Nbc's 'the Event'

fitzstudio

Imagine a secret so secret that the President of the United States of America is not on the Need-To-Know list—one that would change the course of history were it to become widespread public knowledge.
Sounds like a great premise for an intense action-suspense drama. It's so good that NBC has utilized it as the basis for the highly anticipated television drama 'The Event', scheduled to debut September 20, 2010. The description above was taken directly from the trailer. Few television series have generated this much abject curiosity prior to their debut and no event since someone shot J.R. Ewing has been kept so secret by a publicity hungry television studio.
So what is the Event that will change television history?
According to Wikipedia, "The Event follows Sean Walker (Jason Ritter), a man who, while investigating the mysterious disappearance of his fiancée, ends up unraveling the biggest cover-up in U.S. history; a coverup which shapes the very core of mankind as a whole, whose implications are lifechanging."
According to Access Hollywood, what is being covered up and what the event is, is currently the best kept secret in Hollywood. So secret, in fact, that most of the cast do not know what the Event that drives the plot really is. Despite repeated attempts to pry the secret from the cast, Access Hollywood has been unable to get an answer to this public relations mystery.
The promotional clips for the series are a masterpiece of ambiguity as to the exact nature of the situation that forces the President to contemplate the most profound act of his political career. If you watch them with the mindset of the consensus paradigm, several possibilities come to mind: The well-worn notion of impending destruction of an American city by a terrorist nuclear device; the release of an unstoppable genetically designed plague; a planetary extinction level event cause by an impending meteor strike or something even worse. Whatever that might be.
There is an event in the first episode, apparently an attack upon the President by forces unknown, but that is not the event, which remains a closely guarded trade secret. According to Blair Underwood, who plays President Elias Martinez, a Cuban-American proud of his heritage, the true nature of the event will be apparent to the audience by the second episode, but the answer to that question will only engender many more questions which will be progressively answered as the series continues. And that statement itself is a clue.
You don't have to wait until the second episode to find out what drives the plot of 'The Event' and has Hollywood and the fall viewing audience in suspense.

Aliens, it's gotta be aliens. Seems very 4400ish. Or a wormhole to another dimension was discovered and they are trying to keep it hidden.
Watched the pilot and i have to say it seems promising... but then again so was flashforward when it started. I just hope they have a definite destination in mind.

• 1 month later...

I've watched all episodes so far and I gotta say I really like it.

I like the way the story is told, the acting is mostly good and each episode leaves me longing for the next one. They are giving you a lot of information of clues, but don't reveal everything. One of the better new shows of this season for sure.

I guess a lot of people will compare it to Heroes, because - seemingly - a lot of folks in the biz expect it to fill Heroes' spot, but tbh I consider that a highly unfair task, since this is a totally different show that'll probably appeal to people who weren't into Heroes and vice versa (not exclusively though!)...

I hope it'll be renewed for at least one more season. Watched the new Ep yesterday and can't wait to see what happens next.