Subtitles Stopped

honeybunny

>Another thing, that people here in germany<br />love to do, is to compare apples and oranges.
And others love to generalize the population of a whole country while standing on their soapbox while thrashing around empty phrases. So what?

take a look at their site and you'll see how it can affect them... how many files released since HoneyBunny stop releasing hers ? ... yes! you've got your answers ! tongue.gif

Well I see they have english subs for all the yesterday's shows (at least the ones I'm watching).
And?
It doesn't matter wether their subs are good or bad. Point is they are going on as usual. And when addic7ed or any other site starts making better subs they will most likely continue with copy/pasting them and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about that. Destroying oneself just to destroy someone else in the process is just stupid.
This is the internet and life is not fair. People will continue to steal subs and there is no point in trying to stop them since it can't be done.
You can work on being the best and know that the people will come to you for subs because you are the best (not because you are the only one).

This is madness.

I have been loyal follower of addicted for a long time.

I find myself trolling the web for subtitles for yesterdays shows and later for todays shows. I got alot of yesterdays on tvsubtitles.net. You guys are not helping yourselfs keep your community together. Its all rather silly now! I am sorry that i am hard of hearing and cant afford to watch shows without subtitles. i have greatest respect for you all but its a giant Ego problem now.

I hope you guys come back as you are the best. I plead with you to have some common sense!

• Like 1

This is the internet and life is not fair. People will continue to steal subs and there is no point in trying to stop them since it can't be done.
You can work on being the best and know that the people will come to you for subs because you are the best (not because you are the only one).

Damn Morph you just saved me some typing :)
99% of good people cannot be "punished" because 1% is doing something wrong and most important: keep doing what you are doing: being the best and people will come to you, thats what matters!

PS just decided to donate a fw weeks ago and now here we go ... I am cursed LOL

Have you seen the latest subs on "the other site"?
The Italian subs are from an italian site (U can see the credit at the end of the sub) e the other are taken from other sites...
The people from "the other site" yelling about how fast they are, and that they didn't steal subs, but looks like that there is no subs on "that site" in the last 24 h that are made from "that site"...
The subs they have (a very few by the way) are from other sites....
Good news: they let the credits on the subs.

Well, people from "other site", the evidence is in front of everyone's eyes:
Addic7ed stop to release subs, and .... TA-DAAAAA, "your site" have no more subs, and the few that U can find are taken from other sites!!!

(ps: the italian subs taken from an italian site, are exactly the same, but with different author... Well, I learn something new today: "Author" = someone that download something from somewhere and post it somewhere else with his own name.... LOL) (at least, on the end on the sub you can read the italian site name, so thank you New Author! lol)

Sorry for my poor English, but I'm from Italy.
I hope everyone understand.

Zero Empire

That's great news actually, I think it's the first time they acknowledge the works of others in that way!
  • Like 1

One question:

Why every body is asking for copiright if Adicted and subtitulos dont have a little right over the series. I understand that you made english subtitles for people that have some problem for listeningand you made this from ilegal videos that another person took and put on web without respect COPYRIGHT. And after that anothers personas and websites take these english subtitles and translate again and again and again. NO ONE OF U have a Fuking COPYRIGHT.

EDIT BY MOD: You know that a subtitle it's made of text and times, right? even if you translate the text, who did the times?

Damn Morph you just saved me some typing :)
99% of good people cannot be "punished" because 1% is doing something wrong and most important: keep doing what you are doing: being the best and people will come to you, thats what matters!

PS just decided to donate a fw weeks ago and now here we go ... I am cursed LOL

So, in a nutshell, because something isn't fair, it has to be accepted, like it is.
No energy should be invested in change, because everything is determined.

And for doing the best, so the people will come, when everything from here
is copied, and say, everyone begins to think, the copycats are the best,
now, what would happen in this scenario...

"It doesn't matter wether their subs are good or bad."
This one really made me kinda sad.
  • Like 1

Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

I am sad to see the subtitle community in this state.

The issue seems to be the credit going to the person that actually created the subtitle.
The second issue seems to be subtitle integrity.

These issues can be resolved using the same methods we use daily to verify the binary contents of our favorite show is intact.
By adding parity files to the download. This is the basic idea.

Second you start a Logo “Honest subtitles”. This logo will be awarded to cooperating site admins. Subtitle users can look for and find “Honest subtitle sites” where you will know that a subtitle has not be tampered with. You can verify this because it is distributed in some kind of archive format including .par2 and .sfv files.

Personally I would use RSA technology. The subtitle writer creates a key pair and signs it’s translation text using his secret key. His public key, published somewhere, can then be used to verify both the contents and the origin of the subtitle text. To make this easy for the subtitle user, you could write a small program which will take the subtitle text and the verification signature and does it for him.

WE ALL BENEFIT. The writers will have the proper credit, good willing site admins will have their proud logo and we subtitle users will be assured of quality.

So, in a nutshell, because something isn't fair, it has to be accepted, like it is.
No energy should be invested in change, because everything is determined.

And for doing the best, so the people will come, when everything from here
is copied, and say, everyone begins to think, the copycats are the best,
now, what would happen in this scenario...

"It doesn't matter wether their subs are good or bad."
This one really made me kinda sad.

In a nutshell you should be able to see what can be changed and what can't. There is a saying that goes like: Idiots die for ideals.
Selfdestructing this site because some other site (that I haven't even heard of) is stealing subs is let's say, not a very intelligent thing to do.

