Filename

Donjamos

haven't seen any thread on this (and created an account just to discuss it, even if i don't get why you don't host the forum yourself / on the addic7ed site so one can use his addic7ed.com account to use it...) but anyway...

addic7ed.com has been my first choice for subtitles for some years now but i've always been wondering why the downloaded filenames need to have ".addic7ed.com" added to them. i don't see any advantage for your site (since if i intended to share them on another site or with other people and didn't want them to know they are not mine but from here, i could always change the filename) and a major disadvantage for the users since players like vlc won't automatically detect them and it can be a lot of trouble if you watch a few episodes (of either one show or different) in a row. if you don't sit next to your pc while doing so you have to get up every 20-40 minutes only to add the next subtitle.

(for example, the last cleveland show subtitle: the most common filename for the LOL version's videofile should be "The.Cleveland.Show.S04E11.HDTV.x264-LOL", why does the subtitle filename need to be "The Cleveland Show - 04x11 - Brownsized.LOL.English.C.orig.Addic7ed.com" instead of using the same as the videofile...)

if there's something i'm missing please educate me, no problem in acknowleding my one mistakes.

i think that should be discussed and changed so the filenames of the subtitles match the versions file names, if that topic was allready discussed and discarded i'm sorry for bringing it up again (still leaves the the forum shoul be part of the normal site and make it possible to use ones addic7ed acc to post in it topic... but thats only annoying once, unlike the filename thing...)

• Like 1

The Cleveland Show - 04x11 - Brownsized.LOL.English.C.orig.Addic7ed.com

The file name is a two part name: the red one is the name of show/episode, the second one is added by system, automatically, according with language, version (HI or nonHI), corrected or not-corrected.

doc

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

you don't say... obviously that's exactly what i'm criticizing... that shouldn't be added. the filename should be the same filename the releasegroup used for their videofile! no need for language, Hi or not, and the addic7ed.com! don't see any advantage for the site and a disadvantage for the user with the current names. that was my point. (which, despite my poor english, should have been pretty clear...)

you don't say...

Is there an accent of superiority ?

• Like 1

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Donjamos,

It's like asking to remove 720p, LOL, ASAP, etc. on video files acquired who knows where.

Different tags for different versions for two different worlds with the same purpose.

There are people who have non-HI subs for themselves but HI ones for their deaf relatives, or others' parents whose english is far from perfect, thus the need of two different languages, or wait, let's go wild: portuguese immigrants in NY who are deaf and who don't master english as well as their son who has perfect ears and who was born in the USA, and they all live under the same roof! By the way, do you know how an uncorrected sub looks like? Like this. With multiple versions of a sub in your computer, this system happens to be far from being useless. You might say that all this can be verified and chosen when downloading those subs without having to put it on the filename but your narrowed logic could very well be applied to video filenames too. There are many other uses with this labeling for users, but also for the many volunteer translators and correctors who have to organize their workflow in this unique website which provides an open collaborative platform.

And also, Copernicus discovered that the sun didn't revolve around you.

• Like 3

Donjamos, you can always change the filename to one of your liking.
Especially since "scene style", even though quite common, is not the only naming format available.

It's not the years in the life, but the life in the years dQVXh.gif

LOL

Man, I can't believe that people complain about filenames when it takes 10 seconds or less to rename it.

If you want to watch 3 episodes in a row, then rename all 3 sub files before you start.

Then you won't "have to get up every 20-40 minutes only to add the next subtitle".

It must be tough when you need to visit the bathroom, mate.

Unless...  nah, you wouldn't do that.

... would you?

:blink:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

if you start the filename with "The.Cleveland.Show.S04E11.HDTV.x264-LOL" and then put whatever you like to at the end like "The.Cleveland.Show.S04E11.HDTV.x264-LOL.English.C.orig.Addic7ed.com" then some programs like mlc player or gom player will add them automatically no matter what you put at the end, this doesnt work with the vlc player afaik, but at least it would give you a way to work around changing the filename.

i personally dont understand why you all being so harsh to him, the little things will keep people visiting the site which add to possible ad revenues and keep interest in people providing/making english subtitles even if they lose interest in their hobby at some time.