TVRage replacement

shotfirer

Hi, Addic7ed team.

I think it's pretty obvious now, that TVRage is gone for good. Maybe it's time to move on? I don't know, if you're planning to fix the problems, caused by this, but there is a new site with the similar concept. It's called TVMaze, it is community supported and offering a free API. Just suggesting, in case you'll be looking for the new API provider.

Anyway, thanks for everything that you doing for us :)

Hi,

First of all, to answer your question, I've been using http://thetvdb.com/ and it's adiquate. 

HOWEVER....

Just yesterday I clicked on my TVRage link and saw a message that they were/are trying to come back. Go visit their URL to see the message. Hope springs eternal. 

Hi,

According to BigDocFan, TVRage will be back online soon. 

Due to a security issue and an intrusion within our network, potential illegal activity went unnoticed in the background.
This was discovered due to a higher amount of data traffic being used. 
That since begin September research has been done, although slowly to find out this activity and we had a few road bumps,
but are pleased to announce TVRage is going to be back online soon, changes are planned for the future. We invite you to revisit the website and think about contributing, 
and hope a bit more patients can be asked for more chances to come,
the investigation is still ongoing but TVRage is secure to put online. 

The last news are from 2 days ago :)

Source

The source isn't verified, I don't vouch for it. :(

Edited by Nest0r
  • Like 1

"Anyone can hide from an enemy, Doctor. No one from a friend."

Hi,

According to BigDocFan, TVRage will be back online soon. 

The last news are from 2 days ago :)

Source

The source isn't verified, I don't vouch for it. :(

Yeah, maybe, i don't know. Like they never said that before.

In any case, i think that having two sources of data is better, than one. Even if TVRage will be back, nobody knows, how reliable it will be or how long it will live until the next crash. 

Anyway, how hard can it be to change dozen of API calls? If only somebody care... 

• 1 month later...

Okay, here's official update on TVRage API, from their forums: 

We don't have proper funds to bring it back online yet. Perhaps in few months time *maybe* if not will have to wait until we recover after this few months downtime first.

So, nifty I'm Following / I've Viewed features will be broken and unusable for indeterminate time. Besides, many of the contributors already moved from TVRage to TVMaze. So, why not change API provider for something working? TVDb, TVMaze – anything, that works.

Many tvmaze links are down now, so it doesn't seem to be a reliable replacement.

​I'm not quite sure, what do you mean. What links are down?

But anyway, there's always TVDb, which is slow sometimes, but working well for many years, API included. At least it can be a backup solution, or a second source, when (if) TVRage is backThey've already raised over $1700 of donations for the site, saying nothing about API. And then they've announced, that they need $2000 more for the API :35:

• 2 months later...