Scanner Software Problem

Edyth21

Hardware:

· Dell T7400 workstation, dual processor @ 300 G SAS hard drives,Raid 2 configuration, Windows XP 32 bit

· HP 7400c flatbed scanner, USB connection

Background:Things were running fine,including scanner operation, until a software problem,perhaps introduced in a Windows update caused the machine to fail to recognizethe existence of the hard drives -- would not boot up. This was corrected bywiping the hard drives and re-installing Windows XP. Of course all data waslost and all software needed to reinstalled. (Makes one wonder about theusefulness of Raid 2)
The Problem: The scannercomes with a software package, HP Pro Scan. The software appears to installproperly, but cannot initiate a scan. The error message "scanner notfound" is displayed.

However, the scanner doesis recognized by Windows, and operates to scan single pages which can be savedas bit maps. The scanner can also be initiated from Corel Draw. Thisdemonstrates that the hardware and USB connections are working, but leaves thescanner functionally useless for the intended use. Cannot create multipage PDFdocuments directly from the scanner.

The same software disk canbe used on another computer (wife's laptop), also running Windows XP, toinstall HP Pro Scan, and the scanner operates as desired.

Installing the softwarefrom the HP web site produces the same problem as installing from the disk.Erasing the Pro Scan elements in the registry prior to software installationhas no effect.

Neither Dell nor HP haveany idea what the problem might be.

Any ideas ?

It's a little bit drastic, but start a new format procedure and reinstall OS and what other aplications do you have.

HP software (for me) is the most anoying software I ever work with ( I have a printer. With WinXp it was really a lottery game to have that printer working in same way, in different days :) ).

Try a custom instalation instead a standard one of your scanner software.

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Not sure I got this right... the scanner works, but cannot save scans as PDF?
'Cause I've got an HP printer/scanner/copier F2400 and I noticed that if you select "scan a document" you get many more "save as" options (PDF being one of them) than if you select "scan a picture".

Also, I've received an update lately (but have not yet installed it), claiming it solves a serious issue that causes connection problems between the PC and the prinet/scanner, resulting in unfinished jobs and misleading messages on the machine's condition.

It's not the years in the life, but the life in the years dQVXh.gif