Cold Case Season 4 'better quality' English subs.

Lovejoy

Hi all. First posting here.

I'm currently watching Cold Case Season 4 and have gone through the first two episodes. The subtitles for the first three seasons were mostly of decent/good quality and they had the lyrics at the end of the episodes included. The only subtitles I have found for this season are pretty dismal. Completely mangled capitalisation, no spaces after commas, no end-of-episode lyrics, many MANY instances of missing spaces between words.

I can't imagine the original transcripts being in such a bad state and suppose somewhere along the line someone did all this damage to the subs. Unfortunately I find the same versions on the other sites I've tried. I have taken the trouble to 'restore' the subs of the first two episodes including the missing '**********' bits (I think I got them all) but that was quite a bit of work and although I don't mind fixing/adding one or two dozen things or so, when it becomes 100-200 it just isn't funny anymore. Even if you start by using Word's spell-checker to fix the joined words and fix the missing spaces with proper use of the search and replace function in Subtitle Workshop I usually use.

So I was hoping someone would know a source for better quality (English) subs for this fourth season. Thanks in advance.

An few other unrelated questions.

Why is the Addic7ed forum on a separate domain and does it have a separate name? Did it exist before Addic7ed was 'born' perhaps and is run by the same people? Or is it completely separate? I noticed my registration from A7 not being known here. I had to register again.

And it seems there are no 'Subpacks' for a complete season or all seasons on Addic7ed. Am I right? I haven't seen them so far. The multiple download option is not quite the same I think. Wouldn't subpacks, only of thoroughly checked and good quality subs of course, be a useful addition to the site's offerings?

Greetoids.

Lovejoy

Hello.

A better source for season 4 subs.. I don't know, but I could recommend Subtitle Edit that has a very good spell checker, an option to fix common errors and even capitalization of the most common names. It may come in handy. I always use this one to correct the subs I upload.

About the forum... Addic7ed had a forum before this, but this one was meant as a forum for all subtitle sites, idea not so well fulfilled as we'd have wanted. So after a while we moved Addic7ed's forum here. It has a completely different database, so the users on Addic7ed are not recognized here.

We can only answer for the seasons that we synced and corrected. It's a lot of work to deal with the current seasons, maybe one day, when the team grows we can start correcting old seasons. Until then, the multi download should do.

bunnyblog.png

facebook.png

• 1 month later...

hi, check http://www.seriessub.com/sous-titres/cold_case/saison_4/

the english subs are marked with vo at the end of names. Overall good site and has quality subs

Hi, Lovejoy.

Welcome to Sub-Talk. Does the name "Loevejoy" suggest that you are fan of the series?
I'm just now enjoying a re-watch of the complete series - no subs of course, but in the good old days, actors spoke their lines clearly, and not behind a fore-ground of heavy rock music!

Back in the bad old days of subs, however (less than 2 years ago, that is) I had a twice daily popup on my desk top, with a list of subs that I needed; it was not unusual for the list to contain five or six episodes, with daily additions.

When it popped up, and if I had the time, I would then trawl through half a dozen or more subtitle sites, looking for them. Typically, 3 days was the time it took for them to become available - but for many, it was closer to a week.

I would then check every subtitle, not only spelling and punctuation, but adjusting the sync in parts at least.
(For subs that were not too badly sync'd, but varying, +/- throughout the file, I learned a trick of stretching subs - adding 0.3 secs. to start and finish of all lines to get a rough resync by shotgun effect).

I also knew that the very best subs at that time would be on SeriesSub - if I was prepared to wait. And there's the rub: the subs on the link in the last post were uploaded 3 months later than the ones you are referring to, which probably came out about 3 or 4 days after the airing date of the episode - and almost certainly formed the basis of any "higher quality" subs that followed.

"I can't imagine the original transcripts being in such a bad state..."
Those are the original transcripts.

"somewhere along the line someone did all this subs"
Nope - it is more likely that someone (for whom English was almost certainly a second language) painstakingly typed out each and every word, as it was spoken. (Have a look at the originating site: My link )

I'm not getting at you, by the way; indeed, this is as much a self-indulgent reminiscence as anything - these days I'm as spoiled as anyone by the speed of release and the quality of subs that the Addic7ed teams have brought about.

Here's a thought - all those corrections you have made: how about posting them up on Addic7ed?

Cheers,
s.

Important links: Forum Help.

United%20Kingdom.gif

Never look before you leap, it'll spoil the surprise.