The 500$ Chipin Widget

alex28

If you visited Addic7ed in the past few hours, you might have noticed the 500$ donation widget.

• Why Addic7ed needs 500$?
Truth is, Addic7ed needs more than 500$... but we're trying to take everything step by step. We'll have a 500$ ChipIn goal every month (in the months to come).
There haven't been many changes in Addic7ed recently (changes that were made weren't for the front-end at least - didn't affect users directly).
So what are we going to do with the money? Hire a professional coder to remake Addic7ed from scratch, build new features and of course, fix or improve the features we already have.

• Is it worth it? I like the website as it is.
Well, you might like it - probably because it's fast when it comes to releasing subtitles - but, truth is it lacks lots of useful stuff you might be interested in (but don't know it yet).
For example, it would be nice to keep track of the shows you watched or how about a notification when the subtitle you're waiting for has been uploaded? The design will be changed too, along with some useful features like
language filters (you will only search for English or Spanish.. or just corrected files, or just HI files etc).

• Who will code it? When will this happen?
At the moment i can't answer the first question exactly. The only thing i thought for the moment was to hire someone that visits Addic7ed (by contest). The persons interested would send a CV - portfolio etc and based on their skills and offer
someone will get the job. Everything will be open and everyone will be kept up to date with development (except some features that will serve as surprises).
When will this happen? This only depends on you. If we raise the money faster, it could be done next month or in January. If every visitor that was online today would donate 1$ we would
start tomorrow and we would pay the server for the next years.

• What about the ads?
What about them? As you can see, there aren't many ads (at the moment, there are 0 ads) on Addic7ed. Ads money top up the donations anyway. It's all about starting the job faster, since recoding everything will take some time.

• But hey, if i remember correctly you said you're working on a "from scratch" version already.
Yeah well, that didn't turn out so good. My programming skills could do this much (mostly patching here and there). Learning and starting the new Addic7ed will take sooo much that it's not worth it in the end.

If you have any questions i'd be happy to answer them.
The overall of the new Addic7ed we're trying to build is that, 99% it will be the one and only stop when you're looking for anything TV show related.

Suggestion thread.

Thanks for reading!
--alex

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.