This is laughable. The other site allways left the credits from the files that were downloaded from addic7ed. The only edition belongs to the translations made on their site. There's a video around showing "proof" of the editing... but you'll see that the only files they download in that video are the ones translated in their site, not the ones uploaded for members of addic7ed in the other site, just try for yourselves and you'll see that in that case the credits to addic7ed remains... so this is ridiculous.

Are you asking for a copyright?.... for a file hosted in a free access server?... for a file in plain text?. You have several versions of this so called "war", and none of them makes any sense.

And keep giving me negative points just for telling the truth. Thanks.

EDIT: You know very well that the negative points are because you wrote 61 in just 1 day, that's juts called trolling xD

Personally I would use RSA technology. The subtitle writer creates a key pair and signs it’s translation text using his secret key. His public key, published somewhere, can then be used to verify both the contents and the origin of the subtitle text. To make this easy for the subtitle user, you could write a small program which will take the subtitle text and the verification signature and does it for him.

WE ALL BENEFIT. The writers will have the proper credit, good willing site admins will have their proud logo and we subtitle users will be assured of quality.

You really think that 99% of the users will care if the .srt file that they are downloading is signed and came from the one that did the actual translation?
Let's go further into this idea of yours:what about the people that use addic7ed english subs for foreign language translation? How will your PKI solution work there?
People will either deside to credit addic7ed as the source or be asses and claim to be the the source of the subs. Whatever you do there is no way to control that.

In a previous post someone suggested that Addic7ed should use a non-modifiable subs format like .sub & .idx. If it was possible, it would solve the current issue since the credits couldn't be removed any longer.
And Addic7ed could work in partnership with other subs websites to share its work according to their rules. If they only distributed the modifiable subs files to admin, it'd easy to control if the credits are left untouched or not.

Maybe, this scenario is impossible but I hope there's someone with a good idea to allow Addic7ed to work with all the adknowledgement they deserve.

You really think that 99% of the users will care if the .srt file that they are downloading is signed and came from the one that did the actual translation?
Let's go further into this idea of yours:what about the people that use addic7ed english subs for foreign language translation? How will your PKI solution work there?
People will either deside to credit addic7ed as the source or be asses and claim to be the the source of the subs. Whatever you do there is no way to control that.

I can not speak for the mind of other subtitle users. If i guess it might be that their interest is primerly in availability and quality. Using "Honest subtiles" will also ensure some level of quality.

Concerning other translators (and or additional work), make them part of the system. To create a new "Honest subtitle" you will have to use the software where your additions are a separated from the original (known as diffs) and can be merged into them delivering the new version of the translation text. This is common practice using any revision system. The original translation is still available and thus verifiable. The advantage here is that other translators can sign their "diffs" and be given due credit without compromising the original author.

Dear addic7ed crew, this is my first post here and most likely will be the last.

I'm from Indonesia and I watch American tv shows because of the lack of even mediocre quality local show here. Seriously, watching most Indonesian tv dramas is an insult to people who still have brains (don't get me started on this). I read English way better than I write, listen or speak so naturally I need subtitle to help me understand those American shows I watch. I really appreciate your hard (and unpaid and most of the time underrated) work and I want to thank you for providing such high quality subtitles.

I tried to understand why you stopped releasing and after reading people's comments in this forum I came to conclusion: this looks like a war which you just can't win. You keep insisting that they should credit you while he keeps denying that he overloooked the users who had stolen your subtitles, and both sides won't budge a milimeter. Feels like a Mexican standoff and I can't do anything about it.

Just want to share this experience then. I tried to watch an episode without subtile. I had to crank the volume way up and use earphones. Twenty minutes later I still couldn't understand almost half the dialogue and I stopped watching because I couldn't find any enjoyment in doing it anymore. I also realized that I was well on my way of being a hearing-impaired person. So, if you won't release any subtitle, I have to give up my American show addiction and choose to watch Asian shows instead (those are usually hardsubbed, an option that you can consider).

I don't blame you or anyone else, I'm too tired to get angry at the situation. I won't even beg you to end the strike right now, I know you think you need to teach a lesson. I'm just sad and rather disappointed. That's all. Sorry for my bad English and my rambling. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

One question:

Why every body is asking for copiright if Adicted and subtitulos dont have a little right over the series. I understand that you made english subtitles for people that have some problem for listeningand you made this from ilegal videos that another person took and put on web without respect COPYRIGHT. And after that anothers personas and websites take these english subtitles and translate again and again and again. NO ONE OF U have a Fuking COPYRIGHT.

Are you thick or just fucking blind? It's about the FUCKING CREDITS for the subtitling. None ever asked for fucking copyrights.
  • Like 1

That's great news actually, I think it's the first time they acknowledge the works of others in that way!

I still don't get what's the official claim by addic7ed:

1° Subtitulos.es does not keep the credits of the original subs (This is false, you can check the video that "proof" point 2.)
2° Subtitulos.es does not keep the original credits in the subs they translate (This happens a lot, I think is wrong, but is arguable.)
3° Subtitulos.es takes spanish subs from addic7d and delete the credits. (Could have happened, but this is not subtitulos.es modus operandi.)
4° Subtitulos.es steal "on the fly" lines from the spanish subs of addic7ed (Happens every now and then, this has to be solve.)

In other news: all the music groups in the world released statements that they will stop making new music because what they have made so far is pirated on the internet.

• Like 1