The Sync of Subtitles

CrazyInWeston

I watch many shows where it says "Synced by xxx of Addic7ed.com" (Where xxx is the users name that did the syncing.)

Now the problem is, it isnt that the subs actually get less synced further and further into the programme, cos I can live with this, just hammer that subtitle delay button, or correctly timed subtitles but slightly out of sync so its corrected by half a second and so its doable (but you do need to address this as there are plenty of "synced" for so and so but it isnt despite me having that so and so same video.)

I've just literally signed up because I have by far... Come across the worst "Timing" of a subtitle file from Addic7ted.com that its a joke. "Synced by x" (I wont name names here unless you want me to by PM) "by Addic7ed.com"

Problem? First 20 mins were fine by a subtitle delay of 0.6 seconds with no adjustment, then it got worse... had to keep pressing the delay button till the subtitles were almost 1 minute delayed... and then all of a sudden, those subtitles started getting earlier VERY quickly, and then for the last 5 mins of the show it were constant again with no adjustment needed!

Now I understand sometimes why subtitles get later and later on some shows because of PAL vs NTSC and I can live with that. But what I've just described is no excuse.

Hi, @CrazyInWeston! And welcome to SubTalk!

You give me the impression that you are unaware how syncing works. When someone (from Addic7ed or otherwise) syncs the subs for a video, they do it for that particular video version only, which has a very specific duration and a very specific frame rate. Videos with a different running time or a different frame rate will not be synced with those subs. That's why we always name the video version we have synced the subtitles to. And we often mention the duration of the video, so that people know which other video releases those subs are compatible with. You can't expect one sub file to fit all available videos because they are ripped from different sources; some are ripped from the TV (labeled HDTV), some are ripped from the On Demand service of the network (labeled WEB, WEB-DL or WEBRip), some are ripped from Amazon Prime Video (labeled AMZN WEB-DL or AMZN WEBRip), etc. Anyway, you should pay attention to the name of the version. Many Addic7ed syncers and many Addic7ed members often comment on the duration of the video version and the other video releases the subs are compatible with. Pay attention to those comments because they are important.

If you got the subs for a particular episode from Addic7ed and they proved to be out of sync with your video, it's because you have the wrong video.

I hope I made some things clear to you.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 8:23 AM, Costa Dax said:

Hi, @CrazyInWeston! And welcome to SubTalk!

If you got the subs for a particular episode from Addic7ed and they proved to be out of sync with your video, it's because you have the wrong video.

And you didnt clearly read my post. And thank you for the Welcome. :)

I said it was constantly correct for the first 20 mins, then became really late, then really early. Thats not a wrong video/subtitle file, that's a terribly synced subtitle file.

I very well know the limits of a 24FPS vs a 30FPS synced file on the opposite synced formatted show and I said I can get by that as it was consistent.

Edited by CrazyInWeston

Hi, please give us precise examples, because I personally watch around 50 different shows a year, and unless it's a real sync problem (or I grabbed the wrong video), there's no issue right after 20 minutes on a regular basis. Cheers.

--

Got questions? Read our FAQ. Wanna support me? Check my Tipee.

@CrazyInWeston, I read your post very carefully. The fact that the video went out of sync after 20 minutes is a clear indication that you matched the wrong video with the wrong subs.

As @chamallow said, you should state which particular subs you're talking about, otherwise we're talking in vain.

23 hours ago, chamallow said:

Hi, please give us precise examples, because I personally watch around 50 different shows a year, and unless it's a real sync problem (or I grabbed the wrong video), there's no issue right after 20 minutes on a regular basis. Cheers.

The Magicians video file: Series 1 Episode 5 23.95FPS by Phun Phys.

Subtitle by NinH.

If I had the 24 vs 30 wrong then the delay would be constant. Not adjustedly correct for 20 mins and then wrong to the point of 1 min behind, but then get earlier and earlier till 5 mins before the end of file. I understand in movies that there are some with extended scenes etc which could account for wrong doings but this a TV programme.

Hey, @CrazyInWeston!

The Phun Phys video for that episode is a re-encode of ROVERS which is a Blu-ray rip. Of course it will not work with any of ninh's subs for that episode because ninh only did subs for the FLEET and AVS versions for that episode, both of which are HDTV rips. Take a look at which are our official versions on our site:

https://www.addic7ed.com/serie/The_Magicians_(2015)/1/5/Mendings%2C_Major_and_Minor

There are 2 versions by ninh (FLEET and AVS) and one by @kinglouisxx (WEB-DL), none of which will work with any Blu-ray rip like ROVERS or Phun Phys.

The subs that will work with the Phun Phys video are the ones uploaded by @mstoll labeled BluRay.x264-DEMAND-ROVERS.

If I understand correctly you did not visit our site to download any of our subs from there. You probably found the subs embedded in the Phun Phys video or you found them somewhere else. We are not responsible for sub files that are embedded in videos, even if they bear our credits because we did not embed them there in the first place. Nor do we encourage people to embed our subs in their videos. We are also not responsible for subs that you find on other sites such as OpenSubtitles or Subscene even if they come from our site. The only subtitles we are responsible for are the ones we make and are found on Addic7ed.

Like I said from the beginning: you were using the wrong video with the wrong subs. Neither ninh nor Addic7ed is responsible for that.

Now you know which subs you should use for your video. Next time please use our official subtitles from our site.

• Like 2

You're welcome! :)

Get your subtitles directly from Addic7ed. As I said above, our syncers and regular members often comment on which video versions are compatible with each other, so you know which subtitles you should use. A strong indication is the duration of the video. If there are many subs on the episode's page and you are unsure which ones you should use, you have two options: a) try them all (you have nothing to lose), or b) leave a comment asking which subs work with your video (you should name the video version of course). These type of questions are common and someone always answers. I hope I helped!

• Like 1