engrenages

jomag

Hi

I seek subs for Engrenages Season 8. I may be a little premature here but appreciate any subs for this brilliant show.

Thanks in advance ( and I hope I ahve this right).

Jomag

from downunder

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 10:08 PM, jomag said:

Hi

I seek subs for Engrenages Season 8. I may be a little premature here but appreciate any subs for this brilliant show.

Thanks in advance ( and I hope I ahve this right).

Jomag

from downunder

+1. I have it in French but need the English subs, a bit early for subs but worth asking. Cheer!

Season 8 of "Engrenages" is still running on Canal+ in France, and you both know that Canal+ doesn't provide English closed captions.

The English subs come from BBC Four in the UK where the show airs as "Spiral". Each season starts airing on BBC Four 2-11 months after the premiere of that season on Canal+.

BBC Four has announced that it will air series 8 of Spiral but it hasn't announced when yet. The earliest possible premiere date is November 2020 but it may as well be August 2021 or any time in between. So you will have to wait till the premiere of the season on BBC Four whenever that is.

That is not true about Engranages, subtitles for the previous series were available on the 2nd of March 2019, over 7 months before the BBC4 broadcast . At the moment there are no French subtitles. However, the blu-rays/DVDs are a couple of weeks away from release and appear to have HoH French subtitles which could form the basis of an English translation like with the last series.  The entire series 8 was released online by Studio Canal by the way, the television broadcast is week by week. So please, let us enjoy our not unreasonable hope.

• Like 1

Dear @subhuman, no one asked you to stop hoping. You may hope all you want.

I simply stated facts that were all true by the way. You were right though that the first English subs that appeared last season were not from BBC Four. But still they were available a month after the premiere of the season on Canal+. So even if the exact same thing happens again for this season, this means the earliest possible date for the release of English subs would be in October. Well, whether the earliest possible date in theory is October or November or any other time doesn't really make much difference, because in practice only when someone has the subs, they will be able to post them.

• 4 weeks later...

Good news, Spiral/Engrenages lovers.  The translations of the French subtitles has begun.  All the 8th series are available in French and episode 1 has been translated into English.  Now we can enjoy one of the best shows on the planet and let's hope the end doesn't disappoint ?

https://subscene.com/subtitles/spiral-aka-engrenages-eighth-season

• Like 2

Thanks, will keep an eye for the rest (in English) . How do you reckon before the rest are you. 

Edited by oakley8377
added a question

Who knows?  It is a big job translating subtitles and I believe there is a lot of slang to deal with too.   If there are any dialogue free episodes, it would speed things up a bit....?

• Like 1

Just tested the 1st one and it is perfect, not sure the translator needs to add 'door knocking' 'rap music in the background' etc, might save them some time.

Thanks anyway, happy to wait.

• 4 weeks later...

I just checked today and season 8, episodes 1 through 6 are done. 

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between files that end in .en and those that don't?

Example:

• Engrenages.S08E03.720p.BluRay.DD5.1.x264
  • Engrenages.S08E03.720p.BluRay.DD5.1.x264.en

Thanks!

• Like 1

I spoke to the person doing the subs and the reason there are 2 english uploads for most episodes is 

There are 2 different formats, .ass and .srt.

The translation is the same, .ass includes additional color coding and screen positioning.

Also, Plex client on FireTV does not handle .ass files correctly.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oakley8377 said:

I spoke to the person doing the subs and the reason there are 2 english uploads for most episodes is 

Brilliant! Thank you.

I didn't notice the file extension differences. I use .srt solely to avoid any issues. All I need to do now is find Season 8 in BluRay format so the subtitles will sync up properly.

The Meebster
celebrating turkey day in the USA

Since the Ian Munro English subtitles at subscene.com are not all .srt files (the first two shows are .ass files), I was going to download an .ass to .srt converter, but I found this nifty little site that performs the conversion for free, no fuss no muss.

I used https://gotranscript.com/subtitle-converter on S08E01, and so far, the resulting .srt files seem to work just fine.

All we need now are the last 4 .srt files for S07–S10 and we're done.

Thank you all for the info and help I've received here. ??

FYI

They're all here https://bit.ly/opensubsforS8, 10 season 8 episode subtitles, on Open Subtitles, posted 4 November. However, I only spent a couple of minutes and interspersed within the English are French words, non sequiturs, and some strange symbols for punctuation, at least as displayed on my Roku. So far, the Ian Munro subs on subscene.com are superior.

Just now, Meebster said:

FYI

They're all here https://bit.ly/opensubsforS8, 10 season 8 episode subtitles, on Open Subtitles, posted 4 November. However, I only spent a couple of minutes and interspersed within the English are French words, non sequiturs, and some strange symbols for punctuation, at least as displayed on my Roku. So far, the Ian Munro subs on subscene.com are superior.

I tried those subs and compared them and they are not worth watching it. Look like machine generated subs.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 6:42 AM, Meebster said:

Brilliant! Thank you.

I didn't notice the file extension differences. I use .srt solely to avoid any issues. All I need to do now is find Season 8 in BluRay format so the subtitles will sync up properly.

The Meebster
celebrating turkey day in the USA

You will do well to find a Blu Ray version as Blu Ray is the commercial release and it is only been shown on TV at present?

• Like 1