Showing The Location Of Posters

spyderspyder

Hi, all.

On many boards that I have subscribed to, the location/country of the registered poster is shown in their profile and signature, or, more often, in the side info. panel of the post, where it shows, "Member, Group:, Posts, Joined:" etc. (On at least two sites that I frequent, hiding one's location isn't even an option, and the site attaches the information to a member's profile, based on the i.p. address.)

I have found this to be very useful: knowing that someone is in The Netherlands, for example, tells me that they probably have a pretty good command of English, whereas if they hail from Upper Vlinkistan, I should type with care and consideration, using straightforward syntax - and avoid English idoms - no matter how good the language of their first posting.

Also knowing where someone is from makes it less likely that I might make a faux pas of a non-PC/nationalistic nature. (Speaking as someone who has never developed the habit of using smileys, and forget, sometimes, that the reader of a post cannot see my face.)

It is also, somehow, nice to know where someone is that you are "talking" to - it adds some colour, familiarity... It's friendly!

And a blank "Location" option in one's profile does not protect one's anonymity - i.p. addresses are routinely logged by pretty well every site you visit, and one's location can be approximated with ease.

(Yes, I know - with proxy servers and more proxy routings, and all sorts of discombobulating diversions, one can become almost invisible, but who bothers to do this? I bet that no-one on this site does!)

And in any case, most members will say where they live somewhere in their posts.

So, my suggestion is that this site should show a member's location, by default, and that the blank "Location" option in a member's profile be disabled.

Discuss...

s.

• Like 1

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.

Personally, I think I was very precise in specifying my location. biggrin.gif

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

spyderspyder got a job at google.. feeling the gaps on the people that Windows Mobile phones cannot track.. i get it, i get it.

Sure, i got it. Will do it. I like the friendly thing you mentioned. Never thought about it this way.
As i said, quality feedback as always.

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have made the profile field to appear on registration page.

Users that set the Location in their Profile or during registration will have Location below their avatar when posting.

I could whoever make it mandatory but it might annoy someone...

*thinking about it*

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

Hmmm...

I thought that users locations, set in their Profiles, always show in posting, whereas shy violets that leave it blank show nothing.

s.

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.