Hello and a question

kidneyboy814

Hi there, pretty new to the forum, but I've been a user of Addic7ed for a while now.  I'm hearing impaired, so I always use subtitles. 

I'm just getting into editing and creating subtitles, and I have a question about uploading to Addic7ed.  I ripped captions to .srt files. I used UTF-8 encoding.  Then, using Subtitle Edit, I proceeded to change the casing, spell-checked, and then used the default options with the "Fix Common Errors" tool.  My question is: are there checkers/correctors who need to look over the subs before I post them to the site?  I think everything looks good, but looking at the Style Guide at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1M3a-nv5aDu_0mEERydFK9kotVFlMRfHJzRyFY_iDBG0/edit I'm not sure I have the dialog hashes the way they need to be.

I can upload the subs to dropbox or somewhere if I need to, if someone is supposed to look them over first.  If they need to be encoded with a different charset, I can do them all over if I have to.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome here, @kidneyboy814.

You don't need the team's approval to upload subs (new versions and non-Team Only shows) but if it makes you feel more secure I could have a look.

Send them to me via PM here if you want to.

UTF-8 encoding is the right one, and you did all the other steps necessary.

Dialogue dashes need te be added when two characters speak in a same sequence only:

No dashes for a single line.

Of course the sync would also need to be accurate.

Thanks for your reply, kinglouisxx.  I'm going back over them right now for the dialog dashes.  Not too many instances so far, but a few.  As far as syncing, I'm using the timing taken from the closed captioning; as far as I can tell, it looks right on. 

• Like 2