Syncing subtitles accurately

alex28

Hi.

It might be because a .srt sub is not related to frame rate, but to elapsed time from a start datum (i.e., 00:00,00).

How to get from where you are is another matter, especially as you don't say what software you were using - maybe just start again.

s.

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.

Ok, to begin I think I've found out that it's a matter of frame rate problem as the sub file starts perfect and goes wrong the more on in the video file.
I checked the video file properties and tells me that is 29 frames x second.
I selected ''Tools">"Change frame rate'' and a box opened:
From frame rate "23,976" [this was already written in the box]
To frame rate "EMPTY". So I checked the options available there and I choose the one more close to 29 [29,97]
I did "ok" and then I saved the srt file.

It didn't work: now the srt file is starting goin out of sync already after 10 secs of video.... :(

What did I wrong?

Help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :rolleyes:

First of all, you don't need to make changes on video frame rate. You must sincronize subtitle timing with video, right?
So,
I'm doing in this way:

1. After SE setup, I've created a folder inside SE folder, named Works to Do

2. In that folder, I had copy video file and .srt file, both with same name (but I guess you know that).

3. Open .srt file. SE will open also the video file.
If video player in not ON, then:
uyiic.jpg

4. Press START on video player.

5.At the first spoken words, press PAUSE on video player and then select the subtitle line, according with what you hear.
Then:
e02zi8.jpg

Now you just set starting point of .srt.
Next you have to watch if all sub lines match video.
If don't, adjust them, controls are very easy to use and very intuitive.

doc.

P.S. If you need more help, scream! :D :D :D

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Thnx for trying but the problem is that the srt and the video they start ok, they're in perfect sync; then while the video plays the srt starts goin out of sync: the more on the more out of sync.
It's not that ALL subs are out of sync in all video of 5000ms, they start IN SYNC and they finish [end of video] like 1min+30sec OUT OF SYNC!
How is it possible? Why is this way? [that's why I though about a frame rate problem....]
If it was a fixed delay i'd have no prob as my WD HDTV can move the subs + or - 10000ms [well it would be a problem if the out of sync was more than 10000ms (like in this case...)]
Anyway, seen the problem I should re-sync nearly every line [or maybe every 3 lines] but anyway too much work specially without knowing very well SE [my case]
I think so that I got two options:
1) downloading the normal rip [not 720p] and watch it with the existing subs;
2) watching it without subs [Alias is quite easy to understand so it might be a good option].

Thanks anyway for your help,
Fitz

I assume that the first line is in sinc. and that the sub. goes progressively out of sync. throughout the file...

In which case, the first thing that I would try would be to adjust merely the timing of the last spoken line to the video.

Using STWorkshop (cos I'm not familiar with these new-fangled programs) this is simply a case of Edit/Timings/Adjust/Adjust subtitles...

Note that the last line of the sub. must be the last spoken line; if the last line of the sub. is a credit line, delete it before adjusting.

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Thnx for trying but the problem is that the srt and the video they start ok, they're in perfect sync; then while the video plays the srt starts goin out of sync: the more on the more out of sync.
It's not that ALL subs are out of sync in all video of 5000ms, they start IN SYNC and they finish [end of video] like 1min+30sec OUT OF SYNC!
How is it possible? Why is this way? [that's why I though about a frame rate problem....]
If it was a fixed delay i'd have no prob as my WD HDTV can move the subs + or - 10000ms [well it would be a problem if the out of sync was more than 10000ms (like in this case...)]
Anyway, seen the problem I should re-sync nearly every line [or maybe every 3 lines] but anyway too much work specially without knowing very well SE [my case]
I think so that I got two options:
1) downloading the normal rip [not 720p] and watch it with the existing subs;
2) watching it without subs [Alias is quite easy to understand so it might be a good option].

Thanks anyway for your help,
Fitz

this happens all the time for ABC shows. it is a frame issue, but you cannot correct it adjusting the frame rate. you have to sync it line by line. I use VSS for that, but it's a tiring job.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

this happens all the time for ABC shows. it is a frame issue, but you cannot correct it adjusting the frame rate. you have to sync it line by line. I use VSS for that, but it's a tiring job.

so, simply synchronizing the last line won't make the sub right as spyderspyder suggested?
i should re-sync ALL lines of the .srt?
well, in that case, having one complete season subs [23] and not a single episode i'll pass...
thnx anyway
fitz

"so, simply synchronizing the last line won't make the sub right as spyderspyder suggested?"

Possibly noe, but it would take less than a minute to try...

Doing what I suggested doesn't only sync. the last line; the first line being already fixed to a time, and shifting the last line pulls all the intermediate lines in the same direction in increasing amounts (from start to end).

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

"so, simply synchronizing the last line won't make the sub right as spyderspyder suggested?"

Possibly noe, but it would take less than a minute to try...

Doing what I suggested doesn't only sync. the last line; the first line being already fixed to a time, and shifting the last line pulls all the intermediate lines in the same direction in increasing amounts (from start to end).

s.

STW doesn't open the video file ["is not a valid video file'']; i had the same problem with SE but i solved using VLC as ''SE video player''.
in the options of STW i cannot do the same [i tried adding vlc.exe inside'' Options>>Exe of the video player'' but the error msg is still the same] so i cannot open the video, and with SE if i sync the last line this doesn't affect all previous lines that just stay as they were before......

now i understand why there are no subs for Alias S3 @ 720p: it's an impossible work......................................................... :(

STW doesn't open the video file ["is not a valid video file'']; i had the same problem with SE but i solved using VLC as ''SE video player''.
[...]

That means the time of the last line it is "out of range" related to video.
I mean the last sub line is like

175 01:25:123 - 01:27:652 Something like this

but video file end at 01:23:857

Is it correct?

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

All this syncing talk gave me an idea... u know how those voice-recognition, facial-recognition, movement-recognition stuff has been the new hype lately (& not so too..)...

Well how hard wouldit be to make a little freeware that recognize human speech in a video ? I'm pretty sure the actors' voices are different from all the other noises no ? Like in terms of frequency or pitch range u could even identify the different voices... i'mno acoustic expert nor software developper (just a visionnary ;)), but imagine just playing the video once while this utopic program in the background detects & write the timing for each line, then all u need to do is translate...

It would b even easier if the audio part of a movie was separated into different "files", since anyway most of the music & audio effects are added in post-production (ever saw those people rubbing weird stuff with their hands to simulate walking on snow & such ?), this would heavily simplify things now wouldn't it ?

[...]
Well how hard wouldit be to make a little freeware that recognize human speech in a video ?
[...]

It is hard.
Did you try it voice recognition feature on your computer (well, that "poor" feature given to you by an OS as Windows)?
Could you say anything good about that?
An option (to sync a subtitle) using "voices" or "sounds" (as a wave form) it is offered by VSS, and also Subtitle Editor.
Kerensky have also a nice application, who extract "timing" from a video file.
But, besides some "organizations" :) , I never meet such a "little freeware" that could make a voice recognition, beeing for "mass" usage :D .

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

That means the time of the last line it is "out of range" related to video.
I mean the last sub line is like

175 01:25:123 - 01:27:652 Something like this

but video file end at 01:23:857

Is it correct?

doc.

i don't think so. SW doesn't open the video but, from the msg, it doesn't seem to be related to the lenght of the srt/video
it's a ''strange'' 720p as it's not as usual a mkv, it's an avi
anyway no prob, i'll see the 3rd season without subs as Alias is quite easy to undestand w/out subs...

p.s.: you're right, the video is shorter than the srt, anyway i deleted last 10 lines of the srt to make the srt shorter than the video and SW still doesn't open the video file...

[...]
it's a ''strange'' 720p as it's not as usual a mkv, it's an avi
[...]

Maybe that video file is a .mkv file but it is renamed as a .avi file.
Maybe.

Try to open that video file, using SW, WITHOUT .srt.
If you get same error message, that means it is not an .avi file.

"That means the time of the last line it is "out of range" related to video. "
Because of that one, I had quit use SW.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

It is hard.
Did you try it voice recognition feature on your computer (well, that "poor" feature given to you by an OS as Windows)?
Could you say anything good about that?
An option (to sync a subtitle) using "voices" or "sounds" (as a wave form) it is offered by VSS, and also Subtitle Editor.
Kerensky have also a nice application, who extract "timing" from a video file.
But, besides some "organizations" :) , I never meet such a "little freeware" that could make a voice recognition, beeing for "mass" usage :D .

doc.

Really ? And so does it work good or is it subject to errors & need manual correction ? ... another idea i tught was knew but alrdy exploited :P haha one day i'll come up with something unreleased !

Really ? And so does it work good or is it subject to errors & need manual correction ? ... another idea i tught was knew but alrdy exploited :P haha one day i'll come up with something unreleased !

I guess in that day you will become suddenly rich !:D

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

"That means the time of the last line it is "out of range" related to video."
In other words, the timing need adjustment - adjustingt the last time to the last spoken line of the video, would pull it all back.

"i deleted last 10 lines of the srt to make the srt shorter than the video"
That's a novel approach... :D
Deleting lines just removes text - the timing of what was left remained unchanged.

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

"That means the time of the last line it is "out of range" related to video."
In other words, the timing need adjustment - adjustingt the last time to the last spoken line of the video, would pull it all back.
[...]

Thank you for helping me to make myself understand for the others.
It's a "mess" in my head, when I try to explain something to someone, using English.
:D

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

"Thank you for helping me to make myself understand for the others."
Oh - that wasn't my intention, but you're welcome. :)

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

"Thank you for helping me to make myself understand for the others."
Oh - that wasn't my intention, but you're welcome. :)

s.

For me, any kind of help it is welcomed.
Thank you.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

You do a good job, Doc.

I am infinitely tolerant of they who work at communicating in a another tongue.

What I do not tolerate - mainly by ignoring - are they who deliberately distort any language, and its structure, in some illusion of "cool" (whatever...). They are almost as damned as they for whom the finer points of spelling and grammar are denied by ignorance.

Keep working at it, Doc. :D
s.

United%20Kingdom.gif