Syncing Web Releases

ThePresence

Ok, so I've read a few guides to syncing, and I know the basic ways of syncing subtitles, either by first / last word or by fps change.

Thing is, that doesn't seem to work when syncing the web releases of tv episodes. I've done a few syncs of web-dl already, but in most cases, I've resorted to breaking the subtitle in parts and syncing up each of the unsynced parts individually. I have great results, but it's time consumming. Is there some easier way I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any answer that might shed some light on this

Sadly, if you do the re-sync manually, that's the only way...
Locate the segments between the publicity pauses and adjust their sync separately.

(And pray there isn't any more changes inside that segment,
or you're up against a always lovely line-by-line sync xD)

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply

Sadly, if you do the re-sync manually, that's the only way...

You say, if I do the re-sync manually. Is there another way?

Do you ask for some software that could make a perfect sync automaticaly? There is not such a thing.

You can sync line by line, or, you can have luck and just have to sync only the lines that came after a commercial break.

The question is, what software do you use to sync?
I use Subtitle Edit, a very nice and easy tu use software, with a lot of features that came in any newbie's help.

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Thanks for the reply. I use subtitle workshop. I was asking if there was another way because Kerensky said if..., as if there was another way besides syncing manually.

Anyway, have you ever thought about doing a tutorial of this? As I said in the first post, I usually break the subtitle in parts where the commercials are, and sync using first / last word on each of the parts. It usually works great, but on a 40 minute episode, I can take as much as half an hour doing it.

I was asking if there was another way because Kerensky said if..., as if there was another way besides syncing manually.

Actually, there is... I wasn't kidding around xD
But it's not available to the public just yet.

You can find a few tutorial on how to sync in this very same sub-forum...

[...]
Anyway, have you ever thought about doing a tutorial of this?

Is not for SW, it is for Subtitle Editor but I guess you can take a look. Check HERE.

Also, a full Help / FAQ section of that software you can find Here.

I know that someone was made a small tutorial for SW, but right know, I can't find it. I'll keep looking for it and I'll came back.

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

• 1 year later...

I've been looking if there is a way to tag the commercial breaks. So when we do a sync manually, and come across the breaks, we can tag them so other releases and translations that come later on can locate them easily (assuming that it is common that most editions will have the same commercial breaks, or to be able to remove them when there is a DVD/BD release).

Is there a SRT tag documentation? The format is rather simple, so there doesn't seem a formal spec, but are there any efforts to introduce meta tag into SRT files? Do things like tagging commercial breaks, introducing annotations (to promote interactive players, maybe links to sites and/or other episodes and shows, or just comments on what is on screen at the time)