Slang Dictionary

DrJackson

A cheerful greeting to everyone

Let's take methodically.

Haveing some free time witch I had to fill it with something useful to me and society, I started to translate some subtitles for some serials, serials that are older and have no subtitles what I am interested for.
I used with enthusiasm Subtitle Workshop (version. .. I do not know which), I did those subtitles, then I discovered (after a slight dizziness that called Google search) that these subtitles exist, and, to my surprise, those are better than products made by me.
I don't want to tell you about a half-hour that followed my amazing discoveries about subtitles, is irrelevant.:D
Instead, I thought to take those subtitles and update them working with subtitles in English (because of timming).

Here began the fun and amusement.

I start to work, very proud and eager, using SW, opened the original and translated text, and ...
First finding: number of lines did not correspond between those two subtitles. No problem, I say, take it easy and set time, manually, by hand. :D After some hours, I found that I'm only on the 10th minute and some change, so I quit this option.

The second finding: I open SW in translation mode and I start to get line by line from translated version next to original version. Big mistake! Who has strong nerves to try!
So, with great effort, I quit SW (which mention that I've used so far with great pleasure) and go to Subtitle Editor by Nikse.

Here, surprise!
I found (after 15 seconds of checking menus) that here is something called Google Translation!
Do not be nervous grasp?

Normally, I start and check what that Translation with Google do. And found that it is doing what he know s better, I mean, it translated. (Here I would have something to tell you more, but it would mean to play my conversations with Nikse, if you're interested, those are in section Subtitles / Software - Thread named: Subtitle Edit (subtitle editor open source) - the last few replies to the second page. This boy may have great patience.).
With happiness etched on my face, I start to use last BETA version given and I look forward absolutely satisfied about my program and subtitles.

Until here, nothing new on the Western Front, right? :D

Now comes the interesting part.
It appears last episode of Warehouse 13. Elderman shall deliver promptly on the market of quality and timely subtitles provided by addic7ed.com.
I start downloading it nice, then I start translation (sites in my neighborhood provides a little later - after my opinion - translated version) (although lately I kinda saw several episodes of different series that I follow using subtitles in English, but I have someone near me that is just at the beginning of learning English). I use Google Translate to translate it, and then I start to correct phrases to sound good.
Surprise!
Google does not know how to translate! Otherwise I can not explain a whole lot of words given back in English.
But, reading more carefully all those phrases in English, I found that poor Google is innocent, that expressions are slang! And are slang in what I call it , the American language! :)

If you have not tired (yet), I got to topic:
Since there are many knowledgeable of English on this forum, you do not want to give me (me and perhaps others that are interested in this), some alternatives (ie, a kind of synonyms for expressions), or trying to make here a kind of explanatory dictionary of slang expressions, to be not more afflicted people (less knowledge of English, but they will be caught and translated), behind each 5 - 10 minutes trying to realize what does that mean an expression found in a subtitle in English?

And to be even more explicit:

Tappon coach finally got our asses in gear

I call shenanigans

You got both paddles in the water (Of course you understood that it was not about rowing)

Gar-Bear

Last month, he Moved to Bayside Heights. Very schmancy and Richie Rich.

The list is open ... :D

All the best,

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

If you have not tired (yet), I got to topic:
Since there are many knowledgeable of English on this forum, you do not want to give me (me and perhaps others that are interested in this), some alternatives (ie, a kind of synonyms for expressions), or trying to make here a kind of explanatory dictionary of slang expressions, to be not more afflicted people (less knowledge of English, but they will be caught and translated), behind each 5 - 10 minutes trying to realize what does that mean an expression found in a subtitle in English

For slang: UrbanDictionary.com, for all the rest, mastercard :P (really bad joke, I know xD)

Well, thank you for both options. :)

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

"Tappon coach finally got our asses in gear"
In the US, the word "ass" is often used instead of any personal pronoun:
"Get your ass over here!" = "Get yourself over here." (or,"Come here.")
"Get your ass in gear." = "Pull yourself together", "Get with it." "Stop dreaming, and act!". etc...

So, translation:
Tappon coach (whatever that or he is) finally got us to act efficiently (or expeditiously, effectively...etc).

"ass" (plural: "asses") is the US wussy euphemism for the Anglo-Saxon "arse" (plural "arses").

I did an edit on 2 subs recently:
Dr. Lightman (Lie to Me) said, "I saved your arse", for which the subber wrote, "ass".
Similarly, Sophie (Leverage) said something about an "arse-slap" for which, again, the subber wrote "ass-slap".
No true-blooded English man or woman would say "ass"!)

*************************************************************************************************

"shenanigans" = tricky or devious behavour, more mischievous than bad.
One might say "Stop your shenanigans, and get on with your work!"
Origin unknown, possibly Irish or Irish/N. American; entered English colloquial language, mid C19th.

*************************************************************************************************

"You got both paddles in the water"
No idea, without context.

"Gar-Bear" No idea.

"Last month, he Moved to Bayside Heights. Very schmancy and Richie Rich."

"schmancy" = "fancy", from a Euro-Yiddish colloquial 'trick' of substituting schm- (or, sometime, just "sch-") for the true consonant (or consonant-blend) onset of a word, in a joking or dismissive way.
With a vowel onset, the schm- is merely added.

Examples:

1. She says: "It's a very fancy house."
He says: Arrrh... Fancy-schmancy, it's still only bricks and mortar!"

or, as in the old joke:

2. "Incest-schmincest - what does it matter, so long as he loves his mother!"

s.

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.

Very good explanations, thank you very much.

Some of these strange expressions I explained myself somehow, but I was curious about their training as an expresion.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK: