Subtitle Edit (open source subtitle editor)

Nikse

What do you mean? Move line, move all lines to the left/right or what?

Hi,

In my case, I guess pictures speak better than words. :D

wsus0g.jpg

I hope you can understand now what I was trying to say.
But that it is a further quiz. :)

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

Hi doc!

You worked with VSS?

No...

I hope you can understand now what I was trying to say.
But that it is a further quiz. :)

I rarely understands what anybody says! :blink:
EDIT: But now it's possible to move a 'paragraph' left/right... perhaps that's what you meant - perhaps not.

Well, new test version uploaded: http://www.nikse.dk/se/SETest.rar

Screen shots:
SEWF1.png
SEWF2.png

Can anybody get the wave form displayed (besides me)?

Can anybody get the wave form displayed (besides me)?

Yes, I can now, I didn't have installed VLC 1.1+ (just 1.0.6 or so)

Great work so far, now, when you add the rest of the controls (zoom, etc)
and a proper display of both video and waveform... just perfect :)

Hi Kerensky!

Yes, I can now, I didn't have installed VLC 1.1+ (just 1.0.6 or so)

Good to hear :)

Great work so far, now, when you add the rest of the controls (zoom, etc)
and a proper display of both video and waveform... just perfect :)

Thx, what controls are missing - besides zoom?

Waveform controls/usage:
- single click=toogles play
- double click on existing subtitle=select clicked subtitle
- Mark area + right click on marked area=prompt for add new paragraph
- left/right border of subtitles can be dragged (adjusting start or end time)
- subtitles can be moved (adjusting both start and end time - but not duration)
- right click can either add new subtitle or perform delete/split/merge on existing subtitle line
- alt+arrow left/right moves video position

[...]
But now it's possible to move a 'paragraph' left/right... perhaps that's what you meant - perhaps not.
[...]

Hi,

Yes, that it was what I want to say.
It is good to have someone who can understand me. :D

Thanks.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Hi again,

After a short look :D :

33otuyv.jpg

Ok, that one with creepy characters I noticed some time ago, but you was concentrated on other changes.

Playback rate I think it is usefull when you have to create some sub lines and you must listen what they said. Not in all cases, English accent is like in school.

On wave form, it could be possible to select entire line (like in picture above) and move it as a whole? Right now, we can make changes only on start/stop pozition.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Ok, that one with creepy characters I noticed some time ago, but you was concentrated on other changes.

OK, in latest version is a combobox - where you can either type or choose a couple of creepy characters (can be hard to find on the keyboard - alt+13 is music symbol on my computer)

Playback rate I think it is usefull when you have to create some sub lines and you must listen what they said. Not in all cases, English accent is like in school.

I'm not sure if it will help hearing what ppl say...

On wave form, it could be possible to select entire line (like in picture above) and move it as a whole?

Yes... should do so. Perhaps you have an older version ;)

EDIT: Wave form keys in latest verison: +/- = zoom in/out, z/x = scroll wave form left/right - http://www.nikse.dk/se/SETest.rar

Nik, since you're using both mouse buttons... can you set some hotkeys? for:

- Set start of the current line where the mouse pointer is.
- Set end of the current line where the mouse pointer is.
- Save changes and jump to the next line.
- Save changes and play selection (without jumping to the next line).
- if you can bind "mouse-back" and "mouse-forward" buttons with "jump to the previous/next line".... would be amazing ;)

Some mouses have a horizontal scroll in the wheel, so, if you somehow can "put" a horizontal scroll bar in the waveform... helps a lot.
(maybe if you don't put the scroll bar but capture the events... or maybe just place a scroll bar and set Visible = false)

Edit: Also a reference lines, would be good too, X: one every 0.5sec (bigger each 1 sec); Y: central + one every 20% of max amplitude.
And, now than I'm writing the letter to Santa ;), colors to differentiate the end of a line and the start of the next one.

Thx for the huge work :)

You can replace that symbol in the box with whatever weird characters your sub has :)

I was doing that, but it doesn't worked.

Nikse said :) : Yes... should do so. Perhaps you have an older version

Well, if older version means that version posted today, 01:05 AM, then perhapes that it is. :)
Anyway, I'll try the new one.

Once again, thanks for your work.

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Hey Kerensky, here's the latest keyboard/mouse galore for controlling the waveform control:
- Mouse single click: Toggle play
- Mouse double click on existing subtitle: Select clicked subtitle
- Mark area + right click on marked area: Prompt for add new paragraph / play current selection
- Mouse drag left/right border of subtitles (adjusting start or end time)
- Move/drag on middle of subtitle (adjusting both start and end time - but not duration)
- Mouse right click can either add new subtitle or perform delete/split/merge on existing subtitle line
- Mouse wheel scrolls waveform forward/back
- alt+arrow left/right moves video position
- alt+arrow up/down goes previous/next subtitle
- Numeric +/- will zoom in/out
- Mouse single click+Shift will set start for selected line (not moving end time)
- Mouse single click+Ctrl will set end for selected line (not moving start time)
- Mouse single click+Alt will set start for selected line (and keep duration)

Edit: Also added "reference lines"... well, perhaps just a grid - but it looks cool B)

Well, if older version means that version posted today, 01:05 AM, then perhapes that it is. :)
Anyway, I'll try the new one.

Hm, the *new* one is here: http://www.nikse.dk/se/SETest.rar ;)

Hi there,

Still I have a problem with musical signs.:rolleyes:

On Tools we have Remove text for hearing impared option with so many other options within.
On THAT sub-option it is good to be that combobox from where I can choose what musical sign (or creepy :D ) I want to be removed !
And still, even if remove text between musical signs is checked, it don't do anything, I had to manually remove all un-needed lines.

A carping
doc. :D

Later edit: Could be an encoding problem? On main SE window it is shown UTF-8.
Also, I noticed that despite this encoding, subs that I've uploaded on addic7ed, show other characters and no that ones that was in the original file.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

Also, I noticed that despite this encoding, subs that I've uploaded on addic7ed, show other characters and no that ones that was in the original file.

That's an encoding issue on Addic7ed... dny is currently working to solve that.

Doc, is that you? Or a traitor in our midst!?
Ah, a new picture :)

Still I have a problem with musical signs.:rolleyes:

On Tools we have Remove text for hearing impared option with so many other options within.
On THAT sub-option it is good to be that combobox from where I can choose what musical sign (or creepy :D ) I want to be removed !
And still, even if remove text between musical signs is checked, it don't do anything, I had to manually remove all un-needed lines.

I like those utf-8 music characters - not creepy at all, except on my old xp box ;)
Could it be that the current options remove text BETWEEN characters - and not just lines containing creepy characters!?
I've added such an option in latest beta: http://www.nikse.dk/se/SEBeta.rar

Later edit: Could be an encoding problem? On main SE window it is shown UTF-8.

Does not sound good - perhaps dny238 knows something...

EDIT: He, Kerensky was here first :)

That's an encoding issue on Addic7ed... dny is currently working to solve that.

Well, thank you, it's good to know that!

Don't you like it? :D

I like those utf-8 music characters - not creepy at all, except on my old xp box ;)
Could it be that the current options remove text BETWEEN characters - and not just lines containing creepy characters!?
[...]

Yes, is that option, my mistake.

I will check latest version, thank you for your feed-back.
And for your work.

doc. (with a new picture ! :D )

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

I've added such an option in latest beta: http://www.nikse.dk/se/SEBeta.rar

Does not sound good - perhaps dny238 knows something...

EDIT: He, Kerensky was here first :)

I put some time into altering the code which downloads original (not most recently updated yet, sorry) subs from the site. Trying to make it smarter about the encoding to use.
If you are somewhat saavy you can help me test (this test page may change at any time)

In order to help me, go to a sub which is downloading extra characters you didn't expect...
Go to the download original link, but instead of clicking 'Download', make note of the two numbers at the end of the URL it represents; usually it's like 34567/0.
Put them into this url http://www.addic7ed.com/downloadoriginal.dny.php?id=34567&fversion=0 and hit enter.

That should cause your machine to download the subtitle.
Let me know if it's any better. This page attempts to give you back a file in the format it was received. IE if you uploaded UTF8 you should get UTF8 if you upload ASCII, you should get back ASCII. Right now the normal page for the site almost always gives back UTF8.

Thanks,
D

Don't you like it? :D

I like it - I was a huge fan of SG-1 :)
EDIT: Although, he looks a bit clueless in your profile pic ;)

In order to help me, go to a sub which is downloading extra characters you didn't expect...
Go to the download original link, but instead of clicking 'Download', make note of the two numbers at the end of the URL it represents; usually it's like 34567/0.
Put them into this url http://www.addic7ed.com/downloadoriginal.dny.php?id=34567&fversion=0 and hit enter.

Swedish/ansi and UTF-8 work well (I personally think everybody should use UTF-8. Even works on WinXP with a unicode font - but I admit some programs will have problems)

Subtitle Edit 3.0 Beta 1 is right here: http://www.nikse.dk/se/SEBeta.rar

[...]
Subtitle Edit 3.0 Beta 1 is right here: http://www.nikse.dk/se/SEBeta.rar

Could be such an option like "Empty wave forms folder"?

Thank you,

doc.

P.S. Well, SG seems to create links between people all over the world. :)

doc.

103iruh.gif

IMPORTANT LINK:

I put some time into altering the code which downloads original (not most recently updated yet, sorry) subs from the site. Trying to make it smarter about the encoding to use.
If you are somewhat saavy you can help me test (this test page may change at any time)

That should cause your machine to download the subtitle.
Let me know if it's any better. This page attempts to give you back a file in the format it was received. IE if you uploaded UTF8 you should get UTF8 if you upload ASCII, you should get back ASCII. Right now the normal page for the site almost always gives back UTF8.

Thanks,
D

This code is now live for original downloads. Have to migrate the changes to 'updated' subs next.
Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Version 3.0 will be ready soon - thx for all the input, testing and help :)

SE with installer: http://www.nikse.dk/se/SE30RC1Setup.zip
SE rar file: http://www.nikse.dk/se/SEBeta.rar

Let me know if find any bugs etc!

Here's the change log (stuff that I can remember):
New: Wave form control with many sync/replay/creation commands
New: Translator mode (Edit -> Show original subtitle, thx dr.jackson)
New: Added Microsoft translate
New: Option to remove blank lines when opening a subtitle (thx honeybunny)
New: Can now read subtitles in the binary EBU format (thx corbin dallas)
New: Can now read/write subtitle Sony DVD Architecht format (thx Mark/Zedopipo)
New: Setting "Font name" is possible via right-click menu in list view
Improved: Layout changed - Translation helper + Create/adjust lines moved to main window
Improved: Ripping subtitles from DVD should now have correct time codes (thx JeanlDvd/DvdSubEdit + gioni666)
Improved: Ripping subtitles from DVD/Vobsub files now has a an option to only ocr "forced subtitles" (thx Rolf)
Improved: Ripping subtitles from Vobsub files now has an option to use time codes from idx file (now default)
Improved: Can now retrieve and install spell check dictionaries from the internet (thx dr.jackson for idea + Jaime Olivares for zip unpack code + thx Pierre for testing)
Improved: "Compare subtitle" color high-lighting is now more like other compare programs
Improved: Fix common erors - Fix alone lowercase 'i' to 'I' now works better close to html tags (thx Chamallow)
Improved: Updated names list (thx Chamallow)
Improved: "Google translate" window is now resizable (thx Vicente)
Improved: Bold/italic/font tags now work better in ssa/ass subtitles
Improved: Icons are now external in the "Icons" folder - you can change them easily yourself without re-compiling :)
Bugfix: Merge short lines now works with italic tags (thx honeybunny)
Bugfix: Importing subtitles from Matroska files will now correctly change current encoding to UTF-8 (thx Jonathan)
Bugfix: Numerous fixes in "Remove text for hearing impaired" (thx sialivi, eMWu, honeybunny, aMvEL)
Bugfix: Tools -> Append subtitle without syncronizing (thx Les)
Bugfix: Fixed bug in "Spell check -> Add to names/etc list" (thx dny238)</li>
Bugfix: Fixed crash in ""Auto balance selected lines" (thx Jonathan)
Bugfix: Fixed crash in "Replace all".
Bugfix: Fixed bug in "time control" (thx eMWu)