Issue with uploading subtitles.

NeewaX

Hello,

I hope I am posting in the right sub forum. I made a subtitle file containing approximately 1100 lines.

Yet, after uploading it to addic7ed and downloading it from the site, the subtitle file contains only 7 lines.

It is obviously not the file's fault, since if I upload it somewhere else, I can download the full sub. Also I tried uploading with a different browser on addic7ed, but no luck.

How to fix this? Thanks.

The issue was that I wrote the time with ; instead of ,

Addicted will not recognize 00:01:00;000 --> 00:01:00;500, but will recognize 00:01:00,000 --> 00:01:00,500.

How the file is saved is important too. When I upload a srt (resync subs) from my ubuntu pc (linux) I have to save the srt file with the option UTF-8 for Windows (not Macintosh or Unix).

• Like 1

Hi @NeewaX,

I don't know which software you used but it's strange it let you put ";" instead of ",".

For sure Subtitle Edit & Subtitle Workshop don't let you do it.

And like @derrick45 said, always be sure to save your files in UTF-8 format before uploading on Addic7ed, or your sub might be all screwed up.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Hi!

Tired of waiting for a non-HI version of Poldark S04E06 I made the necessary corrections myself, made sure I saved the SRT-file as UTF-8 and uploaded it as a new version.
Naturally I downloaded it immediately to check it – and naturally something went wrong with character encoding.

I have checked with the staff, and yes, files should be UTF-8, but it doesn't work for me.

I'm on a Mac and I have tried saving as UTF-8 from both TextEdit and Jubler, but to no avail.
The best result was some Windows encoding, which still left me with two hours of corrections after uploading.

Any suggestions?

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I'm not on Mac anymore, but if I remember well, in Preferences of TextEdit/ Open and Save  / Plain Text File Encoding were both set as : 

Opening Files : UTF-8

Saving Files : UTF-8

Are your settings like this?

This place is like somebody's memory of a town, and the memory is fading.

Hi and thank you for your answer!

No, my settings were not like that, but I have always checked that I saved as UTF-8.
Perhaps it could make a difference though.

I have now adjusted my settings as you suggest and re-saved and uploaded a new version – two hours of manual resync – of The Handmaid's Tale S03E07 for version HDTV MORiTZ and it looks OK to me after downloading. The musical note symbols are intact, which means it should fly.

Perhaps you could take a look too and confirm?

Thanks again!

Hi, fetrympa!

I took a look at your file. It's correctly encoded (in UTF-8) and all special characters appear accurately. There is one issue though. The lines in italics are not properly syntaxed. The start italics symbol (<i>) is present at the beginning of the lines but the end italics symbol (</i>) is absent in all of them.

You also stated that your file was a resync from NTb. But firefly's non-HI NTb file doesn't have any italics. Also, his file has 597 sequences while yours has 610. I'm not sure what exactly you did but a simple resync only changes the timings; it doesn't change the text nor does it add sequences.

In any case, I assume it was your first try. Taking that into account, it was a good first attempt. So, well done! Next time you'll do much better, I'm sure. :)

Thank you for checking and answering!
I must have mixed up the names checking different versions. My file should be based on the AMZN.WEB-DL.NTb version.
I did not only resync, I also split long lines in two and I cut out the last lines since MORiTZ version is shorter.

The italic endings seems to have been dropped by Jubler, the application I use. Unfortunately I did not notice this until after uploading.
I will check in on that.

Edit:
I can confirm that Jubler looses italic end codes and other codes, like color, completely.
Annoying issue, which I will report to the Jubler team.