Poll About The Subtitle Display Order

Kerensky

35 members have voted

1. 1. What subtitles display order would you like more?

• Strictly alphabetical (which means Arabic will always comes first than English for example) (like it is right now)
    • Sorted by Most downloaded version first
    • Sorted by time since the sub was uploaded (like it was until now)
    • Top 5 langs first (monthly revised) + rest of the langs in alphabetical order

My 2 cents

1) Alphabetical: This would generate consistent results per page. Languages starting with A are at the top, Z's at the bottom.
2) Popularity: This would put the most downloaded sub at the top. If there are multiple English subs, only the most popular would be at the top
3) Uploaded: This is how it's been, where they are ordered by upload, usually English first since they are the source, unless they were replaced later.
4) Hybrid: This seems like an interesting compromise. I was tempted to force English to the top and alphabetize the rest, but that seemed to favor one language unfairly over another.

Dny

Alphabetical.
Just like when you upload a subtitle and choose subtitle language.
Or, just like the subtitles are indexed now, because if someone want a subtitle , he will browse for it, isn't so?
I guess "hot keys" will be still working, so will be easy for someone to press "M" key to select Martian on Mars show. :)

doc.

Later Edit.

Maybe will be more interesting if addic7ed.com will be open according with a registered user's language, that including displaying of a subtitle according to user's language!

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

I think uploaded order is ok, though it would be hard to find one sub amongst 10 other versions... but with the lang filter that's not a problem, so i'd stick to the upload order.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

I vote Uploaded Order. And if I'm allowed to dream, user-choice via a drop-down menu.
I know, I know. I used to be at the programming end of the equation, and know how greedy users can get :)

The chickens are revolting!

I voted Top 5 Langs, but a better solution would be to have user preferences to have "Preferred Language" and show the preferred at the top. That's just my two cents.

PS - I'm also a developer, and a DB admin. I know it's a pain in the butt, and having custom language preferences per user uses up more query cycles.

but how will translations be treated in any other sorting? they're not alphabetical, they'd mess up any other imposed order, right?

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

Your probably only gonna download one language, and since it's the plan to add the possiblity to filter languages in the profile, it gets a little pointless.

Or you can add it as a choice in the profile... just my 2 cents

but how will translations be treated in any other sorting? they're not alphabetical, they'd mess up any other imposed order, right?

Nested selects. First select puts your preferred language on top, then the subquery pulls the rest of the languages (using NOT IN), order by whatever the masses decide. Put them together with a join. Like I said, it's a pain in the butt and uses up more query cycles. With thousands of users, performance is going to take a big hit.

Later Edit.

Maybe will be more interesting if addic7ed.com will be open according with a registered user's language, that including displaying of a subtitle according to user's language!

That should be great!

That should be great!

Thank you ilse, it is good to know that I'm not alone in that battle :) .

The night is a good adviser.
Honeybunny is right.
The order in which subtitles are uploaded it is sufficient.
Because, all new released (for which everybody is looking most) are subtitles in English, so, or that they are in alphabetical order,or that is tomorrow after yesterday, it doesn't have any relevance.

For other languages, I'll quote from me :D

/end of quote from me :D

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Ok, this sorting that now exists is simply too chaotic for a moderator at least. It's a hybrid of some sort and it is annoying. I uploaded a version and I didn't see it there, the last as I am used to. I thought I didn't upload it. Oh well, it was at top. There were 2 english versions HI and non HI, uncorrected. The corrector uploaded the corrected versions. They were Hi non corrected, HI corrected, non Hi un corrected, non Hi corrected. It may have a logic, but it's messed up in my mind and I really don't like it.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

Ok, this sorting that now exists is simply too chaotic for a moderator at least. It's a hybrid of some sort and it is annoying. I uploaded a version and I didn't see it there, the last as I am used to. I thought I didn't upload it. Oh well, it was at top. There were 2 english versions HI and non HI, uncorrected. The corrector uploaded the corrected versions. They were Hi non corrected, HI corrected, non Hi un corrected, non Hi corrected. It may have a logic, but it's messed up in my mind and I really don't like it.

Dny, what about showing a "New!" icon for subtitles uploaded in the last... 4 or 6 hours?

I think that way new subtitles are easy to spot ;)

Dny, what about showing a "New!" icon for subtitles uploaded in the last... 4 or 6 hours?

I think that way new subtitles are easy to spot ;)

still don't like it.. if user id=10641 then old style :D

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

Hmmm, I have a stupid question:

- What means Latest new version ?

Is it a new subtitle for a new video codec version, a new subtitle in a new language or both of them?

Regarding that stupid question:
If a subtitle it is the latest translation completed on addic7ed, should be that one the latest translation completed... or the latest new version?

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

latest new version refers to new uploaded versions for the same subtitle.. other release group, other language etc. if a subtitle has been translated on addic7ed, that is the latest translation completed on addic7ed.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

I know, but seems to be a little redundant.
My opinion.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Not really. the site as well does not "see" them as the same.

I know and I understand, but in the end, doesn't matter if it is a new uploaded subtitle version(as a language) or is an addic7ed team translated version, all are versions of the same show.
That is why I said it is a little bit redundand, I mean Latest translations completed on addic7ed could be easely added to latest new version, and in that way will be fewer resources allocated from the website, resources that could be used for something else.
Anyway, it is just my thought, I don't know how all that queries are made, so, please excuse me if I manage to get (once more) off topic. :)

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK: