Help with Finding Software that Automatically Syncs Subtitles (Using Two Versions of the Same Video)?

h3xpl01t

Hey guys,

Idk if this is the right place to ask, but I'm driving myself crazy trying to remember the name of an application. So hopefully someone here can help or at least point me in the right direction.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember the name of this application for the past few months that's generally used by the anime subbing community. You start by proving two versions of the same video file (so like two different rips by different groups with different timings) and a subtitle file that's synced to one of them. What it does is automatically retime the subtitles by analyzing the two videos, finding where the videos match by frames and what-not, accounts for any differences in video duration/framerate/video content, and then adjusts the subtitle file's timing as necessary and spits out an automatically synced file.

I know it wasn't perfect, but it did a hell of a good job and I could really use it now. But for some reason I forgot what the name of this godsend application was. Aside from just describing what it does, I'll also throw in some other things I remember to see if any details might stir someone's memory. Not sure if I can mention the site I first heard about it on (its one of the largest/longest-running public **** ****s for Japanese media, that should be a pretty huge hint without mentioning it by name), but I'm pretty sure it was a tool created by an uploader on the site and was regularly listed in their descriptions. Pretty sure it was open-source and hosted on GitHub.

I also remember that it was optional for the new video file you were trying to sync your original subtitles to to have subtitles of their own (of any language). You could just use a video with no attached subtitles for the video that's having the subs synced to it, but if I remember correctly it improved the accuracy of the output by essentially giving the program some markers to cheat off of to start with.

Hopefully someone here knows what I'm talking about and can remind me what its name is or point me in the right direction. For the time being I'm using SubtitleEdit and manually adjusting subs with the tool where you mark the same lines between two subtitle files and it syncs them that way. Its a great feature, don't get me wrong, but when you're trying to fixing hundreds of thousands of files manually, it starts to become kinda unfeasible.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide me in finding this thing! Or hell, even if you can think of another tool that can automatically resync thousands of subtitle files, that'd work just as well so long as the output is good and doesn't require much tweaking!

Edited by h3xpl01t