Subtitles Stopped

honeybunny

So the way im seeing things, the admin of subtitulos.es didn't have all the fault. He might be negligible at some issues like banning and deleting comments but the users are causing this problem not the admins. I get that the admin should have controlled all this but maybe it got over him at some point.
he's an admin. ignorance is no excuse. he's supposed to know

I am long time member of Addic7ed, and the contribution of Addic7ed can not be matched at all. I suffer hearing, and therefore, i am reliable on the subtitle from Addic7ed, and PS3 with Aviadsubs have made our lives easier. I am slightly disappointed with the disagreement between Addic7ed and other site, but it's understandable why Addic7ed must encourage this action to spread the message, and the contribution from them, their credits shouldn't be ignored at all. I am with Addic7ed in this decision taken not to upload for a while, and that will show 'who is the boss' , and shed some truth to several people, and in a way, Addic7ed will have attention from people who never heard about Addic7ed, will definitely join as the service of Addic7ed can not be matched at all, as i said earlier. Long live Addic7ed and everyone who provide service for the site.

Open a text editor.
search for addic7ed.
delete lines.
done.

How about if addic7ed gets *really* creative at signing? You can't really and easily find all occurrences if text is spelled differently every time.
You could, for example, write "addic7ed" as well as "a d d i c 7 e d" or with just 2-3 random distributed spaces. You could replace spaces by underscores. Or by other non-printing chars.
Not sure if the idea is worth considering; but I thought it's worth sharing :)

Thank you for all your work and your efforts!

I usually get all my subs from subtitulos.es but i didnt know anything about this, i thought it was weird that there wasnt any news subtitles so i did some research and i found this thread....well i dont think i can do something, but at least i will be coming here starting now instead of subtitulos.es, its just not good what they are doing, soo i hope everything will be ok in no time =) and if theres anything i can do, well, im here

Hi!

I want to thank everyone at addic7ed for the service your doing!
You're doing a fantastic job and deserve credit for the work you spend hours and hours to satisfy us.

And to the admin over at subtitulos.es - get your finger out of your *** and get some more people to control your community. The way things start to look like; it's some users publishing
work done by others - control them. Don't act like a kid "I didn't do it - so it's not my fault" It's your site!

This can easily be solved by the people in wrong here.

Best wishes

Rr

he's an admin. ignorance is no excuse. he's supposed to know

I'm sorry, but I think that it would be like the admin of wikipedia knowing all of his posts, it's just impossible. YES there should be more mods and stuff like that, thing that now this admin (gabriel) (hopfully) has realized and i'm sure he'll take measures to correct everything that he can from now on (I hope so, for the sake of both websites)

I'm sorry, bt I think that it would be like the admin of wikipedia knowing all of his posts, it's just impossible. YES there should be more mods and stuff like that, thing that now this admin (gabriel) (hopefully) has realized and i'm sure he'll take measures to correct everything that he can from now on (I hope so, for the sake of both websites)

Always, always - some idiot wants to spoil things
Sent the spanish nutters a stop email and they are now spamming me (and everyone else it looks like) with official statements
They have pulled the condom of "not us" over they tiny pointed heads

I best stop now as I feel an obscene and rude outburst of pain and vituperation lurking and wanting to be applied to these naffin wankers

Hope this situation gets resolved, it would be like losing an arm watching addic7ed with no more subs.

Johnno

I'm sorry, but I think that it would be like the admin of wikipedia knowing all of his posts, it's just impossible. YES there should be more mods and stuff like that, thing that now this admin (gabriel) (hopfully) has realized and i'm sure he'll take measures to correct everything that he can from now on (I hope so, for the sake of both websites)

He's been noticed of all the issues tons of times. He did knew everything. He just doesn't care. He also promised those control-measures for last june, then for september, october, november... Will he finally react now? Let's hope so, but that wouldn't end the problems, since as I said, he knew what was going on and he didn't care.

That Spanish subtitles site is seriously ruining the subtitled watching pleasures of many of us. It's incredibly short-sighted of them to blatantly copy subtitles files and displaying it on their site, which actually is styled like Addic7ed's website as well. The smartest thing they could have done was enquire with Addic7ed and ask permission to mirror the Spanish subtitles to their users. I'm sure Addic7ed's team have no issues with someone mirroring subtitles. But stealing and offering for download without credits is a whole different matter.

A long time user of addic7ed reporting in. I never had the moral obligation or any other for that matter, in my mind to - register, post, say thanks, etc. until today - I find the patheticism more then unnecessary. I do, however, read the front page news. Reading the ones from today i was surprised by your decision. If you wanted to make a drama out of the problem this should have been on the front pages days, possibly even weeks before this decision has been made.

Back to my thinking - fan subtitling is a questionable sphere to discuss, from the legal side of things. That being said, we lack the proper information. What are the crude numbers of subtitles being stolen? What is the final goal of this movement? You sure have to realize that by being popular as you are there are a LOT more sites, a LOT more people using the subs, yes, without any credit, and yes, without your knowledge, so? On the other hand for each of those there is a x number of other sites which do properly credit.

So tell me, is this a question of ego, money, or something else? I fail to realize that. You can skip the "hard work", "my work" and similar explanations. This is the Internet, what did you expect going into a "shady" area of personal work like this. You should adapt, and adapt fast, otherwise people will adapt to you not adapting. If you disappear someone else will take your place, just the way things work, especially with "scene" "release groups" of all kinds.

