The English Subtitles for "Real Humans" need to be redone

daleylife

I'm watching "Real Humans" with English subtitles provided from this site. I already contacted the site directly, but they said since the subtitles were created by a user (aren't they all?) I should talk about it here.

The English Subtitles for Season 1 of Real Humans are perfectly acceptable.But, the subtitles for Season 2 were done by someone else (Imposter10) and I just want to illustrate what the problem is in hopes it's not done any more on other shows. 

It's slightly complicated, but I'll do my best to explain.

So, with most shows, Real Humans often has two characters talking right after the other. They're having a conversation. The subtitles in season 2 often are displaying both character's lines in one subtitle, where the top line is character 1, and the bottom line is character 2.  In most episodes, a dash ( - ) was placed before the bottom line to indicate a new character was speaking. But, in Episode 4, the dash was left out and I had to translate the Swedish subs to English because it was so frustrating.  In most cases, there was plenty of time for the characters lines to be actual separate subtitles, instead of one where both lines appear. 

I understand creating subs is annoying and very hard work, but at the very least, you MUST place dashes ( -) before a new character's lines. Sometimes, one character spoke multiple sentences, so where every other time I had to tell myself (Okay, this bottom subtitle is the second character), in this instance, it wasn't. And that's when I finally translated the Swedish subs because I could not enjoy the show. 

Here are images of the issue:

mIroqdz.png

The top line "Inger!" is spoken from the character on screen. The bottom line, "Inger has gone to work." is spoken by a character off screen, and there is no dash ( - ) to indicate a new character is speaking. While a person watching can figure this out, when the entire episode (an hour) is formatted this way, it gets very annoying.

qZqYLid.png

In this example, both lines "Niska rang. She wants her paranoia back." are being spoken by the same character on screen, when every other time that had not been the case. 

So, my hope is that somebody can at the very least add dashes ( - ) to the second lines for Episode 4. The other episodes seem fine. Although, in Episode 6, dashes were used sometimes to indicate a character pausing before speaking again, which was confusing.  Again, the majority of these subtitles where two lines spoken by a character appear, could in fact be separate subtitles, with plenty of time to read the previous line. I understand making subtitles takes a long time, but man, episode 4 was a pain the ass to get through. I hope someone will understand and hopefully reconfigure the subs, at least for that episode.

Hi @daleylife,

Why don't you correct them yourself since you're already watching them? That's why the admin talked about subs created/uploaded by "users," as opposed to being created by the Addic7ed team members which you can spot with the Addic7ed banner. See this image with the Addic7ed banner on the left (don't mind the red arrow):

If you want to change the subs, just click on view & edit on the original version, that's it!

Bye!

• Like 2

@daleylife

I understand your anger (not sure you are really angry but this is the feeling I get from reading your post) and frustration about dialogue dashes. Believe me, I have the same.

However, Real Humans is an old series (it ended nearly 3 years ago). The chances that someone will do as you wish (i.e. add the dashes) are very slim. It seems that you have seen the episodes you speak of. So, yes, why not add the dashes yourself? It would be very long for another person to add them, they'd need to review each sequence where two sentences are spoken and then see on the video if there are two speakers or not, and then again correct it on addic7ed. 

Everything we do here is playing our part in the community to make better subtitles. If you do it, you would help those who take these subtitles in the future.

• Like 3

I want to be clear--- I wasn't angry. I was just trying to get my point across.

Before I came onto the forum, I had attempted to edit the subtitles by making the lines spoken by character 2 its own subtitle. I just tried fixed one line, but for some reason, it just wouldn't show up when I played the video file.  The subtitle format in notepad looked correct to me, but it wouldn't display. Adding the dashes is easy and I might go and do that. I can foresee other viewers having a tough time during episode 4. 

• Like 2