Subtitle Timing And All

zzz

A lot of subtitles here need more work to be done, especially with timing/syncing.
Most of the lines are too long in terms of duration.
They start way too early and end too late.
Here is an example.
vss1.jpg
The original subtitle is like this. It starts at 09:31.468 and ends at 09:35.404.
But the voice is heard only where the blue box covers.

vss2.jpg
Now, a good subtitle starts at 09:32.667, over one second later, and it ends at 09:34.301, over one second earlier.

This is not a typical example. In worse cases, a word like "Now!" stays more than five seconds, when in fact it is pronounced within a second.
That really ruins the scene and impression. Because you see what he/she is going to say way too early, you come to know it before it comes out of his/her mouth. Because it stays so long, sometimes it damages silence or the next scene which has already started then.

I am not complaining what they are. It is totally Okay that these uploads are accepted as soon as they are done. It is a matter of how quick they are delivered so as for syncers to do their job.
What concerns me is that timing/syncing on Addicted is impossible in the current system. They are fixed once subtitles are uploaded.

Not only that, they are far less than perfect in that they have unrecognizable lines, mistaken lines and all. Say, Fringe S05E04, the latest subtitle, nothing is said from 00:44 to 01:00. LOL English subtitle for it has seven lines! Where do they come from? Am I HI, seriously?
And yet they are labled as complete and when you try to fix them, you are banned because "most of your's corrections are made it just to be made."

What is wrong with being as perfect as possible? What this community is for when such help is not welcomed?

Tip for uploaders: here is a very good tutorial how timing/syncing is done, especially this part if no edit is allowed afterwards

Try to start the subtitle as close as possible to the beginning of the speech. Listen, re-listen, then listen a third or 4th time to make sure they start speaking right when the subtitle begins.

@zzz: I get a 403 Forbidden error when trying to access http://jiang-hu.org/content/timing-tutorial-visualsubsync.

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Syncing line by line for all the subs is not humanly possible for a small team as ours. Only those that really need it are done like that. I use VSS for all my syncs but not all are done line by line.
About that Fringe subtitle, those lines exist in the caption provided by FOX and the lines are spoken by the two men standing by the fire, just very low as volume.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

• 2 weeks later...

@zzz: I get a 403 Forbidden error when trying to access http://jiang-hu.org/...-visualsubsync.

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.
Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

The link works me fine right now and then. If it fails again, please consider using proxy or VPN to get there.

Syncing line by line for all the subs is not humanly possible for a small team as ours. Only those that really need it are done like that. I use VSS for all my syncs but not all are done line by line.
About that Fringe subtitle, those lines exist in the caption provided by FOX and the lines are spoken by the two men standing by the fire, just very low as volume.

Initial state of the uploaded files is not the issue here. What I complain about is that when I tried to fix or make it better, my work was reversed and my account was banned. What's the point of that?
As for the Fringe subtitle, I still cannot hear any of the six lines. I barely hear "fine" or "mine" at around 0:56 and mumbling a word right after that with full volume. Yes, I listen LOL mp4 file. Do you? Funny thing is there is no similar word or any kind in the corresponding lines that is "He don't give me the money, he's gonna know about it. I'll tell you that."
This is just an tip of an iceberg. This week's Chicago Fire S01E05, at 6:47 Severide says "I grab it" before he says "I got it." Yet only "I got it" is in the subtitle. Before that, at 6:25, Hallie says "And we are ready here." but the line is "And we're ready to go." Between 4:57 and 5:18 is a big chaos. Lots of unheard pharases and lots of dropped lines. I really did my best to correct them, but did not reflect them here in case they are rejected again.

- Initially uploaded files have lots of flaws to be fixed.
- I am willing to fix them and in fact I did.
- Yet my effort was/is not welcomed here. I don't know why. That is the problem.

Can you give me your username on addic7ed and tell me which sub you tried to fix and got banned for?

The thing is the CCs are made by some companies based on what they get from the televisions. Some words are changed and some are not properly heard, but they are there. We cannot verify every word spoken, as I said and if you are willing to correct these, we can only appreciate it. Maybe there was some bug that the edits were not stored. Please give me your username and I will make some investigations.

Thanks.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

• 1 month later...

The purpose of using subtitles is not to be able to read every word as it´s spoken IMO. The purpose is to get the meaning while watching. If you bitch about imperfect subs you don't have time to enjoy what you're watching. Addic7ed is almost perfect though :)

• Like 2