Timing Substitles

Andy-Andersen

Hi I'm Andy and I'm new - so now you know what you're dealing with :-)

I've been downloading subtitles for a while now and always been gratefull to the ones making them. I've thought about returning the favor by writing a sub myself. And then I found out that one of my favorite movies was never translated. I therefore dicided to do that one.

I want to make a .srt and my movie is a .mkv. So far I spent like 20-30 hours or so and there's stil alot to be done - so please help me.

My problem is that I have written down all talking in order of appearance from the movie. It is about #700 sentences and I have been using Subtitle Workshop 4. So far none of the sentences have been marked a time.

What I need now is to put a time on each one. If I am gonna do this manually it will take another 20-30 hours I would guess. How can this be done automatically or just in the easiest way?

I've no idea have to get this done and I've read about everything the Internet.

What do you guys do?

/ Andy

Hi Andy,

Take a look Here, it's a very helpful application made by kerensky.
It's not 100% accurate, but, as I said it is very helpful in order to get most of times that you'll need for a subtitle. Read and try, you'll spend less time than making "by hand" a good timing.

doc

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

When you are creating the subtitle in Subtitle Workshop, you can use the iPMfSLsHA2joJ.jpg buttons to set the 'start' and 'stop' timing for each subtitle entry as you go.

ieydyik27nhlu.jpg

When creating a subtitle from scratch in Subtitle Workshop, I just play the video, when a new line of dialogue comes up I pause right after it and type in the text, then I use the iDcA6VlC2jMNc.jpg buttons to move the video forward or backward about 1/2 sec with each click in combination with the 'play' button to navigate back to beginning of that line of dialogue, and then click the ifFl7JRQAJRAu.jpg button to set the start time, then click play and pause it immediately at the end of the line of dialogue, and click the ibvXZLhfOibP23.jpg button to set the stop time. Then I'll back up again and play through it to make sure it's correct and if needed adjust the timings slightly manually in the 'show' and 'hide' timing boxes at the bottom (you have to hit the 'enter' key for any changes you make there to take effect).

Then I click the 'Insert' key to open a new subtitle entry under the last one and play the video forward to the next line of dialogue and do it again.

You can also use VisualSubSync to do the same thing. Once you figure it out it's a little bit faster to do the same job, but I do still like to use Subtitle Workshop instead sometimes. I think in the case of setting the timings on a file you already have transcribed all of the lines you'd be better off to finish it by setting the timings on each line in Subtitle Workshop like I showed above, but starting from scratch to make a subtitle file VisualSubSync can get the job done a bit quicker imho. The same may well be true about 'Subtitle Edit' also, but I just haven't gotten around to kicking the tires on it yet.

Hope this was helpful.