begins a sentence," "how to style annotations for the hearing impaired", etc.

It's at best ignorant, at worst, a complete disdain for this forum, Addic7ed and all their followers.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...