The irony extensions are the ways of adapting, do you make a drama out of things, would you like your users to "flood" their site as someone mentioned, would that legally-happy solution made you happy? Should the users take up sticks and bats? ...Speaking of irony, in between writing this and watching my illegally downloaded Misfits episode i noticed another news post about a certain guy now falsely crediting you as his partners in TBBT subs - that just makes me giggle inside. Before logging out i will only add that i sympathize with all the hearing impaired people posting here, but don't worry guys, you'll find the subs soon.

• Like 1

That Spanish subtitles site is seriously ruining the subtitled watching pleasures of many of us. It's incredibly short-sighted of them to blatantly copy subtitles files and displaying it on their site, which actually is styled like Addic7ed's website as well. The smartest thing they could have done was enquire with Addic7ed and ask permission to mirror the Spanish subtitles to their users. I'm sure Addic7ed's team have no issues with someone mirroring subtitles. But stealing and offering for download without credits is a whole different matter.

We offered him something like that, posting addic7ed logo as we do with our friends sites. He never answered to that either, of course.

How about if addic7ed gets *really* creative at signing? You can't really and easily find all occurrences if text is spelled differently every time.
You could, for example, write "addic7ed" as well as "a d d i c 7 e d" or with just 2-3 random distributed spaces. You could replace spaces by underscores. Or by other non-printing chars.

It's no use, because anytime they can copy the subs line by line. In the other hand will be a bit tedious if the credits appear a lot of times. The solution depends on Gabriel and his commitment to endorse the policy of keeping the credits in his website, if there is no moderators, probably need then.

P.S. Sorry for my English

Because of some unfortunate events we are stopping our releases.

Our reasons are the users from a Spanish mediocre site (subtitulos.es) stealing and removing credits from our subtitles,
rudely copy pasting our translations to their site and their admin who never answered any of our questions and requests,
even more, he banned us from their site and forum when asking for the users that removed the credits to be warned.

We regret that so many of you will be unable to enjoy your favorite shows, but trust us,
it got to a point when we have tried everything to rationally solve the issue and got no reply from their admin.

They must understand they depend on us and that without our subtitles. Because the few that they'll be able
to get from the Chinese sites that also release English subtitles, will not compare in neither quantity nor quality
with what we provide.

I'm very sorry to hear that. But I think you chose a wrong solution to deal with this situation. There will be always thieves and you cannot change that.
Maybe, you will teach a lesson to these particular spanish jerks this time and they close their site or stop stealing from you (probably not), but tomorrow 2 new sites like that will appear, and you cannot change that. But what price do you pay for teaching this lesson? The community of users generated around addic7ed will be gone in a week, or at least most of the people who doesn't care where subtitles came from. These users will go to tvsubtitles.net or any other similar subtitles site, and if they get what they want there, they will never come back. Don't get me wrong, I think you should care about your visitors not for their sake, but for your own.
The decision you made is emotional, not rational. What would I do if I were you? Well, you have some money from advertisers. Order DDoS if you want a revenge. Or do not ;)
But don't stop doing what you do great or all the resources spent and efforts made to build this community will be spent for nothing. There will be always thieves, again.

Just searching for addic7ed using find inside a subtitle is not the only way.
You can just open a subtitle and scroll down and look where the credit lines are and then just delete them, so what you say is not a solution, but I want to thank you for your involvement.

doc.

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

I hope this "strike" end soon because im part of the biggest (and the best ;)) subtitle site in Finland and Addic7ed.com is very important part of our operation. But we undestand this situation because we have fighted the same problem couple times and it sucks. I will send email to info@subtitulos.es and ask them to stop stealing. U guys have Finland support :P

Sorry about my bad English, im just a translator :blink:

[...]
So tell me, is this a question of ego, money, or something else?
[...]

How about to be fair ?

doc.
  • Like 1

103iruh.gif

The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do!

IMPORTANT LINK:

I registered here only to tell you that this is a bullshit solution. You are as lame as they are if you made such a decision. Subtitles are stolen everyday. What if everybody stops subtitling movies and tv-shows ? I will not take any of your subtitles anymore and I hope everybody will do the same. Yeah, we're on strike, not you, bitchy little girls.

• Like 3

A long time user of addic7ed reporting in. I never had the moral obligation or any other for that matter, in my mind to - register, post, say thanks, etc. until today - I find the patheticism more then unnecessary.

Seriously?? You've been an addic7ed user for a "long time" and it never occurred to you that someone has to put a lot of time and effort so you can enjoy your favorite shows with quality subtitles so you don't have to miss a line? And what makes a simple "thank you" so pathetic, in your opinion? Because in my opinion, the only pathetic thing is that you've only acknowledged the site's existence so you can play down the translators' work. And yes, it is their work, so they have any reason to be proud of it.

Back to the main issue, I hope things will be resolved shortly. I really appreciate your subtitles.
  • Like 2

Let me clarify at first that I'm a huge fan of your site and you do a great job with the speed and quality of your subtitles. I respect your decision but i do also have some points like Jaster.

Your doing a job that you're not getting paid, you're posting subs on the Internet publically available to anyone. This means that things like these are expected to happen, almost all similar sites that are doing translations are having problems with other ones stilling subtitles and removing credits etc, i don't think that anyone can do something about it as also no one can stop people from downloading movies and shows from the Internet thus the need for .srt subtitles.

Said that i find the whole buzz a bit over-dramatic and exaggerating. By stopping your releases you are not accomplishing much at my opinion. You have allot of friends who are supporting and rooting for you, you have donors who are paying small amount for your needs, you're helping thousand of users to watch TV shows that otherwise will not be possible. Think about them and please reconsider your, allow me to say with all due respect, childish decision.

I really hope that this is just a strike and not a permanently shut-down.

I will send an email to the other site as well.
I will continue to donate to you every month.

best of luck,
Vassilis

• Like 2