Subtitle Edit For Ubuntu - Troubleshoting, Tips And Tricks

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello I have a problem running SE on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, when I load a subtitle .sub I get this message...

Unable to start hunspell spel cheker - make sure hunspell is installed!

mddk.png

Then when I open the options the option is not active for the player or for hundspell.

hd81.png

Terminal error

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: ApplicationName='tesseract', CommandLine='"/tmp/5bbe143b-7cd0-44f2-ae5f-013a3c6c3b83.png" "/tmp/42b3c7e7-dae6-4982-86eb-a30f20125ab2" -l spa+music -psm 6 hocr', CurrentDirectory=''
  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_noshell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process:Start ()
  at Nikse.SubtitleEdit.Forms.VobSubOcr.Tesseract3DoOcrViaExe (System.Drawing.Bitmap bmp, System.String language, System.String psmMode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

SE 3311 and SE 3312 beta Portable , Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 Bit
Any help please? thanks. :unsure:

Posted

I don't think I ever got the spell checking running... so you probably have to fix some code ;)

I re-installed my hd recently and I don't have Linux atm... but I'll try to install Mint soon...

Posted

Thanks for replying and for your great program.
I tried it with wine and it seems that all is well.

Off topic: Now that going to install linux, I created a video of how to compile x265  HEVC in alpha stage but hey if someone is interested, I hope I do not disturb anyone putting this video

http://youtu.be/kCDEVJI0efk

Posted

If this topic is still alive:

I am using Linux (LMDE - LInux Mint Debian Edition) currently.

There are at least 6 subtitle editors shown at Synaptic Package Manager.

From those "Gnome Subtitles" I do use most.

Posted

When I'm opening SE via wine, hunspell works just fine, but the "OK" and "Back" button in the "Fix common errors" window cannot be clicked... very, very frustrating. The third button - "Cancel" - works fine. And when running it under mono, all button are as they should, but then hunspell doesn't work. :(

Somebody here that have a solution to this?

Posted

When I'm opening SE via wine, hunspell works just fine, but the "OK" and "Back" button in the "Fix common errors" window cannot be clicked... very, very frustrating. The third button - "Cancel" - works fine. And when running it under mono, all button are as they should, but then hunspell doesn't work. :(

Somebody here that have a solution to this?

​Took me a while to figure it out, but you need to install the hunspell dev libraries, not just the command line app. This worked for me on Ubuntu 14.04:

sudo apt-get install libhunspell-dev

Posted

Does Find+Replace work for anyone? The dialog opens up, but it doesn't do anything.

Also, I can't get Unicode symbols (such as ♪) to display properly (I only get squares) when running in Mono, although it shows up fine in Wine (everything else becomes unusable though!). Any idea what I can do to fix this? [EDIT: it's actually a problem with the Tahoma font, which my employer requires.]

Posted

+ is there a way to set the default output format to something other than .srt? It's a bit tedious having to select .scc every time I save.

(SOLVED: just had to edit the settings XML file)

Posted

aaaand one more thing: what's up with .scc files getting all messed up upon saving?

For example, longer captions (even if they are still within the accepted character limits) will get split up into 3 lines, and even some timings will go off for no apparent reason. This is very frustrating. I'd love not having to use that format, but my employer requires it.

Does this happen under Windows as well?

Posted

SE352 portable, Ubuntu 16.10, mono 4.2.3 (mono-complete package). App launches fine but kicks back "this is not a valid matroska file" for every mkv I try to open, even ones I know are good. Anyone else?

Edit: For what it's worth, I went back and tried earlier and earlier versions until it worked again and landed at 3.4.3. This version works, 3.4.4 and up give me the error message above.

Posted

Nikse, how exactly is it supposed to work with mpv? For me, video playback does not work and it is all greyed out in the preferences (and I am not the only one from reading this thread).

I am on Ubuntu 16.04, I have mono-complete installed, I use SE 3.5.2. Mpv is installed (but the linux binary) - when I tried to download it from the interface, it didn't seem to do anything. I am on 64bit. Or has anybody here suceeded in making SE work with mpv (or any other video player for that matter)?