Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Subtitle Edit...generated Waveform Out Of Sync With Speech And Sounds

2 posts in this topic

Posted

Have been using Subtitle edit successfully for about a month now, and it has done a great job on 36 episodes of Un village francais that I am translating into English .

But on the latest episode that I'm working on, Series 5 Episode 1, the waveform I generated gradually becomes out of sync with the sound.

The actual sound  matches the lip movements, doors slamming etc  on-screen, so there doesn't seem to be  a problem with the film.

At the beginning of the episode, the waveform matches the sound, but it gradually falls out of sync. At the end of the episode ( about 45 minutes), the waveform cursor leads the actual sounds by 1.5 seconds.

This makes visual subtitle syncing a lot more difficult.

It hasn't happened on the previous 36 episodes and doesn't appear to be a problem on the remaining 11.

Any ideas on why ?  Can it be corrected ?   

Posted

Hi Rod,

wave extraction with VLC normally works, but I have seen a few files where the sync failed... it's worth a try to download FFMPEG and switch to use FFMPEG for wave form extraction (SE -> Options -> Settings -> Wave form). FFMPEG can handle a few more formats than VLC