Uk Subs

denbert

Hey every1!
Is there anywhere in Subtitle-land where you can get British English subs?
Mostly have to use Word to translate color, valor ,curb(kerb), tire(tyre) etc.
(Far too many to list here.)
Any others out there feel the same?:rolleyes:

We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
Oscar Wilde

After you'll watch the video bellow, can you be more specific? :D

doc.

• Like 1

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Lol. Very good, old chap. I, of course, mean the Queens English, which has no regional accent and can be
understood the length and breadth of the UK (and over the Irish Sea). :rolleyes:

Oscar Wilde

Well, from my point of view, you need a translation from American English to British English. :)

Please, let me explain something.

As you noticed, addic7ed subtitles are made, let's say, in American English (except those subtitles may be extracted from DVDs, which may exist in British English).

But a subtitle for a movie (which, incidentally or not, is produced by Americans) is more than a support for translators, it is simultaneously a kind of help for those how want to learn English (even American English :) ) and also, for those with hearing impairments.

Therefore, in subtitles you will meet such expressions like "[speak with Jamaican accent]", followed of course by expressions that give Jamaican accent (this is just one example, there are many others).
I mean, a good subtitle help you to understand the context also, not only to know what some characters are talking on the screen.

In addition, most of those who made subtitles, have learned (more or less :) ) English in school, or watching movies with subtitles in English, or who knows how, but are not native speakers of English, much less British English ( I began the study of British English in school, but I finished using American English :) ).

I hope you understand now why I said you need a translation. :)

And I hope to understand what I meant. :)

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Message received and understood. Thank you for taking the time to explain your point of view.
Nevertheless, I still maintain that there should be more British (Queen's) :) English subtitles available
considering it is the mother language for all English-speaking colonies (and ex-colonies e.g USA) :).
I think we'll agree to disagree.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde

• Like 2

Oscar Wilde

• 1 month later...