automatic subtitles

NinaP

• 2 years later...

Hello, I have been curious about this as well.

There are a few different A.I. driven programs that make text out of audio. (Like Youtube) It isn't always accurate.

Most common are the Monthly/Yearly subscriptions. Based on audio length or the # of letters. There are some stand alone programs, which is what I would want.

But I cannot recommend any because I have not tried them.

I think I would get a lot of use out of program like that. But I'm not sure which to buy/try. I don't want a subscription I don't use, or a useless program.

Does anyone have some experience with A.I. text generation applications? Any suggestions, or should I just work on my stenography skills? :P 

Edited by ChuckBrown
Many A.I subs charge $ by the letter.

4 hours ago, ChuckBrown said:

Hello, I have been curious about this as well.

There are a few different A.I. driven programs that make text out of audio. (Like Youtube) It isn't always accurate.

Most common are the Monthly/Yearly subscriptions. Based on audio length or the # of letters. There are some stand alone programs, which is what I would want.

But I cannot recommend any because I have not tried them.

I think I would get a lot of use out of program like that. But I'm not sure which to buy/try. I don't want a subscription I don't use, or a useless program.

Does anyone have some experience with A.I. text generation applications? Any suggestions, or should I just work on my stenography skills? :P 

I use a program called autosub (on Linux). It's pretty old and does call Google Speech AI routines to do transcription. The results are maybe 50+% accuracy. I then do line by line editing and syncing. It helps a bit, but not as much as I had hoped.

I haven't used anything else, so can't really comment. But most seems to do online conversions, which I find troublesome.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, eggie1961 said:

I use a program called autosub (on Linux). It's pretty old and does call Google Speech AI routines to do transcription. The results are maybe 50+% accuracy. I then do line by line editing and syncing. It helps a bit, but not as much as I had hoped.

I haven't used anything else, so can't really comment. But most seems to do online conversions, which I find troublesome.

Thanks for that, I'm sure it's improved a bit over the years. I'm thinking about reinstalling a Linux distro and dual boot/virtual machine. My machine is powerful enough now, and I only use Windows to play video-games, which isn't often anymore. Who wants to support Microsoft/Bill Gates these days? Not me.

I don't like the idea of uploading my files onto Alphabet servers myself.

18 hours ago, forgetit said:

I don't hold much hope for this. Just have a look at what youtube does with auto-generated subs. At best it's just about ok, but often a lot of it is pure nonsense. Things get worse when also autotranslating. And I'm sure google/youtube are using state of the art, AI speech to text software for this.

Yeah, Youtube can be very inaccurate depending on accents and sound quality. And it's one of the best.

I haven't bothered with, and likely won't. Especially when most programs charge $ by the time/word.

If a program is guaranteeing 95% accuracy, that's still 5 words to find in every 100. (And they say they use Google A.I.)

With 800-1200 lines of text, for me on average. With 5-10 words per line.

That's a lot of incorrect words. ~40-120 @ 5 Words per line. (That's conservative) Not found by spell-check, on a 45 minute television episode.

Not worth the effort or money! I guess I will need to get better at typing as I watch, while I use SubEdit.

Edited by ChuckBrown
Math