Subtitle Workshop and Widows 10 issues

thenco

Today, W10 got angry and wont run Subtitle Workshop latest version.  Uninstalled existing, downloaded and reinstalled - still getting error "Windows Subtitle has stopped working: - M$ immediately say windows will tell me if there is a solution but that's not true - no communications on screen

Has anyone else had this issue please.  I use 64 bit Windows. - thanks

Johnno

PS so then I tried to install subtitle edit - that installed but when I loaded a .srt file it played the same error messages - I am stumped and would appreciate some tips please?

subtitle-wprkshop-error.png

Try to run it in compatible mode. Right click on SubtitleWorkshop.exe => Properties => tab Compatibility => Tick Run this Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of previous versions of Windows.

• Like 1

This might be a solution. Written by somebody on our forum. Please do not ask me for support:

Solution for Crashing Subtitle Editors after the latest Windows 10 update (KB4013429)

The crash seem to point to CompPkgSup.dll.

This Windows update contains a new version of the file CompPkgSup.dll which has a bug that can cause applications to crash. It only happens when an application uses the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (msmpeg2vdec.dll) on systems where MPEG-2 is activated in that decoder. That is either when you installed the DVD Player app from Microsoft, or if you upgraded from Windows 7.

Solution #1:
Windows Settings app > Update & Security > Update History > Uninstall updates > Uninstall KB4013429

Users that uninstall the problem update may need a tool from Windows to prevent it from automatically updating again:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windows-10
Solution #2:
Remove the DVD Player app

Solution #3 (for MPC-HC only):
MPC-HC options > External Filters > Add Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and set it as blocked

Solution #4:
Codec Tweak Tool > MS Codec Tweaks > Disable Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
(Note: this may break video playback in certain apps, read the help for more details)

Solution #5:
Download CompPkgSup Fixer (528 KB). This is a little tool that replaces CompPkgSup.dll with an older version of the DLL that doesn't cause crashes.

• Like 1

thank you very much for you assistance - will apply all and report back - addic7ed.com is the best site on the net  :)

A good result

I tried number 5 and I am alive and a very happy poster :)