Why subtitles?

alex28

• 3 weeks later...

To return to the subject... I hardly ever use subtitles, but I like to have them around "just in case". There are those cases where some ancient overpowered alien godlike being says something that may or may not be important, and I just can't make it out because for some reason those ancient overpowered alien godlike beings like to talk with strange voices, weird dialects and add special effects to top it off.

Coincidentally, those ancient overpowered alien godlike beings are usually dead, imprisoned or otherwise incapacitated --- that's what you get if you spend your evolution working on these stupid voices and speed patterns instead of more useful things like how to defeat an enemy. But enough about AOAGBs (still working on a way to combine finding a better acronym and defeating my enemies, so I don't end up being dead, imprisoned or otherwise incapacitated despite having a bag full of handy acronyms)

The same can happen with normal people, when there's just too much "other" noise around in the scene or stuff like that

I guess there's a difference between being a native speaker and not being a native speaker --- my error correction on english isn't as good. Which means that technically I don't even need synced subs --- I know what they said just before and after the problem spot, so I can find the line that I don't get. I can even use a texteditor for that...

Can I ask you, how we use yours subs when the webside isn't work. I need subtitle for the new episode of Ugly Betty.. Where can I find them ?

Some people care mostly about their bodies. Why? Because the soul - silent

I used to download yours subtitle. You were doing that so fast.. that they was up few hour when the episode was up..

Can you tell me when the subs'll be ready? :?

If you do the sub, why don't you up here... I'm talking about subs for Ugly Betty s04e18 ... Please... :(:(;(

I don't know. I think you asked enough the same question. Please be patient or look for the subs somewhere else.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

i use subs because i am deaf, and strangely enough prefers english subs despite my native language is norwegian. even with norwegian subs i immediately notices bad translation, there's a lot of english expressions that are not able to be translated in a good way and the attempts often gives me a good laugh :P

keep up the good work, all you who makes those subs, hope addic7ed will be up again soon :)

English isn't my first language, so it's a lot easier to understand with subtitles. I understand english perfectly, but you simply cannot hear every word, so I often have to turn up the volume when I watch without subtitles. However, when I watch programs like Daily Show, Top Gear etc, or stand up comedy, I turn off subtitles for some reason, don't know why.
I never watch series or movies with subtitles in my native language (Serbian), I even use English subtitles for movies in other languages like French.

BTW Guys, you need to come back soon, I'm already having a crisis :D

I hope, too. There are no as good as their subs. Now, we've to wait however we dont. :)

Hi i have the same problem with all of you english isn't my first language it's my third but yet i have to watch shows with english subtitles.
I've tried to watch them with dutch subtitles (my first language) just doesn't seem right, and for some reason it is just hard to find indonesian subtitles cause there aren't many out there
So since i understand english perfectly english subtitles is a fit for me, but now without any subtitles availible i'm a tad bit worried because watching shows like fringe for example without subtitles makes me cringe i'm afraid i can't follow anything that comes out of Walter Bishop's mouth,sometimes it can be difficult to understand things on that show!!

So i just hope that the site can go up asap
cause right about now i'm beginning to have a meltdown:)

Me too, I mainly watch tv shows in English with English subtitles, because I'm not fluent enough to understand all by ear.
Is there anything I (or anyone) can do to bring subs back? )

i started with german subtitles, now i could look without subtitles at all, but i want to be sure to understand all, so english subtitles are always welcome

• 1 month later...

English subtitles are good for the deaf of hearing.

English subtitles are also good when someone else is talking to you and you can read the subtitles whilst talking to them!

English subtitles are good for some "technical" terms that you don't understand or names that are difficult to spell or pronounce!

Finally, English subtitles are good when some studios like CBS/Paramount/Sony use CC on their Region 1 DVDs instead of SDH (Subtitles for the deaf of hearing). It annoys me 'coz I live in Australia and not in USA/Canada and we Australians (including UK) cannot access CC on our TV. We can only watch CC on our computer.

Did I missed out on any other ones? Please feel free to add! :)

It seems that English subtitles have many functions and uses. English is the most appropriate to choose among all the languages. And I admit that is good for anything that it could be, in fact it is more helpful to us as the most applied language. I also enjoy watching movies with an English subtitles.