Your favourite Video Players ?

ednys

There are numerous video players available, so what's your favourite one, and why?

After having used many players in the past, today after I upgraded VLC Media player to version 2.2.1, I definitely love it. It's compatible with many formats, and has a customizable interface. I guess I'm not the only one who likes it. (although for music, I'm still stuck with Winamp)...

And at last, in this new version, after many years of waiting, they made the subtitle list show the language name (in fact it shows whatever the file name contains between the video name and the extension, between dots, like mymovie.language.srt ) ! It used to be just numbers... (while other media player showed the full subtitle name).

It is much easier to choose now.

Congratulations to the VLC developers!

Now I wish we had a function to display 2 subtitles at the same time (choosing the position and colour of each). For that I use PowerDVD, because it allows to show a secondary subtitle on top of the screen.

And I also wish they had different icons for every media format... Because the orange cone icon for each file type is a bit monotonous. For this, I made my own set of icons in various colours, and assigned them manually to different file extensions using a tool for Windows called "FileTypesMan".

srt_explorer.jpg

srt_vlc2.2.1.jpg

filetypesmanico.jpg

• Like 2

Hello,

my favourite player is, by far, BS.Player Pro.
I tried a lot of players, a lot (I could give you the list, but the list would be very long), and for me BSP is the best. Most of the players have a Windows like screen, like VLC with the file menu. With BSP, the video window is sepate with the control window, so no need to full screen, and you can still work easely on other software, surf, without always have to go from full screen to normal to look something other than the video.
And BSP also show you a window with subs available when you start a video file when it detect there's no sub file for the video.

EDIT: I added a screnshot from BSP, but apparently it did not upload, sorry

Edited by mstoll
screenshot missing
  • Like 1

Thanks! Indeed, BS Player Pro is very good. We can even display 2 different subtitles at once (we can set up fonts & colour...)

I was using actually version 1 as my default player, a long time ago, but I don't remember why I didn't like the changes they made in version 2. (I think it was some kind of watermark or adverts, in the free version).

Anyway... It has lots of options, offers many skins (I personally like Mgc3WMP).

And we can assign customs icons for each file type, in the Preference window. And many more things.

bsplayer2subs.jpg

bsplayer_icons.jpg

bsplayer2subsSkinMgc3WMP.jpg

Yeah, you right, version 1.x was always a free version, and then they were bought by some company and since 2.x, there's the free version (with ads, ...), but the pro version is really great, liked you explained with many, many options.
If you looking for a great player, I would recommend buying it.
Personnaly I like the Windows Phone 7 skin

Also right, the developpers of VLC did a great job, if if would sepate the control and view window, I would maybe consider a change.

BSP screen.jpg

Although I highly recommend vlc for day-to-day use, there are some things that vlc does not do yet. For example, playing movies encoded with the new x265 high efficiency codec.

I found one player that plays that, and more. It looks good enough, it's reliable and free.

http://www.light-alloy.ru/