The Luminaries (2020) subtitles

RowanEleven

Hi all, can anyone help me in my search for subtitles for this show: The Luminaries (2020). Ep 1 & 2 have been done, but 4-6 are still missing. No idea why...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

That could be the case, but I've got the whole season, that's episodes 1-6 already. Maybe a pre-release. So I guess we'll just have to wait. I considered getting them done online. There is a site, that will produce subtitles for uploaded files, but it is quite expensive for such long episodes, that one will probably only watch one time. I've used their services before. They are quite good. But like I said, it's only worth while if you really want to watch something again - or if you have problems with your hearing or understanding a particular dialect. 

Hi, RowanEleven!

The episodes of "The Luminaries" have been airing weekly in New Zealand every Sunday on TVZN 1 from May 17 to June 21, 2020. So far, only three episodes have aired. That's why there are HDTV releases for only those three episodes.

But all six episodes were released on TVNZ OnDemand on May 17. That's why there are already WEB releases available for all episodes.

The subs that become available are ripped weekly after the linear airing of the episodes on TV. That's why subs for only the first three episodes are available so far.

Each week, subs for the latest episode will become available, so you will have to wait a bit to get subs for all episodes.

I hope I answered your questions! :)

@forgetit: Thanks a lot for the subs! :) By the way, I skimmed through them and they seem OK.

• Like 2

Hey, forgetit! I haven't watched the episode yet but I'm sure you're right. There may be some inconsistencies between the spoken words and the transcript. This doesn't mean that the subs are machine-translated. This has to do with the standards each country has set for professional subtitles. In the United States and Canada, the transcript of the English subtitles attempts to follow the spoken dialogues word for word to the greatest possible degree. So, the inconsistencies to what is spoken/heard to what is written/read are kept to a minimal. In other countries, a different set of standards applies. In the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, the transcript is allowed to get more creative. Interjections and repeated words are often omitted. Long sentences are shortened. Phrases are replaced by one-word equivalents. The idea is to deliver the same meaning with as less text as possible. This is a common practice but not a rule. There are subtitling companies even in those countries which employ the word-for-word practice. The subs for "The Luminaries" come from New Zealand. That's why you may encounter a few inconsistencies. :)

• Like 1

An update: I watched the first three minutes and it seems that forgetit may be right after all. The subs may be machine-translated. However, as forgetit says, they are usable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...