Swedish subs available earlier compared to English subs?

Raya016

Hey Guys

Up Front: I don't know the smallest bit about making subtitles, so far I've been on the consuming side only. 

I noticed recently (particularly for "Outsiders" and the 2016 remake of Roots), that Scandinavian, especially Swedish subtitles seemed to be available many hours before the English ones were for those shows (sometimes a whole day earlier).

This confused me, as I reckon both shows to be English in the original tone.

Wouldn't the person creating the Swedish subs be translating them from an English script? How come the English subs are so late then? 

How can one get ahold of that English Script?

So long and thanks in advance for all answers

Raya

Hi, Raya016. Welcome to Sub-Talk.

The only thing we can clarify for you is that availability of English subtitles here on Addic7ed depends on the free time that each responsible syncer has.

Also, there are many translators who actually translate by listening, so the whole process of hearing and understanding dialogs happens on their minds.

• Like 1

I indeed didn't think of that possibility, which might already be the (in that case quite trivial) solution :P

And, while i'm at it, a huge -Thank You!- to all the people putting in their free time so that I and the rest of the Internet may enjoy our shows and movies with subtitles.

Your work is very much appreciated.

So long

Raya

• Like 3