Question To Subbers: What Is Your Process Like?

Secretss

Hi! I'm new here and interested in the subbing scene. I'm wondering:

Do you guys work alone on each episode/movie you do, or do you work with a partner/group?
Do you split the process by doing the transcription of the entire video first, and then sync the lines after? For example, the first time I did a sub:

• I typed out the dialogue in Notepad first,
  • then I added the lines into Subtitle Workshop (all with the same start/end points and 0:00 duration),
  • then I adjusted the number of words in each line based on the width of the video and speed of speech delivery in the video,
    (I don't know how else to describe this step. Basically, it's to make the subtitles display more nicely on screen.)
  • and finally, I started the actual syncing process.

Is this not a recommended way to go about the process? Should I just do everything (transcription, adjustment, and syncing) at once as I am playing and pausing through the video?

I'm feeling a bit time-squeezed as the process is so time-consuming, and I'm wondering if subbers generally work in pairs or not. I mean, someone could handle the transcription and final touch ups and quality checks, while another could do the actual syncing.

What would you advise?

Thanks in advance! :)
  • Like 1

We usually have the transcripts with the times which we need to sync.

We go through that whole transcripting & manually syncing thing when we don't have the script (the episode aired online, without subs on TV etc).
Then someone (whoever volunteers) does the text and someone else syncs it with VSS (Visual Sub Sync).

Usually we have a syncer and a corrector for each episode, but sometimes the syncer does the correction as well.

I hope that answered most of your questions. :)

Welcome, Secretss.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

Wow, thank you!

I don't know where to find transcripts, and anyway I'm pretty sure the episodes I'm interested in are not that popular for transcripts to have been done >.<

Is there a place where people upload transcripts for syncers to work on? Because right now, I think I much prefer typing dialogue to syncing, and I can do so many more transcripts in the time I take to sync one episode. So how about having a collection of transcripts ready and waiting for syncers to pick up if they're interested? And maybe a request form for syncers to request for transcripts of certain episodes to be made.

Also, I've just found another nifty gem (Visual Sub Sync). :D Thanks again, honeybunny!

• 1 year later...