Browsers

DrJackson

Firefox..., Opera..., Chrome...,
Why you guys don't use IE? :D

What is cool is that addic7ed is FREE, meaning they do not expect anything from other but just a bit of gratitude from those who download needed subtitles.

To say, WOW, look there, what THAT, or THAT said about, without thinking, well..., I'm a little dissapointed.
Not to mention that this post has already over 1600 views.
Hmmm...

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

because IE has lots of problems (when rendering CSS mostly), lacks plugins (check the plugins in firefox.. tons of them!) has security problems and overall it's not worth it (when there are such great alternatives.
Why don't you use Windows Media Player? :P

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

Sorry alex, but plugings for what?
I understand other browsers for LINUX use, well, nevermind.
I'm a Bill's fan! :D

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Because my favoured IE6 has been ditched, but...

FFx is infinitely customisable, and with the right plug-ins and hacks, I can make FFx look and act just like IE6.
I'm a happy little Luddite dinosaur!

"...plugins for what?"
For whatever your heart desires:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:7

s.

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.

My favourite happy little Luddite dinosaur,:)

I use IE no.8 :D and I made them some settings: to delete ALL related to last vist on Web on exit, to not allow third party cookies, to not allow pop ups and so on, and I'm a happy and safe Web surf user.
I use also an antikeylogger and I delete from 3 to 3 days all its rules, just to set them again and again (it is on learning mode), to be sure that I don't miss anything.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Sorry alex, but plugings for what?
I understand other browsers for LINUX use, well, nevermind.
I'm a Bill's fan! :D

doc.

hmm let's see... among the plugins i have:

1. Screengrab: makes a screenshot of the entire page (or just a portion) you're currently viewing. Useful if you want to send to a friend and you're too lazy to PrintScreen + Paint
2. NoScript: Blocks every script possible on a website (reduces the risk of getting infected when browsing online). If you have a trusted website, you can allow running scripts on that page (addic7ed, sub-talk, google etc)
3. ReadItLater: If you visited an article or page and you want to READ IT LATER you can click a small icon and it will be saved in a special place. it's like bookmarking only better.. since you can sync your "readitlater" pages between computers.
4. TabMix Plus: gives me additional features for tabs: Close Similar tabs, Close Left tabs (closes all tabs on the left of the current tab), Close Right tabs, Lock tab, etc
5. Reload Every: Auto Reloads a page (you set the timer -1s, 1h etc)

And there's more: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ :P

BUT YEAH, Addic7ed is clean now! (so says Google)
Glad it's fixed!

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.

hmm let's see... among the plugins i have:
[...]

1. I recomend Quick Screen Capture, a free tool for what it say it's name. Very easy to use.
2. Same feature it is also on IE.
3. "Mouse right click" and "Add to favorites", works for me. :D
4. How many tabs are you opening once? :D
5. "Mouse right click" and "Refresh", without moving mouse pointer.:D
:D
Well, this discussion is like
"Who is better?":

Manchester United or Manchester City...
Bayern Munchen or WBF Stutgard...
OL or OM (who can guess that one?)...
Steaua or Dinamo...:D

cheers,

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

What plug-ins?

Firefox plug-ins (Add-ons) that I use include:

Tab Killer
Disables tabbed browsing features of Firefox completely.

Click&Clean
Delete/clean: browsing history, download history, cookies, cache, temporary files, Flash Local Shared Objects (LSO), private data, (when Firefox closes), close all windows/tabs... Including secure file deletion, using external applications like CCleaner, Wise Disk Cleaner etc. (on Windows) or Janitor, BleachBit etc. (on Linux)

Flashblock
Blocks ALL Flash content from loading. It then leaves placeholders on the webpage that allow you to click to view the Flash content.

GreaseMonkey
Allows you to customize the way a webpage displays using small bits of JavaScript.
All sorts of scripts available (e.g., "Hide Google sidebar) or write your own.

Adblock Plus (superceded by NoScript)

NoScript
Allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice.

Autoclose Bookmarks & History folders
Open Bookmark and History folders automatically close when opening a new one - just like IE!

Basic Bookmarks
Hides 'Bookmark Menu' and 'Bookmark Toolbar' from the bookmark sidebar, allows you to arrange your bookmark structure however you like (like in FF2), and frees space in the sidebar.

Annihilytics
Blocks web analytics data submission, currently limited to blocking the www.google-analytics.com and ssl.google-analytics.com domains used by the Google Analytics web analytics service.

Firefoxp
A IE6/XP theme to make FFx look like IE6.

Firefox Preloader
Makes FFx load very fast from start.

Firefox Tweaks (edits to userChrome.css):
- Resize the sidebar: makes sidebar 'sizeable'. (Like IE)
- Resize the sidebar Font
- Various tweaks to speed up performance of FFx

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

What plug-ins?
[...]

Well, almost all of that you say above are also in IE settings options, or, like I did, you can just custom IE options (indeed, that requires a little higher knowlege level- and I don't want to say "Look how smart I am" :D ).
But, as I said , that can be a neverending discussion.:D
But a nice one.

Quiz:"What it was first - the chiken or the egg"? :D:P

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

"almost all of that you say above are also in IE"

But only almost.

And in IE8.

I don't like IE8.

Now I have far better than IE8 - and what I have is more like IE than IE8 is, by a long chalk!

(Hmmm... I think that makes sense.)

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif

[...]
Now I have far better than IE8 - and what I have is more like IE than IE8 is, by a long chalk!
[...]

Let me see if I well understand.

You use FFx, a tweaked, many plug -ins added FFx, but your wish is to have something like the good one IE 6?

OH GOD!

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

"Let me see if I well understand... "
"You use FFx... tweaked... many plug -ins... your wish is to have something like... IE6?"

Not quite...

The short, truthful answer is, "Why should I have to accept cosmetic and usability changes occasioned merely by the desire to woo (or even manipulate) the market, when I am happy with the way things are?"

My favourite OS was Win98, but XP is superior - stable and useable - and so ousted Win98. XP does everything that I want, in ways that I like.

Many, if not most, of the obvious innovations introduced with XP (that have immediate impact on the user) were trivial, resource-hungry (and vulnerable) visual gimmicks. Vista and Win7 took this even further. It is just market-engineering - sort of like, "Last year, fins! - Next year, no fins!" in the motor car industry.

But, in the car industry, the steering wheel is largely still circular, and the accellerator pedal remains under the right foot...

All of the comments on XP/Vista/Win7 apply to browsers.

My favourite browser was IE, up to and including IE 6.
IE.8 is better, in some ways, but is very different from IE.6 in ways that immediately affect the user: it looks different, and it 'feels' different. If IE 6 looked and behaved like IE 6, I'd be using it.

(A Google for IE.6 will show that most of the objections to IE.6 arise from its inability to display/render the latest visual distractions required by the current browsing "experience" (??? Yikes!) and are posted by webmasters complaining about having to cater for IE6.)

Firefox is better than IE.8 in many ways, not least in that it can be customised more easily and readily than most others, while still being compatible with the new "browsing experience" (for those who like all the whistles and bells).

Some of those customisations give me the features that I liked in IE that are not included in the 'default' Firefox configuration, especially things like "Autoclose Bookmarks & History folders", "Basic Bookmarks", and "Resize the sidebar".

So I get the best of both worlds.

s.

United%20Kingdom.gif