Google Again - And Revsci.net

spyderspyder

'Morning.

Google Analytics

Do you ever go to a website that you visit often and see something like "google.analytics..." in your task bar while the page is loading?

It's another bit of Google intrusion that you are enjoying without being aware of it.

Google Analytics generates detailed statistics about the visitors to a website, and is currently in use on around 57% of the 10,000 most popular websites. It is a service widely offered by Google to marketers advertising on websites. In its present form, it's harmless (ish) but can slow down loading times - and note Google's use of the word, "detailed".

What is not so widely publicised is that Google offers an opt-out tool as a Firefox add-on:
http://tools.google....dlpage/gaoptout

revsci.net

This one can be really annoying - and, in my opinion, is spyware.

You may have experienced pages that seem to hang, with something like "waiting for js.revsci.net...", or "connecting to ads.revsci.net...", etc., in the task bar.

I've mostly seen the js.revsci version, and just assumed that it was a Java feature on the web page in question... Wrong!

It's an ad server, and it is downloading a script (tracking cookie) to your computer. Your adware cleaner will possibly remove it, eventually, when it runs, but won't stop it slowing your browser.

You can block it, thus:
- If you have Firefox. Go to Tools, Options, Privacy,and in the Cookies box you will see Exceptions. Click on Exceptions and enter the web site address of revsci. You can use this procedure for any web site you dont want to have.
- For Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Internet Options, the Privacy tab, then click on the little box that says Sites. Then there's a box where you type in the web address that you don't want to allow access to your computer. I typed in both addresses, after I typed in the address, I clicked on Block.

Better than the above, install the Firefox add-on, "NoScript":
https://addons.mozil...efox/addon/722/
This will block all scripts (with customising options to allow sites like Sub-Talk) or block only selected sites, etc., and is a worthwhile security extra.

s.

• Like 1

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.

thumbs up for NoScript. I find it way better than AdBlock (when it comes to blocking ads) and way better than any antivirus when it comes to online protection (browsing)

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

Another one I like is Flashblock - blocks ALL Flash content from loading, but leaves placeholders on the webpage that you click to view or download as you wish

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Just to try SpyShelter Personal.
It is a small anti keylogging utility.
I know, it is not a mozilla addon, but...

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

That Spy Shelter is quite good - it reminds me of Online Armor (Free), but not as comprehensive.

I found it annoying that it questions everything, often without you being able to determine what was being questioned. Online Armor will do an initial scan of installed software and processes to give them prior permissions, as well as querying anything not previously scanned.
Online Armor also includes a very good firewall (optional) with usefuly upload and download traffic info.

Try it: https://www.online-a...-armor-free.php

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

You're welcome.

What we are talking about here is HIPS (-ish).

Another worthwhile program is Win Patrol.
I personally hate it, mainly because of the silly little dog gimmick, but it's well tried and trusated by millions - and has a free version!

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

I've tried some time ago Win Patrol and I don't like it.
Right now I'm quite pleased with Spy Shelter, I've made some settings on it, to show me what processes are in danger to be modified (it is something like learning for SpyShelter).
And I use Win7 firewall, to my surprise, a good and powerfull one. Indeed :D , I had to set up many things, but it works, and works better. (I had tried before Zone Alarm, AVG, Agnitum Outpost and some more).
One of the best firewalls that I used it was Jerico Personal Firewall. But that one has a big minus: all rules must custom written! :D

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK: