Review Contest: Rubicon

fitzstudio

Rubicon is the in northeastern Italy, more specifically to the famous idiom "crossing the Rubicon", which means to pass a point of no return, and refers to Julius Caesar's crossing of the river in 49 BC, which was considered an act of war, because crossing it with an army was forbidden by the Roman Senate.
The series centers around an intelligence analyst, Will Travers, working at a national agency/ think tank called the American Policy Institute (API) who finds out that he may be working with members of a secret society that manipulates world events on a grand scale to create enormous personal profits.
API work is to analyze all available informations [CIA, FBI, NSA but also all worldwide press] to protect the nation and coordinate all agancies.
The serie starts with some misterious simultaneous suicides of powerful men, including one of API executives. These events, and a mysterious crossword puzzle published on a newspaper, will lead Will in an investigation involving the members of that secret society. API offices are in New York, so most of the show has been filmed there.

It's a spy tv serie, very well written and also very well played by the actors.
If you liked the ''classic'' conspiracy movies of the 1970s, such as All The President's Men or Three Days of the Condor, you'll really enjoy this serie.
It's quite different to the most famous spy/conspiracy tv serie 24 as there's lot of less action [see: explosions, killings] but for this reason to me is much more believable.
At the present day AMC [uSA] broadcasted 12 episodes of the first season.

I hope you'll like as I did...

;)

I agree - it's a really good series!
I also enjoy the suspense they create without using action, and somehow it makes all the story much more believable, real, crawling under the skin...
Can't wait to see the last episode...

• 3 months later...

One of, if not the best show in 2010. Rubicon really put it's hooks in me with strong acting and brilliant episodes storywise. The cancellation of this series shows that american audiences is not ready for complex stories on TV IMHO.

@geirdm Space Cowboy!

One of, if not the best show in 2010. Rubicon really put it's hooks in me with strong acting and brilliant episodes storywise. The cancellation of this series shows that american audiences is not ready for complex stories on TV IMHO.

Yes, despite the serie was in nearly all "top ten tv series of the year" reviews, the serie has been cancelled. :angry:
This is real shame specially if you think that a serie like 24 [alwys the same since 1sr serie] reached the 8th season. :blink:
Probably americans prefere series with thousands of blasts, killing, fights and found a serie like Rubicon a little bit too boring for their tastes. :P

• 9 months later...

Thanks for posting this review, fitzstudio (and kudos to guys who replied, for your opinions).
This is another series I did not know about but probably fits my TV needs very well.
I loved 24; I actually think the last 2 seasons were better than the earlier ones so I was very upset when it was canned.

I have a question:
Did the series end with a cliff-hanger that will never be resolved because of the cancellation?
If "yes", then I might skip it (having no closure, it would be too annoying for me over the years and I'd die unfulfilled, heh).
If "no", then I'm going to grab it.

:)

iwanttobelive.gif