Subtitles Stopped

honeybunny

Keep in mind that (and as we said several times), the goal of subtitulos is the Spanish version; the English one is just a tool. The reason for using 99% of the times the English version as base for translating is that usually English version is the first source of subs available. And, besides that, Addic7ed ones are IMO one of the best (or rather the best) subs available out there (in English). We never denied that.

I have to disagree:

-First of all, Alex28 stated that the only thing they want is that the original credits (English ones) remain untouched. Afaik, he's never referred to the Spanish ones.
-Seriously, 5-10%? I agree on subs made from scratch, but translation takes some time too ;)

First of all it's not a "tool". A tool is something that you use to help you complete a larger project. The English subs are the basis for your entire work. Like in the example of the book I gave. Someone writes, edits and produces a final version of a book with all proper spelling, punctuation, formatting and organization. Then you take that book and you translate it into another language. The English Subs are not a tool, they are the source.

Using that example it's pretty easy to justify my 5-10% of the total work involved of creating the translated subtitle. I understand it takes work but the translation is a fraction of the whole process of creating an entire subtitle.

I'm sorry you feel that if someone writes, edits and produces a final version of a book that all credit and mention to that person(s) can be removed if it's translated into another language.

You really think that 99% of the users will care if the .srt file that they are downloading is signed and came from the one that did the actual translation?

Whatever you do there is no way to control that.

First of all, there's dozens of posts here from people that have explicitly stated that they started coming to addic7ed to get their subs because they saw on a sub that they downloaded had credit to addic7ed in it. So obviously users do care about where something came from when it's something that is the best and quickest.

And that is the whole point of this entire ordeal. There is a way to CONTROL it. That is all that was asked from the beginning. It's the owner/operator/moderators job to control what goes on within their own site. The issue was brought up and instead of the owner/operator/moderator Gabriel just ignored it which implies that he doesn't care and condones it. So screw him, and I am glad the strike is making more people aware of the source of the subs that they enjoyed on that site he runs.
  • Like 2

First of all it's not a "tool". A tool is something that you use to help you complete a larger project. The English subs are the basis for your entire work. Like in the example of the book I gave. Someone writes, edits and produces a final version of a book with all proper spelling, punctuation, formatting and organization. Then you take that book and you translate it into another language. The English Subs are not a tool, they are the source.

Using that example it's pretty easy to justify my 5-10% of the total work involved of creating the translated subtitle. I understand it takes work but the translation is a fraction of the whole process of creating an entire subtitle.

I'm sorry you feel that if someone writes, edits and produces a final version of a book that all credit and mention to that person(s) can be removed if it's translated into another language.

Not at all, a tool is something helping you to achieve a goal. But anyway, I was just pointing out that the goal of subtitulos is the Spanish version, not the English itself.

You can't use the example of a book, because in a book the writer is the one creating the content inside. And of course it's a fraction, but 5-10% is not enough, not even close.

Not at all, a tool is something helping you to achieve a goal. But anyway, I was just pointing out that the goal of subtitulos is the Spanish version, not the English itself.

You can't use the example of a book, because in a book the writer is the one creating the content inside. And of course it's a fraction, but 5-10% is not enough, not even close.

Ok 50%? For the sake of argument? Fine 50%, so half of the work is translating and the other half is given to you by someone else, so if one that does 50% translating is going to take credit then why doesn't the other 50% get equal credit?
  • Like 1

No matter what you do, this other site won't cooperate with you. I mean, what happens if they leave your credits in the subs? Their users realize all they get is a copy and go to the source instead: addic7ed. The other site already lost translators to you. Now lose users? Not going to happen.

I used to go to Subscene for my subs, but since almost everything started to be a copy of your site (uploaded by yourself or with credits given), your site got my first address for subtitles.

So, there's not much you can do about the other site. Your strike isn't hurting the other site. They just use subs in less quality, while your site offers none. Less quality is still better than nothing, so this makes them the winner somehow.

What you can do, IMHO: Ignore them. Yours site is going strong. Support is strong. Quality will prevail. If you can't ignore them, then limit downloads to registered user + severely limit amount of subs one user can leech in a day (most people would be happy with 5 subs a day I think). Install a captcha system and or time limit between downloads, so mass downloading your subs will be quite annoying. Or just ask for donations (I'd chip in again) to DDoS the other site to finally get it over with and declare the "subtitle sites war" for started...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry Addic7ed.

There is absolutely no way you can claim any rights to your transcribed subs. In fact, transcribing them is illegal as the actual script and wordings are copyrighted.

Get the site back on XBMC or I am sure you'll regret it as people will find other sites.

you never stop, do you? We claim the rights on the work we do. Do you understand that? No one said he/she claims the rights on THE TEXT or God knows what, just the 1-2 hours work they do on that 50kb file.. that's theirs.
Want other websites? Feel free to go to opensubtitles, tvsubtitles or you name it. They get it from us anyway.
You also replied to an old thread. This thread is closed because the "subtitles stopped" issue has been resolved. If you still wanna continue with "illegal subtitles" and God knows what, open a thread and i'll be happy to waste my time reading your posts.

(Always wondering, why do this internet super-heroes that defend the legal material use illegal one?)

• Like 3

Changing the world. One subtitle at a time.