Quicksubsyncher

animalia

I wrote this little program, or well it's more like a tool, to automatically "extract" synch from an already created synch. What I mean is that when you can find subtitles for two versions of a show in a different language, i.e. someone's already synched subtitles in a different language for the version you want to watch, that with the help of this tool, you can extract that synch and apply it to your languaged subtitles. Example:

English / Spanish / Whatever (preferably the language that is spoken)
Jack's subtitles for My homevideo SD
Jack's subtitles for My homevideo HD synched by Jenny

And then you have your own languaged,
My translation for My homevideo SD

But what you really want is to have your own languaged subtitles for the HD version. This is a poor example since what usually messes the synch between SD/HD are commercial breaks, and homevideos often don't have those. Well, unless you're famous. Anyhow, based on Jack's and Jenny's work, the theory is that we can establish a sort of timeline when the commercial breaks / whatevers occur, and when we apply that timeline to your languaged subtitles, we have subtitles that matches with the HD version. Or in not so many words, steal Jenny's work :)

I've tried it on a bunch of subtitles, probably not on many enough yet though, but it's worked so far. I'm not so sure do I need to point it out but the synch depends greatly on the synch of the source files.

There's only one prerequisite:
The source files need to be based on the same translation, as in have matching lines. The line by line accuracy is not checked but line count is. There are basic tools for adjusting the subs, you can delete lines if necessary to achieve the line by line accuracy.

So yes, what's gathered is a timeline, as in your languaged version doesn't need to have as many lines as the source subtitle(s). Only that it works in the same version as the source file with the base synch.

You can grab it from there if you're interested: http://www.awesomexc...quicksubsyncher

And I hope it's not bugged to hell.

• Like 1

Looks awesome!

I'll try it when I get back tonight :)

There's only one prerequisite:
The source files need to be based on the same translation, as in have matching lines.

I did made an algorithm a few years back to solve that issue, but I never got it working as well as it should :(

Anyway, thanks for your work!
I'm sure it would be very helpful in some cases ;)

I did made an algorithm a few years back to solve that issue, but I never got it working as well as it should :(

I would presume you'd start checking the lines and by a given accuracy find matches? Perhaps you would need to take into consideration also the lines inbetween since sometimes subtitles are "paced" differently. I would expect it to be nearly impossible to get it working perfectly :rolleyes: Though if you could get it working, well then ... B)

The best alternative would be if could tell the differences based on either the video or the audiotrack. Mind, if the subtitles are good, they can be as good indicator as the audio track.

Thankfully, for the show's languaged subtitles(english spoken, english subs) people don't usually create new translations for the different rips of the same episode, they just synch the already available ones. That's where QuickSubSyncher comes to play. Though, in most cases it's not much use to people after english subtitles but should be for people who are looking to synch other languaged subtitles based on the english subtitles(or for what ever language the base synch is for).

Anyway, thanks for your work!
I'm sure it would be very helpful in some cases ;)

Thanks for the input :)

I should had pointed out that it's only useful for tv shows. Movie subtitles, unless they're tv caps, can't really benefit from this.
  • Like 2