Recommend a TV show

alex28

Shows that you MUST watch:

Game of Thrones (BEST Adventure/Fantasy show of all times, wish I had not seen it so I could watch it all over. I watched first Season all over while waiting for Season 2.)

Dexter (The guy is simply one of the best actors I've seen.  Great story-line, keeps you on edge.  Classic Thriller/Drama.)

Modern Family (Love to watch this with my wife, can really relate and the one camera shoot really makes it feel like you are part of the show.  Probably my favorite comedy of all times.)

The rest I watch/recommend you can check out at my list

So I'm enjoying an early retirement at 39 and got all the time in the world to watch tv-shows (and to write lengthy forum posts), so here are my recommendations.

Nice post! Thanks for the tips!

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

Hello !

Shows I watch and recommend : 

Vikings? : Vikings follows the adventures of Ragnar Lothbrok the greatest hero of his age. The series tells the sagas of Ragnar's band of Viking brothers and his family, as he rises to become King of the Viking tribes. As well as being a fearless warrior, Ragnar embodies the Norse traditions of devotion to the gods, legend has it that he was a direct descendant of Odin, the god of war and warriors.

Orphan Black? 

After witnessing a woman's suicide, street-wise chameleon Sarah assumes the stranger's identity, who happens to look just like her. Expecting to solve all her problems by cleaning out the dead woman's savings, Sarah is instead thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery as she realizes the dizzying truth: she and the dead woman are clones.

BatesMotel? : 

The series is inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, and will depict the life of Norman Bates and his mother Norma prior to the events portrayed in Hitchcock's film.

Continuum? :

When a group of fanatical terrorists escapes their planned execution in the year 2077, they vault back in time to the year 2012, sweeping dedicated CPS Protector, Kiera Cameron along with them. Stuck in the past and unable to get back to her husband and son, Kiera concentrates on bringing down the terrorists before they can wreak havoc in our present.

Elementary? :

Following his fall from grace in London and a stint in rehab, eccentric Sherlock escapes to Manhattan where his wealthy father forces him to live with his worst nightmare - a sober companion, Dr. Watson. A successful surgeon until she lost a patient and her license three years ago, Watson views her current job as another opportunity to help people, as well as paying a penance.

Arrow :?

After a violent shipwreck, billionaire playboy Oliver Queen was missing and presumed dead for five years before being discovered alive on a remote island in the Pacific. When he returns home to Starling City Oliver has been changed by his ordeal on the island. While he hides the truth about the man he's become, he desperately wants to make amends for the actions he took as the boy he was.

ChicagoFire?

No job is more stressful, dangerous or exhilarating than those of the Firefighters, Rescue Squad and Paramedics of Chicago Firehouse 51. These are the courageous men and women who forge headfirst into danger when everyone else is running the other way. But the enormous responsibilities of the job also take a personal toll.When it's "go-time," though, they put their differences aside and put everything on the line for each other. This is a look inside one of America's noblest professions.

GRIMM?:

Detective Nick Burkhardt thought he was ready for the grim reality of working homicide in Portland, Oregon. That is, until he started to see things... things he couldn't quite explain. Like a gorgeous woman suddenly transforming into a hideous hag, or an average Joe turning into a vicious troll. Then, after a panicked visit from his only living relative, Nick discovers the truth about his visions: he's not like everyone else, he's a descendant of an elite group of hunters known as "Grimms" who are charged with stopping the proliferation of supernatural creatures in the world.

REVENGE?

Welcome to the Hamptons, a glittering world of incredible wealth and privilege, where smiles hide secrets - and nothing is colder than revenge. It's easy to see why the Hamptons are so exclusive. But no matter how guarded they are, they can't keep the truth out forever. Meet Emily Thorne, a sexy beauty hell-bent on a mission of revenge. When she moves in, everyone wonders about the new girl, but she knows everything about them, including who they are and what they did to her family. Years ago, they took everything from her. Now, one by one, she's going to make them pay.

And More ....

Elementary - definitely

Blue Bloods

Homeland - I have the original Isreali show that this is based on - "Prisoners of War" but haven't watched it yet.

The Walking Dead

Other shows I'm watching (all British):

Broadchurch

Death in Paradise

QI - can't get enough of that

Silent Witness

This is Jinsy - this one you'll either love or say wtf? - going to jinsy.com will not help in understanding this show!

George Gently

Luther

Last Tango in Halifax

Monroe

Sherlock

New Tricks - just started watching this, only seen the pilot

Varg Veum (Norwegian)

The Doctor Blake Mysteries (Australian)

Old shows that I miss (US & British)

The Hour - only 2 seasons long

Wonderfalls - only 1 season

Firefly - ditto

Battlestar Galactica

Falcon

Zen

The Fades

Well that just proves I don't have a life... Enjoy

Something on a vaguely similar topic:  Movies.   Recommendations for good shows with English subtitles/captions would be much appreciated. 

The most recent movie I've seen is probably Avatar.   I generally like sci-fi, action, and rom-coms.   I dislike romance, biographical movies of politicians, and most westerns.   I like good comedies - which pretty much excludes starring cretins like Adam Sandler or Jack Black.   I like war movies that have a respectable claim to be accurately depicting history.

If you like crime thrillers I would recommend Luther. By far, my favourite TV show... 3rd season coming in Autumn!  :)

You might also like Elementary. It's a show about a modern day Sherlock Holmes. An amazing detective who has unique skills solving the most difficult murder cases with his assistant.

If you're into something similar but with a lot more comedy, then Psych is for you.

• Like 1

here's?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent> already that needs some love :-) 

Will post a reply there.

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

This is the best news I've heard in a long time :)

If you like crime thrillers I would recommend Luther. By far, my favourite TV show... 3rd season coming in Autumn!  :)

Wow!  All the way through this thread and, unless I missed it, I can't believe no one mentioned Breaking Bad.   I think that's been one of the best shows on television.

Hello all!  These are some of the "must-see" Tv-Series,in my opinion: 

1. Carnivale (cancelled,but still worth watching. 2 seasons)

2. Supernatural (ongoing, 8 seasons)

3. Pretty Little Liars (might appear your typical high-school-society tv series,but it isn't! Ongoing,3 seasons)

4. Game of Thrones (ongoing, 3 seasons)

5. Hannibal (ongoing, 1st season)

6. Orphan Black (ongoing, 1st season)

7. Revenge (ongoing, 2 seasons)

8. Grimm (Ongoing, 2 seasons)

9. The Vampire Diaries (ongoing, 4 seasons)

10. Once Upon A Time ( ongoing, 2 seasons).

Cheers! 

Recently I'm hooked on few of UK series. Much shorter episodes than the US series. I love Misfits, Sherlock, Sirens, The Office, The IT Crowd and A Young Doctor's Notebook.

As for US series, I love The Good Wife, The Big C, Breaking Bad, Shameless, Revenge, Once Upon A Time and Community.

And you should check out an Austalian series, Please Like Me. It's kinda sweet.

Bloodycat,

Since your hooked on UK shows, don't miss Broadchurch or Last Tango in Halifax

(see more of my list one page back...)

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some time doing this list for myself, to see how much time I spent watching TV shows, now i leave it here so everyone can see my "recomendations"

http://www.addic7ed.com/views.php?user=nunokalhau

Some of those shows, at some point I was just wishing for someone to cancel them (like prison break, heroes, the O.C.), but most of them I enjoyed till the end. And there are others that aren't in that list because I just stopped watching them in the middle, because they got boring (CSI, Desperate housewives, etc). And there are some top quality old TV shows there, like OZ, The Wire, Six Feet Under (All HBO :P).

Hope I can get people to watch some of these.